Murder, She Wrote on Start TV

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
jimimac71

Murder, She Wrote on Start TV

Post by jimimac71 »

Start TV is showing episodes of Murder, She Wrote now.
They started with a 2 day marathon on July 3rd and the 4th.
It seems as if NBC/Universal will sell their old shows to anyone.
(Don't get me started on Monk).
Hibi

Re: Murder, She Wrote on Start TV

Post by Hibi »

Yes, I caught parts of the marathon over the wknd. They were unedited! (unlike Hallmark) Hoping the series itself will be unedited as well. Was nice to see the full opening and end credits for a change.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:24 pm Yes, I caught parts of the marathon over the wknd. They were unedited! (unlike Hallmark) Hoping the series itself will be unedited as well. Was nice to see the full opening and end credits for a change.
Yea, I dislike how some of the retro stations are dealing with the credits. E.g., showing the end-credits in very, very fine print as overlays over the last scene of the show. The shows feature supporting actors I like but may have forgotten, and I want to refresh my memory by seeing their name in the credits.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:33 pm
Hibi wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:24 pm Yes, I caught parts of the marathon over the wknd. They were unedited! (unlike Hallmark) Hoping the series itself will be unedited as well. Was nice to see the full opening and end credits for a change.
Yea, I dislike how some of the retro stations are dealing with the credits. E.g., showing the end-credits in very, very fine print as overlays over the last scene of the show. The shows feature supporting actors I like but may have forgotten, and I want to refresh my memory by seeing their name in the credits.
Start TV is a joint venture between Weigel Broadcasting (MeTV, Catchy Comedy, H&I, etc.) and the CBS News and Stations division of Paramount. It's programmed by Weigel and they have a policy on showing full credits.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm a big fan of MeTV. It puzzles me that M*A*S*H is in wide screen. I didn't think it was filmed that way.
Great American Family enlarges Murder, She Wrote to wide screen. You can tell as the opening credits drop off the bottom of the screen.
I've overlooked Start TV, but now have a better reason to check it out.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:33 pm
Hallmark doesnt even show credits. Except the episode credits in the beginning over the video.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: July 6th, 2023, 3:11 pm I'm a big fan of MeTV. It puzzles me that M*A*S*H is in wide screen. I didn't think it was filmed that way.
Great American Family enlarges Murder, She Wrote to wide screen. You can tell as the opening credits drop off the bottom of the screen.
Start is the same way (Full Screen) at least through my cable co. But at least the show is unedited!
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jimimac71 wrote: July 6th, 2023, 3:11 pm I'm a big fan of MeTV. It puzzles me that M*A*S*H is in wide screen. I didn't think it was filmed that way.
You're correct. It was filmed in Academy ratio (4:3). All TV shows were in this ratio (or the live/videotape TV equivalent of it) until digital/HD TV came about. What you see on MeTV is a compromise ratio (14:9), so a bit of the top and bottom of the frame is cut off to nearly fill a 16:9 frame. There should still be black bars/pillar boxes on either side, but they won't be as wide as they would be if a 4:3 picture was displayed.

MeTV only switched to a 16:9 feed to their affiliates in the mid-2010s. It was primarily to satisfy advertisers. Advertisers didn't want their 16:9 ads displayed in a letterboxed 4:3 feed, so MeTV switched. Some of their affiliates still use 4:3 though.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

txfilmfan, You are full of great knowledge!
Some of the 4:3 shows (Matlock) are a little wider than they should be. (MeTV)
A funny thing is Matlock on Pluto has better stereo sound than MeTV.
Namely, the opening credits.
In The Heat of the Night, on MeTV, fills the 16:9 screen too.
I don't watch it anywhere else.
Shows on Hallmark M&M make room for the HD letters on the right side.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Rather than start a new thread, I will add that Start TV is the ONLY place to watch Providence.
There is an incomplete DVD set of Providence.
It makes no sense to me for it not being on Peacock.
I was under the impression the person who started the thread could change the title.
Guess I'm thinking like an old TCM forum user.
I will probably continue watching Start TV instead of returning to Great American Family when Christmas in July is over.
I too enjoy reading the credits.
Like so many other channels, the ads are frustrating.
I only notice COZI taking advantage of overriding the ads and inserting local ads for the Comcast owned NBC affiliate that puts COZI on a sub-channel.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I wish all to know that: Murder, She Wrote (1984–1996) now has its own live channel on: PlutoTV.

The interesting thing about: PlutoTV is that there are fewer commercials and many less glitches when watching a live channel rather than watching a" On Demand programme.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Murder, She Wrote seems to be everywhere.
On the Roku Channel too.
There must be a reason.
NBC/Universal (Comcast) must be almost giving it away.
I don't think it is on COZI anymore. Go figure.
They are owned by Comcast.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

It's an epidemic!!!!! :D
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:19 am It's an epidemic!!!!! :D
Well, Perry Mason seems to be next to flood TV.
Start TV probably won't go there as it has a focus on female stars.
Perry has taken over Columbo on Great American Family.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 1:52 pm
Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:19 am It's an epidemic!!!!! :D
Well, Perry Mason seems to be next to flood TV.
Start TV probably won't go there as it has a focus on female stars.
Perry has taken over Columbo on Great American Family.
Yes, I've noticed that too. Perry on many of the channels running Murder, She Wrote and marathons on wknds. More so than they used to be!