Gay and Streaming

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
jimimac71

Re: Gay and Streaming

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm going to put my 2 cents worth in here with a link to Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" recording.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_ ... John_song)
I won't include the video, but the description is very good.
Watch the video if you're curious. As music videos go, it was amusing and creative.
The song did very well even though some radio stations banned it from airplay.
I won't include the video for Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Ding-a-Ling
The song was also a big hit regardless of the lyrics.
My point, from my comfort zone, music, you never can tell what people will like or dislike.
Kind of thought this would appeal to Dargo:
https://www.dykesonbikes.org/
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: November 20th, 2023, 12:59 pm
...Kind of thought this would appeal to Dargo:
https://www.dykesonbikes.org/
Well, certaining the thing about motorcycles here, jimimac.

(...BUT remember, I said "LIPSTICK Lesbians" earlier here, dude!!!)

;)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

HoldenIsHere wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:03 pm
Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 1:19 pm With respect, Tiki, people hate all kinds of things. But nevertheless there is still right and wrong in this world, and it would be the right thing to do, now that it has been requested, to set up the LGBTQ+ forum in the Films section.
I agree with TikiSoo on this one, Swithin.

LGBTQ+ is not an actual movie genre.

To me having a separate LGBTQ+ forum on a movie discussion board is demeaning.
It would be the same as having a "Black" forum or a "Jewish" forum in my opinion.
Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:28 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:25 pm
Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:20 pm We had it on TCM, they have it in "the other place." I think it is a separate genre, and it represents a kid of "safe space" as well. If someone wants to propose a section for the other topics you mention, that's fine too.

Even MovieChat.org has one, in its "Genre Zone" section. It's the norm now.

https://moviechat.org/bd0000164/LGBT-Film

But even if it is not exactly-precisely-perfectly an "actual movie genre," it's still the right thing to do.
I propose we start a "hillbilly" forum then.

It's only fair,
Holden, I'm surprised at you.
Swithin, you know that I like and respect you a lot, but's it's presumptuous to think that you speak for all gay people.

If a movie with gay characters is a comedy, what's the problem with starting a thread in the Comedy forum?

What surprises and disheartens me is that you mock the fact that I find a segregated forum demeaning and offensive.
Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:52 pm Well, Lomm will decide what he wants to do. I'm hopeful that he will take into account the current state of the world and its sensitivities.

Also, this site labels the section in question "The Films," not "Genres," so I think an LGBTQ+ section can be added without outraging you too much, Holden (I hope).
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Can't speak for everyone, obviously, but as a gay man rapidly approaching 60, it might be, as many things are, a generational thing.

Those of us that are older came from a time where segregation, in real life, was a necessary thing, for our safety. Younger folks may not feel that same need today.

I for one am ambivalent on this issue. I can see why the request was made - to avoid conflicts (ironically). This forum's community is rather small, however, and it seems most of us behave in a mature manner, for the most part. So I can see where separating it off may not be necessary here.

Of course, I don't really know the motivation for the original request. It's just my guess. I may be completely off track.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: November 20th, 2023, 4:58 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:03 pm
Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 1:19 pm With respect, Tiki, people hate all kinds of things. But nevertheless there is still right and wrong in this world, and it would be the right thing to do, now that it has been requested, to set up the LGBTQ+ forum in the Films section.
I agree with TikiSoo on this one, Swithin.

LGBTQ+ is not an actual movie genre.

To me having a separate LGBTQ+ forum on a movie discussion board is demeaning.
It would be the same as having a "Black" forum or a "Jewish" forum in my opinion.
Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:28 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:25 pm

I propose we start a "hillbilly" forum then.

It's only fair,
Holden, I'm surprised at you.
Swithin, you know that I like and respect you a lot, but's it's presumptuous to think that you speak for all gay people.

If a movie with gay characters is a comedy, what's the problem with starting a thread in the Comedy forum?

What surprises and disheartens me is that you mock the fact that I find a segregated forum demeaning and offensive.
Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:52 pm Well, Lomm will decide what he wants to do. I'm hopeful that he will take into account the current state of the world and its sensitivities.

