Jason Isaacs plays Cary Grant in "Archie"

jameselliot

Re: Jason Isaacs plays Cary Grant in "Archie"

Post by jameselliot »

Most of the time these TV biopics about very distinctive personalities turn into parodies. I hope they don't do a hatchet job on Grant. He's star of the month on TCM in December.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks Nellie for bringing this to our attention!
From the looks of that picture, it appears the story may be lifted from Dyan Cannon's book DEAR CARY which I thought was a fabulous read-letting us see Cary through her eyes- since Dyan's a fascinating person in her own right.

The biggest problem I see is when portraying someone with distinct personality & unusual accent like Cary's, the actor becomes an imitator, a charactor impressionist & the story loses it's believability.

One of the most successful real life "charactor"portrayals I can remember was Phillip Seymour Hoffman playing Truman Capote. EVERYbody can imitate Truman Capote, but it's a much harder thing to convince the viewer to suspend disbelief enough to become involved in the story being told.

More recently, I also thought John C Reilly was wholly believable as Oliver Hardy, Steve Coogan did well as Stan Laurel in 2018's STAN & OLLIE movie. Although to be fair, their charactor "persona/affectations" level dropped when they were portraying the comedians real lives, not performing.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hey, now if they REALLY wanted to do this thing right, in addition to giving Issacs that cleft in his chin in order to more look like Cary, they would've ALSO put some kind of prosthetic lower lip on him as well. One of Cary's most prominent features was that large lower lip of his, ya know.

And just think, and in addition, Issacs also probably would've have been subjected to calls of this being "anti-semitic" and as was Bradley Cooper for a while by some idiots out there after he donned that prosthetic nose to play Leonard Bernstein recently.

(...and so a "win-win" all around here, I'd say!) LOL
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I pay too much for TV now.
BritBox, like everyone else costs more now.
I would love BritBox but need to trim the cost of everything else I watch.
Trimming TV prices means bye -bye TCM.
Don't tell my 89 year old Mom.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

FYI.......

Review:
"Archie review – Jason Isaacs is every bit as smooth as Cary Grant

This charmingly cheesy four-part bio-drama profiles five phases of the Hollywood star’s life courtesy of stunning performances – which plunge into the actor’s dark depths..."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... cary-grant
:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

ziggy6708a wrote: November 28th, 2023, 5:28 am "Archie review – Jason Isaacs is every bit as smooth as Cary Grant
I read that and as I surmised confirmed this was based on Dyan Cannon's book. Judging by the photos of both principles, looks like accurate portrayals:
Haha those slippers!

I liked Cannon's book because she told her story simply- she was a hip, young starlet dazzled by Grant-his legend & personality. She never berates him or criticizes him, just points out the extremes in their relationship, actually fleshing out a real man from the Hollywood persona.
I have the highest respect for her taking on such a project.

(don't know why the reviewer calls the biopic "cheesy")
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

kingrat wrote: November 29th, 2023, 12:13 am I recall talking with friends who assumed this was the couple in question.
I find this kind of intimate personal information sordid-none of our (the public's) business.
Dyan Cannon's perspective & impressions on knowing Cary, well....if she wants to discuss it, becomes interesting.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I finished up watching the miniseries this morning. Jason Isaacs did a fine job as Cary Grant, and the actress playing his mother was excellent as well. The show was too rushed really, though, trying to cram way too much into less than four hours. Still, I'll take anything Cary Grant related that I can get. :)
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

He looks nothing like Grant in this Britbox ad. This is how I want to remember him.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jameselliot wrote: December 5th, 2023, 10:57 pm He looks nothing like Grant in this Britbox ad. This is how I want to remember him.
Well, like I said EARLIER in this thing here, he MIGHT have if only they would've put a prosthetic larger lower lip on the guy!!!

AND of which, btw, I STILL can't believe I got NO ONE to agree with me on this here! (un-huh, and kind'a like how no one but ME ever seems to hear Ben Mankiewicz's nasally voice EITHER!!!) LOL

I mean, LOOK HERE and how the boys in Termite Terrace in 1941 caricaturized Cary in this cartoon short. I mean, there was/IS a reason why they drew him with that big ol' lower LIP here, ya know!!!...

LOL
Last edited by Dargo on December 6th, 2023, 12:56 am, edited 4 times in total.