Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Dargo

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: December 8th, 2023, 9:53 am
Yes, Bel Geddes was in that Lambs episode. The Unlocked Window was the episode that channeled Spiral Staircase. Had a nice twist at the end. I thought that was one of the best of the hour episodes. (and one of the last).
Yep, you're right Hibi. 'The Unlocked Window' episode was indeed first broadcast about half-way through the hour-long series' final season of 1965.

The very final series episode being one that has John Gavin cast against type as a homicidal cop, titled "Off Season".
Hibi wrote: December 8th, 2023, 9:53 am Joseph Cotten was in several of the half hr ones. Not sure if he was in an hour one.
And, according to Cotten's IMDb filmography, he starred in 3 of the half-hour episodes, but not in any of the hour-long ones.

(...his most memorable one for me being the one in which he's paralyzed in a car crash and everyone thinks he's dead, titled 'Breakdown'...first telecast in 1955)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Dargo wrote: December 8th, 2023, 1:51 pm ...(...his most memorable one for me being the one in which he's paralyzed in a car crash and everyone thinks he's dead, titled 'Breakdown'...first telecast in 1955)
Indeed. That episode was one of the few I saw in reruns decades ago and it scared me (probably about 1970). That episode put me off the show until the past couple of years.

BETTE DAVIS was in a half hour episode...
EVERETT SLOANE was in at least one half hour.
STEVE McQUEEN appeared with PETE LORRE...
JESSICA TANDY and TOM CONWAY and BILLY BARTY are in an episode with the dummy's glass eye...
INGER STEVENS appears in an hour long episode that has a controversial and disturbing story with pending gang rape...!
(With PETER BROWN and RICHARD JAECKEL...
Andree

Post by Andree »

Yes, Bel Geddes was in that Lambs episode. The Unlocked Window was the episode that channeled Spiral Staircase. Had a nice twist at the end. I thought that was one of the best of the hour episodes. (and one of the last). Joseph Cotten was in several of the half hr ones. Not sure if he was in an hour one.
I thought she was. It's been a while since I've seen them and my memory is not always 100% accurate.
That was one of the spookiest of them all, half or one hour. I believe Dana Wynter played the unfortunate
nurse. The one I best remember with Joseph Cotten was when his character was in an awful car accident
and his neck was trapped underneath the steering wheel and he couldn't talk, but he can hear the people
trying to get him out, many of whom think he is already dead. One of my favorites was the one about
the couple who are picked up by the cop who mistreats them and at the end we find out they are
investigators and have recorded all his nastiness. Going to be in hot water for sure.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Not unintentionally, IMO. Very intentionally funny and with success. "Triggers in Leash" was the third episode of the series and is a stupendous little masterpiece IMO.
[/quote]

It the funniest episode that I've watched so far. And I think you are right, I can see Hitchcock encouraging the humor in their feud. I never expected the twist at the end.
When in doubt, have another one.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

I think John Williams may have appeared in the most episodes of any actor on the show. He was in a lot of the half hour episodes.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up. I am looking forward to more episodes with John Williams. I think he is always a welcome presence in any movie.
Last edited by Arsan444 on December 8th, 2023, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

I have seen Lamb to the Slaughter shown as an episode form Tales of the Unexpected, a series I used to watch a long time ago.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Arsan444 wrote: December 8th, 2023, 7:54 pm
It the funniest episode that I've watched so far. And I think you are right, I can see Hitchcock encouraging the humor in their feud. I never expected the twist at the end.
Actually Arsan, like the vast majority of the episodes on Hitchcock's program, this episode was not directed by him. The director of this episode was Don Medford, who was solely a director of many television programs that stretched from the early-'50s thru to the late-'80s.

(...and as I recall, the man who by far directed the most Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes was Robert Stevenson, and who directed both motion pictures and for television)
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

There was one called The Gloating Place, from 1961, which touches on the addictiveness of fame and being the center of attention.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Here's another of my favorite AHP episodes:

"One More Mile to Go" (first telecast 4/7/1957), starring David Wayne as the man with the corpse of his wife that he had earlier murdered laying in the trunk of car, and with Steve Brodie as the persistent motorcop who just won't stop attempting to assist him in fixing his malfunctioning tail light.

ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 8th, 2023, 3:44 pm
Dargo wrote: December 8th, 2023, 1:51 pm ...(...his most memorable one for me being the one in which he's paralyzed in a car crash and everyone thinks he's dead, titled 'Breakdown'...first telecast in 1955)
Indeed. That episode was one of the few I saw in reruns decades ago and it scared me (probably about 1970). That episode put me off the show until the past couple of years.

INGER STEVENS[/b] appears in an hour long episode that has a controversial and disturbing story with pending gang rape...!
(With PETER BROWN and RICHARD JAECKEL...

Forecast: Low Clouds and Coastal Fog.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: December 8th, 2023, 1:51 pm
Yes, Bel Geddes was in that Lambs episode. The Unlocked Window was the episode that channeled Spiral Staircase. Had a nice twist at the end. I thought that was one of the best of the hour episodes. (and one of the last).
Yep, you're right Hibi. 'The Unlocked Window' episode was indeed first broadcast about half-way through the hour-long series' final season of 1965.

The very final series episode being one that has John Gavin cast against type as a homicidal cop, titled "Off Season".
Hibi wrote: December 8th, 2023, 9:53 am Joseph Cotten was in several of the half hr ones. Not sure if he was in an hour one.
And, according to Cotten's IMDb filmography, he starred in 3 of the half-hour episodes, but not in any of the hour-long ones.

(...his most memorable one for me being the one in which he's paralyzed in a car crash and everyone thinks he's dead, titled 'Breakdown'...first telecast in 1955)

Yes, all 3 of the episodes he was in were good ones!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: December 8th, 2023, 4:47 pm
Yes, Bel Geddes was in that Lambs episode. The Unlocked Window was the episode that channeled Spiral Staircase. Had a nice twist at the end. I thought that was one of the best of the hour episodes. (and one of the last). Joseph Cotten was in several of the half hr ones. Not sure if he was in an hour one.
I thought she was. It's been a while since I've seen them and my memory is not always 100% accurate.
That was one of the spookiest of them all, half or one hour. I believe Dana Wynter played the unfortunate
nurse. The one I best remember with Joseph Cotten was when his character was in an awful car accident
and his neck was trapped underneath the steering wheel and he couldn't talk, but he can hear the people
trying to get him out, many of whom think he is already dead. One of my favorites was the one about
the couple who are picked up by the cop who mistreats them and at the end we find out they are
investigators and have recorded all his nastiness. Going to be in hot water for sure.

Didn't Walter Matthau play the cop? He was in several episodes.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Another good one had Constance Ford home alone with a serial killer on the loose. There were several good ones with convicts on the loose. Another good one involved a gossip on a party line with an escapee with a grudge and one recently on with Beatrice Straight (and Pat Hitchcock again) with a loony bin escapee.......
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 9:51 am
Andree wrote: December 8th, 2023, 4:47 pm

Didn't Walter Matthau play the cop? He was in several episodes.
Yes, Matthau played the corrupt southern cop in 'The Crooked Road' (first telecast: 10/26/1958) and he was in a total of four AHP episodes.

And now here's another of my favorites:

Robert Horton (who was in a total of 7 AHP episodes) relays in flashback to a fellow train commuter his reasons for not being interested in joining into a friendly little game of poker that is being held in the club car, in a sort of Gamblers Anonymous object lesson episode titled 'Crack of Doom' (first telecast: 11/25/1956)...