Also, this site labels the section in question "The Films," not "Genres," so I think an LGBTQ+ section can be added without outraging you too much, Holden (I hope).
Holden, thanks for your thoughtful post. I like and respect you as well. And of course I don't presume to speak for all gay people. A reminder: I did not bring this issue up; posters whom I presume to be straight did (although I can't know their sexuality and may be mistaken). I'm sorry if you felt that I mocked your opinion, I did not intend to. I am not so "woke" as to feel that a member of a community that has been discriminated against has a right to be rude to people who may not have had the same experiences. Again, my apologies to you: a poster whose posts I always enjoy.

I'm on the board of a school in NYC. We had to go through DEAI training. It was fascinating. We learned (I hope) how to make accommodations for individuals in diverse groups and how to try to override our own entrenched views.

I don't know if you were up early enough this morning to view a vile post against me from someone whom I DO NOT respect, someone who couches a mean and crude disposition in a faux Uriah-Heepish countenance. I feel sorry for that person. I reported the post; it was quickly removed. I'm going to PM you a sentence from it.

Btw, if I correctly understood a PM from one of the mods this morning, we are going to get our LGBTQ+ section.

So, as the priest says to Wilfred Glendon at the opening of Werewolf of London: Pax Vobiscum.
Masha

Post by Masha »

kingrat wrote: November 20th, 2023, 9:22 pm The use of the "Friends/Enemies" section--really just an "Ignore" function, the term I would prefer--eliminates certain posters from your view. I use it, and highly recommend it!
It is common that when I speak of placing some users on: 'ignore' or its equivalent that there is inevitably a reply stating that is intolerant and/or undesirable because we should listen to all voices.

That is all well and good but I have noticed an oddity: a very high percentage of users whom I have placed on: 'ignore' are later banned from the site due to their disruptive behaviour. This has happened at several sites over the years. It has happened even on this site: I placed two on my list and one has: 'left the Internet forever' since then.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Swithin wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:22 pm And of course I don't presume to speak for all gay people.
There's a lot of people in this forum, each with their own unique personality & experiences.
I just find it unusual Swithin's interest in segregation rather than blending in.
I want to interact with people without the notation I'm: Female or a Senior or a diminutive Bohemian although all those are obvious when meeting me.
Swithin wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:22 pm I'm on the board of a school in NYC. We had to go through DEAI training. It was fascinating. We learned (I hope) how to make accommodations for individuals in diverse groups and how to try to override our own entrenched views.
Although I've never attended one, sounds like over-councilling to me. If you just treat people respectfully on a basic level, you'll do fine.

MrTiki deals with large numbers of criminals on a daily basis- thieves, liars, manipulators who have learned it's OK to victimize others for self preservation. I wondered HOW can he work with these unrepentitive people who have done such horrific things? He does not pity them, he does not fight against them or play their game. He simply treats them with basic respect as a fellow person.
I've observed this & try to adopt this attitude as best I can.
Swithin wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:22 pm Btw, if I correctly understood a PM from one of the mods this morning, we are going to get our LGBTQ+ section.
Let's hope you're not alone in the room!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

TikiSoo wrote: November 21st, 2023, 8:22 am
Swithin wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:22 pm And of course I don't presume to speak for all gay people.
There's a lot of people in this forum, each with their own unique personality & experiences.
I just find it unusual Swithin's interest in segregation rather than blending in.
I want to interact with people without the notation I'm: Female or a Senior or a diminutive Bohemian although all those are obvious when meeting me.
Swithin wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:22 pm I'm on the board of a school in NYC. We had to go through DEAI training. It was fascinating. We learned (I hope) how to make accommodations for individuals in diverse groups and how to try to override our own entrenched views.
Although I've never attended one, sounds like over-councilling to me. If you just treat people respectfully on a basic level, you'll do fine.

