For PEEBS: "The WANTERS"

NoShear

For PEEBS: "The WANTERS"

Post by NoShear »

"The WANTERS" is said to have been released 100 years ago on this day:

Interestingly, Peebs, its star - Marie Prevost - will later die destitute and posthumously prompt the eventual founding of the Motion Picture and Television Country House & Hospital where another actress who appeared in the 1923 movie will be a beneficiary of near the end of her life, Norma Shearer!!
dianedebuda

Re: For PEEBS: "The WANTERS"

Post by dianedebuda »

I'm nearly consumed with curiosity that I can no longer contain - who is Peebs? :lol:
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

dianedebuda wrote: November 26th, 2023, 11:53 am I'm nearly consumed with curiosity that I can no longer contain - who is Peebs? :lol:
Peebs, a film friend, was a prominent poster on the old TCM Message Boards.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Vaguely remember some posts there, but is Peebs here under another name, on TB's site (where you have a similar thread) or are these posts to the great unknown?
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I find it just a bit odd to post directly to an individual.
Oh well, to each their own.
You took the words right out of my mouth Diane.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

dianedebuda wrote: November 26th, 2023, 12:19 pm Vaguely remember some posts there, but is Peebs here under another name, on TB's site (where you have a similar thread) or are these posts to the great unknown?
As stated, dianedebuda: "For PEEBS..."
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Well now, that clears things up. <grin>
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hey, NoShear; Don't worry, I'm aware of what is going on and will not take the bait this time! Peeps is very knowledgeable with regards to pre-codes, and I have always enjoyed discussions with them.

Did I ever tell you that I knew the great-niece of Norma? This gal was from Scotland and lived in So Cal. Sadly she didn't know anything about Norma since she was raised in Scotland by family that had no direct contact with Norma once she came to the USA.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 26th, 2023, 2:52 pm Hey, NoShear; Don't worry, I'm aware of what is going on and will not take the bait this time! Peeps is very knowledgeable with regards to pre-codes, and I have always enjoyed discussions with them.

Did I ever tell you that I knew the great-niece of Norma? This gal was from Scotland and lived in So Cal. Sadly she didn't know anything about Norma since she was raised in Scotland by family that had no direct contact with Norma once she came to the USA.
I know what Peeps are and there is no bait to take from me. Move on please.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

NoShear wrote: November 26th, 2023, 12:48 pm As stated, dianedebuda: "For PEEBS..."
I'm definitely not in the baiting business, but like I said, just curious. Maybe peebs is an acronym for a group? Usually the topics you posted for his/her/its/their reading sounded interesting and always wished there was a reply. Not trying to stir up trouble.
jamesjazzguitar

dianedebuda wrote: November 26th, 2023, 3:37 pm
NoShear wrote: November 26th, 2023, 12:48 pm As stated, dianedebuda: "For PEEBS..."
I'm definitely not in the baiting business, but like I said, just curious. Maybe peebs is an acronym for a group? Usually the topics you posted for his/her/its/their reading sounded interesting and always wished there was a reply. Not trying to stir up trouble.
Peebs was the nickname for a user that was very knowledgeable about pre-code and silent films. Thus, the connection with Norma Sheer since she is one of a handful of actors that made the transition from silent films to talkies that was very successful.

Sorry if my post was confusing.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm more puzzled than ever. Oh well.
(Because of how this forum operates, all new posts get listed at the top of the homepage. I did not realize right away this was Silents and PreCodes).
Doesn't make me any less confused.
EDIT: Would be nice if the Recent Topics could either be removed or placed at the bottom of the homepage.
jamesjazzguitar

On June 12, 1983, Shearer died of bronchial pneumonia at the Motion Picture Country Home in Woodland Hills, California, where she had been living since 1980.

The Home and associated charity organization still exist in Woodland Hills.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I asked Lomm about changing the Recent Topics and he says it needs to be the way it is.
Needs to stay at the top of the page.
I can say, using this forum with a mobile device can be very difficult.
My tablet is my go to device and it is a pain in the butt with a touch screen and no mouse.
I'm sure a few people wouldn't miss me if I went away. It is that frustrating.
jamesjazzguitar

Note that many fine actors lived out their final days at this place:

Bud Abbott, Mary Astor, Virgina Bruce, Mae Clarke, Wendell Corey, Yvonne De Carlo (and that is just a few from A to D!).