BACK STREET

Hibi

BACK STREET

Post by Hibi »

So what did other viewers think of the film? So glad I finally got to see it. Creaky soap opera to be sure, but well acted and very well directed by Stahl. Liked the camera work too. The episodic story left some plot points dangling (what did the car inventor think of Rae dumping him and running back to Boles? And what did daddy think of Rae's lifestyle? He's dropped, too, after the early scenes) I thought this was the best version of the 3. The second is well acted, but Boyer comes off as a cad overall. Boles, in this version, is more sincere and nicer (though still selfish). The 60s remake is pretty bad, saved in part by Vera Miles as the shrewish wife (which is a minor part in the first two versions). Dunne is good, as always. She played the same kind of part in The Secret of Madame Blanche shortly after this.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: BACK STREET

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: September 11th, 2023, 9:14 am So what did other viewers think of the film? So glad I finally got to see it. Creaky soap opera to be sure, but well acted and very well directed by Stahl. Liked the camera work too. The episodic story left some plot points dangling (what did the car inventor think of Rae dumping him and running back to Boles? And what did daddy think of Rae's lifestyle? He's dropped, too, after the early scenes) I thought this was the best version of the 3. The second is well acted, but Boyer comes off as a cad overall. Boles, in this version, is more sincere and nicer (though still selfish). The 60s remake is pretty bad, saved in part by Vera Miles as the shrewish wife (which is a minor part in the first two versions). Dunne is good, as always. She played the same kind of part in The Secret of Madame Blanche shortly after this.
This was my first time seeing the film and agree with your comments (expect for any comments about the other 2 versions since I haven't seen them).

Bloes understated actor style worked here and as you note, Dunne is good, as always (but also understated which worked well with how Bloes approached the role). Given the plot this pre-code was somewhat tame (as compared to other pre-codes that featured similar situations).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Agree, it's pretty tame by pre-code standards. Boles and Dunne have a few chaste kisses. It's up the audience to fill in the rest. The first remake follows the first pretty closely except Boyer comes off more caddish in the remake. The 60s remake updates the story to the 60s and Rae is a top fashion designer who pines away for John Gavin.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I had never seen any of the three versions before. Not really my cup of tea. I did watch the first version. One of those
solid old handkerchief melodramas and fairly well done. I enjoyed the small town vibe before everyone moved to NYC. I
kept waiting for Irene Dunne to wake up and figure out that Boles, despite his good looks, money, and charm, was basically
a self-centered jerk. She never did.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Nope. (Andree) I didn't realize this until today, but in the novel, Boles character was Jewish and under pressure from his mother to marry a Jewish girl. Given the times, not too surprising this was dropped in the film versions. It does dilute the man's motivations in the story considerably.
Last edited by Hibi on September 11th, 2023, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: September 11th, 2023, 3:59 pm "FANNIE wrote it!! IRENE played it!!!"

Ah, there's nothing like a double feature of Fannie Hurst novels screen adaptations starring Irene Dunne. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you, but there's nothing like it. You may want to give Irene a swift kick at the end of IMITATION OF LIFE for being overly concerned about her daughter's schoolgirl crush and for not grabbing Warren William for herself--or, depending on your tastes, for not grabbing Ned Sparks a decade or so earlier and having a happy marriage with a funny and dependable if not handsome guy.

But that's nothing compared to BACK STREET, where you may want to SCREAM at Irene in addition to giving her a continuing series of swift kicks in the rear for giving up everything for an occasional tussle with, yes, John Boles, who kept being cast as weaklings in women's pictures. Boles can be somewhat cute, and his soft-spoken Southern accent is appealing, but giving up an independent life for him? No way! At least Margaret Sullavan in the 1940s remake gave up everything for Charles Boyer. In the 1950s remake Susan Hayward was backstreeting for John Gavin, who was sort of the 1950s equivalent of John Boles, but Susan was a star fashion designer! Heidi Klum and Nina Garcia would have worn her clothes!

Poor John Boles is stuck with all the dialogue that any woman who occasionally uses her brain would recognize as Red Signal Alerts. Of course he took a four-week European vacation he neglected to tell her about. Of course he was back in New York two days before he telephoned. Of course he only tells her he loves her when she's starting to show a little gumption and expect more of him. This is exactly the strength of BACK STREET, though it may be perverse to think so, that Irene gives up so much, gets so little in return, and believes she's experiencing a great romantic passion. Smart woman, foolish choices. Really, really, really foolish.
I hate to inform you, but Irene was not in Imitation of Life! That was Claudette. Irene did appear in Symphony of Six Million another Hurst adaptation, though she plays second fiddle to Ricardo Cortez as his wife.
Last edited by Hibi on September 11th, 2023, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I think Back Street would've pushed a few more buttons if Rae wound up getting pregnant by Walter and raised an out of wedlock child! (SOB!)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: September 11th, 2023, 4:03 pm Nope. (Andree) I didn't realize this until today, but in the novel, Boles character was Jewish and under pressure from his mother to marry a Jewish girl. Given the times, not too surprising this was dropped in the film versions. It does dilute the man's motivations in the story considerably.
Me neither. I'm not very familiar with Fanny Hurst nor have I have read any of her novels. A nice Jewish
girl of course. Yeah, I can see why they switched things around. The movie couldn't get any more Waspy.
If I have the plot right, I wonder why Boles didn't simply call Dunne and make another date. But that would
make too much sense. I got a kick out of the son giving Irene the evil eye. Can't tell if he's mad or just
constipated.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"I gave up my career so I could always be here when you needed me"

I kept screaming at Rae throughout, lol.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 11th, 2023, 7:34 pm "I gave up my career so I could always be here when you needed me"

I kept screaming at Rae throughout, lol.
How often did you scream at Kate Hepburn?
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on September 12th, 2023, 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I don't think Kate gave up everything for Spencer Tracy, lol.

I did scream at her, though, while watching THE IRON PETTICOAT, wondering why she would even consider taking such a part!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 11th, 2023, 7:25 pm
Hibi wrote: September 11th, 2023, 4:03 pm Nope. (Andree) I didn't realize this until today, but in the novel, Boles character was Jewish and under pressure from his mother to marry a Jewish girl. Given the times, not too surprising this was dropped in the film versions. It does dilute the man's motivations in the story considerably.
Me neither. I'm not very familiar with Fanny Hurst nor have I have read any of her novels. A nice Jewish
girl of course. Yeah, I can see why they switched things around. The movie couldn't get any more Waspy.
If I have the plot right, I wonder why Boles didn't simply call Dunne and make another date. But that would
make too much sense. I got a kick out of the son giving Irene the evil eye. Can't tell if he's mad or just
constipated.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

It seems Fanny Hurst led a sort of Back Street life herself. According to imdb, she married in secret; lived at a separate residence; kept her maiden name. And it was a scandal when it came out. Unsure what would be so scandalous about being married, or why she felt it had to be kept a secret. Weird.
laffite

Post by laffite »

The end was very romanticized (of course) and I believe to instill in the audience that it was in fact worth it. (Although, no modern woman would say so) Yes, she gave up all but she is spiritually elevated by memories of Boles. It did look kind of pathetic she sitting in that chair with the portrait of him. It was a "happy" ending with a ton of bittersweet. Kurt was a goofball with that ridiculous haircut but later turned into a rich, polished business man who loved her to distraction. It adds to the sting that Rae turned him down.
Mona