MrTiki deals with large numbers of criminals on a daily basis- thieves, liars, manipulators who have learned it's OK to victimize others for self preservation. I wondered HOW can he work with these unrepentitive people who have done such horrific things? He does not pity them, he does not fight against them or play their game. He simply treats them with basic respect as a fellow person.
Swithin wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:22 pm Btw, if I correctly understood a PM from one of the mods this morning, we are going to get our LGBTQ+ section.
One thing I learned in our DEAI training -- which has become fairly common practice now, at least in New York -- is how to try to distinguish between people who might be called "haters," who are up front and obvious with their racism, or homophobia, or whatever; and people who may not be not be so blatant, preferring to use more couched arguments which may have the semblance of logic, but whose goals amount to the same thing. I think almost everyone who has participated in this discussion here is a person of good will with sincerely held views. I do think there is one poster who is frankly homophobic.

I certainly respect you, Tiki, but I'm afraid I think that the "segregation" argument is the type of argument that people of less integrity than you and Holden would also use.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Swithin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 8:48 am

One thing I learned in our DEAI training -- which has become fairly common practice now, at least in New York -- is how to try to distinguish between people who might be called "haters," who are up front and obvious with their racism, or homophobia, or whatever; and people who may not be not be so blatant, preferring to use more couched arguments which may have the semblance of logic, but whose goals amount to the same thing. I think almost everyone who has participated in this discussion here is a person of good will with sincerely held views. I do think there is one poster who is frankly homophobic.

I certainly respect you, Tiki, but I'm afraid I think that the "segregation" argument is the type of argument that people of less integrity than you and Holden would also use.
The fact you said this "we are going to get our LGBTQ+ section.", implies you desire segregation. I find that sad.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 10:58 am

The fact you said this "we are going to get our LGBTQ+ section.", implies you desire segregation. I find that sad.
Actually, now I'm not so sure. It will be up to Lomm. (I'm sorry you feel sad.) And by "our," I meant for the benefit of all who want to use it.
jamesjazzguitar

Swithin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:00 am

Actually, now I'm not so sure. It will be up to Lomm. (I'm sorry you feel sad.) And by "our," I meant for the benefit of all who want to use it.
Did you happened to watch Bravo and Below Desk? Last night's episode was about a very similar topic. The crew (community) was talking, and one straight guy said how much he liked the gay guy and that they were all part of a community. The gay guy thanked him for understanding,,,, but said you could never be part of our community. When others tried to explain how the straight guy was just reaching out, the gay guy started to attack all of them, using points very similar to "the type of argument that people of less integrity than you and Holden would also use". An attack on the so-called good people, implying that maybe they really aren't so good. The show ends with lesbian Captain Sandy meeting with the gay guy. It wasn't a friendly meeting.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:11 am

Did you happened to watch Bravo and Below Desk? Last night's episode was about a very similar topic. The crew (community) was talking, and one straight guy said how much he liked the gay guy and that they were all part of a community. The gay guy thanked him for understanding,,,, but said you could never be part of our community. When others tried to explain how the straight guy was just reaching out, the gay guy started to attack all of them, using points very similar to "the type of argument that people of less integrity than you and Holden would also use". An attack on the so-called good people, implying that maybe they really aren't so good. The show ends with lesbian Captain Sandy meeting with the gay guy. It wasn't a friendly meeting.
No, I haven't seen that. I don't believe that one has to be part of a group to understand how members of another group might feel. That would be pretty tragic for the human race. But not everyone is capable of that sort of compassion, and I think minorities of any type do develop a sense of sussing out the genuine.

Btw, here's an interesting website:

https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/how-to-d ... e-website/
jamesjazzguitar

Swithin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:33 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:11 am

No, I haven't seen that. I don't believe that one has to be part of a group to understand how members of another group might feel. That would be pretty tragic for the human race. But not everyone is capable of that sort of compassion, and I think minorities of any type do develop a sense of sussing out the genuine.

Btw, here's an interesting website:

https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/how-to-d ... e-website/
If there is a separate sub-forum is everyone welcome? Of course I know you will say "yes", but is that genuine?
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Back on the old TCM forum, I was not welcome in the Noir Alley section do to lack of knowledge. To be accepted, someone needs to be genuine. I found that to be the case with blind people. I lived in a very small town years ago and was not welcome until people realized I actually lived there and was not a "flatlander" tourist.