Bug Night

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Masha

Re: Bug Night

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: September 21st, 2023, 6:41 pm
Sorry Masha, but I'm not getting the connection between that old idiom I used earlier "as cute as a bug's ear" and with the idea of something being edible???
The phrase is not in question.

You stated: "...to graze upon that actress..."

The most common definitions for that word are: "to eat small amounts of food periodically throughout the day" and: "scratching or injuring lightly".

I believe that you are sufficiently an old-school gentleman that you would not willingly hurt a lady and so the second definition is moot.

That leaves me with only the recourse that you agree with the philosophy expressed in: Motel Hell (1980): "Meat's meat, and man's gotta eat!" and wish to process her into snacks.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: September 21st, 2023, 11:14 pm
Sorry Masha, but I'm not getting the connection between that old idiom I used earlier "as cute as a bug's ear" and with the idea of something being edible???

The most common definitions for that word are: "to eat small amounts of food periodically throughout the day" and: "scratching or injuring lightly".

I believe that you are sufficiently an old-school gentleman that you would not willingly hurt a lady and so the second definition is moot.

That leaves me with only the recourse that you agree with the philosophy expressed in: Motel Hell (1980): "Meat's meat, and man's gotta eat!" and wish to process her into snacks.
Oh, NOW I get it!

LOL

I must have reread that sentence of mine at least three times and still missed recognizing my typo there.

Thanks for the clarification, as I was beginning to think that there might be some kind of hors d'oeuvres out there named "bugs ears" I had never heard of!

(...wouldn't have suprised me none if there were, and considering there are already things called "pu pu platters" being served at parties across the globe, right?!) ;)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: September 21st, 2023, 6:23 pm
Hibi wrote: September 21st, 2023, 8:35 am I think that's one bug movie I haven't seen! Giant Slugs?????
TCM has shown this film starring Tim Holt (in one of this final film roles) and of course the previously mentioned (and as I said, the "cute as a bug's ear") Audrey Dalton a few times in the past, Hibi. I think I ran across their previous showing of it within the past two years or so.

It's actually not badly made at all, and in my view deserves a higher rating than the 5.7 that the IMDb website here has given it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050722/
Strange that I've missed it all this time. I'll have to keep my eyes out for it.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 1:07 am
I must have reread that sentence of mine at least three times and still missed recognizing my typo there.
"Poofreading is an art, not a science."
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 12:54 pm
"Poofreading is an art, not a science."
Well, you know how it is.

Some people are SO obsessed and preoccupied with finding the superfluous 'u' that they'll often overlook the superfluous 'r'. ;)

(...well, that's my excuse here anyway, and I'm stickin' with it)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Masha wrote: September 21st, 2023, 11:14 pm

Oh, NOW I get it!

LOL

Thanks for the clarification, as I was beginning to think that there might be some kind of hors d'oeuvres out there named "bugs ears" I had never heard of!

(...wouldn't have suprised me none if there were, and considering there are already things called "pu pu platters" being served at parties across the globe, right?!) ;)
Thanks to all for solving this mystery. I also wondered if bug's ear was a slang term for a type of food!
Masha

Post by Masha »

jimimac71 wrote: September 21st, 2023, 2:33 pm Well, in November, Dargo could fest his eyes on a 50 foot smorgasbord.
I believe that the physics might prove a bit daunting.

laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 4:28 pm
jimimac71 wrote: September 21st, 2023, 2:33 pm Well, in November, Dargo could fest his eyes on a 50 foot smorgasbord.
I believe that the physics might prove a bit daunting.

Oh, wow, physics !!! Who knew? I care not for daunting. I shoulda studied that in college.
Mona
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Those are some serious drumsticks.
tom thumb plays in November too.
Imagine 50 feet versus 6 inches.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jimimac71 wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 7:10 pm Those are some serious drumsticks.
I'm afraid your post calls to mind a couple of lines from Mae West:

Last edited by Swithin on September 23rd, 2023, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Swithin wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 8:52 pm
jimimac71 wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 7:10 pm Those are some serious drumsticks.
I'm afraid your post calls to mind a couple of lines from Mae West:

Guess I should have expected that, plus it's funny.
My point, a 50 foot woman and a 6 inch man.
That's all I'm gonna say. :smiley_innocent:
Masha

Post by Masha »

Paige! No!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

My original intent was tom is 6 inches tall versus a 50 foot (600) inches tall female.
Thinking something not appropriate for a family forum isn't beyond me, but not what you think. :smiley_shades:
I used lower case for tom thumb, which is how I thought it was.
Not sure how I stumbled on that but I was wrong.
I do want to see Tom Thumb again but not the other one.
Sounds quite lame.