September 2023 Schedule Posted, Dirk Bogarde is SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: September 2023 Schedule Posted, Dirk Bogarde is SOTM

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

CinemaInternational wrote: July 19th, 2023, 7:39 pm Bogarde is an unexpected, but welcome pick, since I'm not the most familiar with his filmography. It will be interesting to see if they decide to air his final film, 1990's Daddy Nostalgia, since his on-screen daughter in that film, Jane Birkin, just passed away.
I agree Dirk Bogarde is a welcome addition for SOTM since he is a foreign actor and SOTM rarely features such actors.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 19th, 2023, 8:46 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: July 19th, 2023, 7:39 pm Bogarde is an unexpected, but welcome pick, since I'm not the most familiar with his filmography. It will be interesting to see if they decide to air his final film, 1990's Daddy Nostalgia, since his on-screen daughter in that film, Jane Birkin, just passed away.
I agree Dirk Bogarde is a welcome addition for SOTM since he is a foreign actor and SOTM rarely features such actors.
Not only that but his movies are post-1960s and also very graphic. Night Porter and the Damned on in the 7PM time slot will make the censors shudder. :o
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Wow. This is great news. Well deserved, and long overdue! Maybe there's hope for JOAN BENNETT!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

j.lunatic wrote: July 15th, 2023, 9:27 am Heads up for the TCM premiere of Back Street (1932)--Criterion put out Imitation of Life (1934) and may be interested in more early John M. Stahl films (c'mom Seed and Only Yesterday).
That's wonderful news! I've never seen the original Back Street. Hope it isn't pulled for some reason.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 15th, 2023, 3:03 pm Waa!

Darling doesn't seem to be airing as part of the Dirke Bogarde Star Of The Month tribute ----unless it's one of the TBA titles.
Understandably Julie Christie is the focus in most discussion about Darling ---- she is fantastic in the movie --- but Dirke Bogarde's performance is also amazing.

WTH????????????????????
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: July 15th, 2023, 1:38 pm
Swithin wrote: July 15th, 2023, 8:11 am My cursory look reveals some good stuff, particularly The Damned (1969) in the Dirk Bogarde series. I hope it's the fullest version. Is that a TCM premiere?
A bit of ambiguity for this title.

MovieCollectorOH does not list The Damned (1969) as being shown in his TCM history database.

However, the archived TCM web site lists The Damned (1969) as being shown on TCM Imports late on the evening of June 17, 2012, so I did not list it as a premiere in the schedule for September, 2023.

I'm pretty sure that The Damned was on the schedule, then pulled. It was never shown. I remember as I was looking forward to seeing it.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

LostHorizons wrote: July 19th, 2023, 11:27 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 19th, 2023, 8:46 pm
Not only that but his movies are post-1960s and also very graphic. Night Porter and the Damned on in the 7PM time slot will make the censors shudder. :o
Well, definitely yes, although I think both of them have been on the schedule before. I saw where another film on the schedule (not Bogarde, but still in the month) is the 1981 remake of The Postman Always Rings Twice, and that has some of the most explicit sex scenes in a mainstream film.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

The BBC documentary, The Epic That Never Was (1965) narrated by Bogarde about the aborted von Sternberg film I, Claudius starring Charles Laughton and Merle Oberon would be a nice addition if at all possible.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

"....For his debut picks, he chose Vincente Minnelli’s “Meet Me in St. Louis” (1944), Douglas Sirk’s “Imitation of Life” (1959), Gordon Douglas’s “Them!” (1954), Minnelli’s “The Bad and the Beautiful” (1952), and Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Wrong Man” (1957). Scorsese and Anderson’s own picks are forthcoming, and the idea is that there will be at least one of these videos, produced for social media, from one of the directors each month during the time that they are advisors, a term which will last until June 2024. ...."

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Most people are probably unaware that Martin Scorsese had been writing a monthly article for TCM for many years where he did something similar - picking out films from the upcoming TCM schedule to recommend and provide context for them. The ‘Scorsese Screens’ articles were regularly posted on the TCM web site up until June of this year, about the same time that the big round of layoffs hit TCM and the three directors took action to try to put things back. Of course, unless you specifically were looking for the articles they could be hard to find. It’s also typical of the TCM web site to not provide a way to find articles for prior months, so all of the great information that Mr. Scorsese had posted was essentially discarded.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

cmovieviewer wrote: August 31st, 2023, 8:59 pm Most people are probably unaware that Martin Scorsese had been writing a monthly article for TCM for many years where he did something similar - picking out films from the upcoming TCM schedule to recommend and provide context for them. The ‘Scorsese Screens’ articles were regularly posted on the TCM web site up until June of this year, about the same time that the big round of layoffs hit TCM and the three directors took action to try to put things back. Of course, unless you specifically were looking for the articles they could be hard to find. It’s also typical of the TCM web site to not provide a way to find articles for prior months, so all of the great information that Mr. Scorsese had posted was essentially discarded.

I've been aware of Scorsese's articles from the start, but they were usually kinda hard to find via the unwieldy NPG e-mails. So it's probably not a bad idea to make them (& the others) more accessible(?) through podcasts :smiley_chinrub:
:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM