Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Arsan444

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Post by Arsan444 »

I am taking a break from coppers, crumpets, and quid, so I started watching a few episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Some episodes are better than others, of course, but I am enjoying the series very much. Coincidentally, two of my favorite episodes so far, The Long Shot and Back From Christmas, feature John Williams. Into Thin Air is a remake of So Long at the Fair, and as I was watching Revenge I realized I had already watched the color version made in the 1980s, I think. Triggers in Leash is very funny, perhaps unintentionally; when Gene Barry and Darren McGavin confront each other their posturing is so over the top is almost parody.
When in doubt, have another one.
Allhallowsday

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Post by Allhallowsday »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK Presents is a wonderful show, with many terrific guest stars like CLAUDE RAINS (who stars in a favorite episode, "And So Died Riabouchinska") a show which I avoided for decades. Subjects are sometimes challenging, offensive, or funny. Even a little scary.

NickandNora34

Post by NickandNora34 »

Arsan444 wrote: December 6th, 2023, 10:26 pm I am taking a break from coppers, crumpets, and quid, so I started watching a few episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Some episodes are better than others, of course, but I am enjoying the series very much. Coincidentally, two of my favorite episodes so far, The Long Shot and Back From Christmas, feature John Williams. Into Thin Air is a remake of So Long at the Fair, and as I was watching Revenge I realized I had already watched the color version made in the 1980s, I think. Triggers in Leash is very funny, perhaps unintentionally; when Gene Barry and Darren McGavin confront each other their posturing is so over the top is almost parody.
I've been meaning to watch some of this! May I ask where/what format you're watching this on? Unsure if it's available anywhere online, or if I'll have to buy the series...
Obviously, you're not a golfer.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

NickandNora34 wrote: December 6th, 2023, 11:06 pm
I've been meaning to watch some of this! May I ask where/what format you're watching this on? Unsure if it's available anywhere online, or if I'll have to buy the series...
MeTV shows two episodes of it back-to-back every weeknight starting at midnight.

FWIW here, about twenty years ago I was competely hooked on watching reruns of this program each night that (I believe at the time) TVLand showed, and one of my favorites starred Keenan Wynn as a somewhat boorish inverterate losing gambler who is traveling to Europe with his long-suffering wife on an ocean liner, titled "Dip in the Pool".

(...its ironic ending was just sublime)
Andree

Post by Andree »

I've probably seen them all over the years, on TV and the net. There are some mediocre episodes, but most of
them are entertaining. And many of them hinge on a twist ending. I still like the old standby Lamb to the
Slaughter
. I would have to look up synopses to most of them as I haven't seen them recently. Good evening.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Me too. I think I've probably seen all of them, thanks to MeTV. I remember the hour show as I was too young when the half hr show was on. It's amazing what they got away with back then. That episode that was on just a few wks ago where at Robert Morley's exclusive club they served "human" food. LOL! Finally got to see the last half hr show w/Diana Dors that was never shown at the time due to the sponsors objections........Lots of stars at the time appeared on the show. Bette Davis was in one; Rains; many others. Barbara Bel Geddes was in a lot of them. Seemed like once per season. Pat Hitchcock turns up a lot too......Not every one was great, but a lot of them still stand the test of time...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: December 6th, 2023, 11:23 pm
NickandNora34 wrote: December 6th, 2023, 11:06 pm
MeTV shows two episodes of it back-to-back every weeknight starting at midnight.

FWIW here, about twenty years ago I was competely hooked on watching reruns of this program each night that (I believe at the time) TVLand showed, and one of my favorites starred Keenan Wynn as a somewhat boorish inverterate losing gambler who is traveling to Europe with his long-suffering wife on an ocean liner, titled "Dip in the Pool".

(...its ironic ending was just sublime)
Yes, it alternates with the hour long show in that time slot. Once they've run all the half hrs. they run the hour show, then back to the half hr. again. Has been going on for years now. They still run the hour show on Sundays at 1am when the half hr runs during the week. I record some of the good ones to watch later in the week from the Sunday show.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2023, 4:53 pm Me too. I think I've probably seen all of them, thanks to MeTV. I remember the hour show as I was too young when the half hr show was on. It's amazing what they got away with back then. That episode that was on just a few wks ago where at Robert Morley's exclusive club they served "human" food. LOL! Finally got to see the last half hr show w/Diana Dors that was never shown at the time due to the sponsors objections........Lots of stars at the time appeared on the show. Bette Davis was in one; Rains; many others. Barbara Bel Geddes was in a lot of them. Seemed like once per season. Pat Hitchcock turns up a lot too......Not every one was great, but a lot of them still stand the test of time...
IIRC, Barbara Bel Geddes played the wife in Lamb to the Slaughter. I think USA ran the hour long
episodes many years ago. I watched them on YT a few years ago again and saw all of them except for
two or three. I remember the Robert Morley episode a bit. There was a good hour long episode that
was very similar to The Spiral Staircase. Pretty spooky. I just remembered that Joseph Cotten was
in one.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

[/quote]

i have been watching the show on Internet Archive. The channel has a lot of episodes, possibly the whole series, I don't know, and the quality of the videos is OK.
When in doubt, have another one.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I think I used to watch them on IA too, but that was several years ago. I took a quick look at YT and they
only have a few episodes and the visual quality varies quite a bit. Maybe best to stick with IA or else buy
DVDs if you want.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Arsan444 wrote: December 6th, 2023, 10:26 pm I am taking a break from coppers, crumpets, and quid, so I started watching a few episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Some episodes are better than others, of course, but I am enjoying the series very much. Coincidentally, two of my favorite episodes so far, The Long Shot and Back From Christmas, feature John Williams. Into Thin Air is a remake of So Long at the Fair, and as I was watching Revenge I realized I had already watched the color version made in the 1980s, I think. Triggers in Leash is very funny, perhaps unintentionally; when Gene Barry and Darren McGavin confront each other their posturing is so over the top is almost parody.
Not unintentionally, IMO. Very intentionally funny and with success. "Triggers in Leash" was the third episode of the series and is a stupendous little masterpiece IMO.
Mona
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: December 7th, 2023, 5:20 pm
Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2023, 4:53 pm Me too. I think I've probably seen all of them, thanks to MeTV. I remember the hour show as I was too young when the half hr show was on. It's amazing what they got away with back then. That episode that was on just a few wks ago where at Robert Morley's exclusive club they served "human" food. LOL! Finally got to see the last half hr show w/Diana Dors that was never shown at the time due to the sponsors objections........Lots of stars at the time appeared on the show. Bette Davis was in one; Rains; many others. Barbara Bel Geddes was in a lot of them. Seemed like once per season. Pat Hitchcock turns up a lot too......Not every one was great, but a lot of them still stand the test of time...
IIRC, Barbara Bel Geddes played the wife in Lamb to the Slaughter. I think USA ran the hour long
episodes many years ago. I watched them on YT a few years ago again and saw all of them except for
two or three. I remember the Robert Morley episode a bit. There was a good hour long episode that
was very similar to The Spiral Staircase. Pretty spooky. I just remembered that Joseph Cotten was
in one.
Yes, Bel Geddes was in that Lambs episode. The Unlocked Window was the episode that channeled Spiral Staircase. Had a nice twist at the end. I thought that was one of the best of the hour episodes. (and one of the last). Joseph Cotten was in several of the half hr ones. Not sure if he was in an hour one.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I think John Williams may have appeared in the most episodes of any actor on the show. He was in a lot of the half hour episodes.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: December 8th, 2023, 9:53 am
...The Unlocked Window was the episode that channeled Spiral Staircase. Had a nice twist at the end. I thought that was one of the best of the hour episodes. (and one of the last).
OH yeah! I remember watching that one, first-run, when I was 12 y/o. And, remember it scarin' the livin' crap outta me at the time.

(...hardly slept a wink that night as I recall)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: December 8th, 2023, 12:16 pm
Hibi wrote: December 8th, 2023, 9:53 am
...The Unlocked Window was the episode that channeled Spiral Staircase. Had a nice twist at the end. I thought that was one of the best of the hour episodes. (and one of the last).
OH yeah! I remember watching that one, first-run, when I was 12 y/o. And, remember it scarin' the livin' crap outta me at the time.

(...hardly slept a wink that night as I recall)
YEP! ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!