February 2024 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Discussion of programming on TCM.
speedracer5

Re: February 2024 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Post by speedracer5 »

Hibi wrote: January 30th, 2024, 9:45 am
Fedya wrote: January 29th, 2024, 7:19 pm
Hibi wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:35 pm

WTH???????? Noir Alley is preempted and this boring series is allowed to continue during Oscar month?????????????????
31 Days of Oscar begins Feb. 9, so that the last day is the day the statuettes are handed out for real. The last episode of The Power of Film is the night before.

Noir Alley is being preempted for another Demographic Checkbox Weekend.

Strange, but thanks for explaining.
If they have to include some sort of annual tribute to the Oscars, I wish they'd limit it to the daytime, and have some other sort of programming in the evening. I like a lot of the films shown, but there's never really anything new, because there are only so many Oscar-nominated and Oscar-winning films!
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I hate 24 hrs of anything, let alone 31 days of it!
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: January 30th, 2024, 1:48 pm I hate 24 hrs of anything, let alone 31 days of it!
Me too Hibi. AMC is showing Groundhog Day today (five times in a row).
I don't understand why 31 Days is in both February and March.
There are 31 in March and the awards are on March 10th.
In California, yet another event where ABC 7 News will not be available as the awards begin at 4 PM.
Kind of like Noir Alley going MIA during the awards. February and March both?
I would not miss 31 Days of Oscar or Summer Under the Stars if they were gone.
I'm viewing TCM less and less, even though it is still an extra $10/month with Comcast.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:30 pm
Hibi wrote: January 30th, 2024, 1:48 pm I hate 24 hrs of anything, let alone 31 days of it!
In California, yet another event where ABC 7 News will not be available as the awards begin at 4 PM.
I'm viewing TCM less and less, even though it is still an extra $10/month with Comcast.
31 Days of Oscar was originally in March until the Oscars moved up the ceremony. Then they moved it to Feb but it bled into March because they HAD to have 31 Days of it! I'm totally confused this year as it was pushed back to allow a wknd of Black History films? Unsure when it even starts or ends and I don't care!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: February 5th, 2024, 10:19 am
31 Days of Oscar was originally in March until the Oscars moved up the ceremony. Then they moved it to Feb but it bled into March because they HAD to have 31 Days of it! I'm totally confused this year as it was pushed back to allow a wknd of Black History films? Unsure when it even starts or ends and I don't care!
31 Days starts on February 9th and ends on March 10th.
I was not crazy about the Black History Marathon.
Go ahead laugh, I am willing to watch marathons on Great American Family for Murder, She wrote (Saturday) and Columbo (Sunday). I hate their ads. Same thing over and over.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

In 2023 the Oscar telecast was on March 12 and the 31 Days of Oscar programming began on March 1, which meant there were 19 ‘extra’ days of Oscar movies after the award ceremony.

I can’t prove this, but I suspect that TCM gets “consideration” from Disney/ABC for promoting the Oscar telecast at the same time they are promoting the 31 Days of Oscar theme on TCM. In the past, the TCM promos have identified when the Oscar show date and time is on ABC. So during the 31 Days of Oscar period after the Oscar ceremony last year, the ABC promotion was taken away.

Following this logic, it would be natural for TCM to want the 31 Days of Oscar period to end around the date of the Oscar telecast, so they can promote the ABC program for almost the entire 31 days and maximize their quid pro quo. This year that led to 31 Days of Oscar starting on Feb. 9th.

Once TCM decides to start 31 Days of Oscar in the middle of the month, they have to decide how to fill the period prior to the start of 31 Days. With only 8 days of programming, it doesn’t make sense to do a Star of the Month and there is only one weekend for Noir Alley, Silent Sundays, and TCM Imports. This may have led them to pick out unique programming for the period, which then included a whole weekend devoted to Black History Month.

After 31 Days this year, TCM has 21 days left in March for their usual programming. They are still doing a Star of the Month and are packing it into 5 straight days starting on March 25th. They also packed a TCM Spotlight theme into 5 straight days starting on March 11. Noir Alley and the rest also return on the weekends starting on March 16, and all is well.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

jimimac71 wrote: February 5th, 2024, 2:04 pm
Hibi wrote: February 5th, 2024, 10:19 am

31 Days starts on February 9th and ends on March 10th.
I was not crazy about the Black History Marathon.
Go ahead laugh, I am willing to watch marathons on Great American Family for Murder, She wrote (Saturday) and Columbo (Sunday). I hate their ads. Same thing over and over.
Heh, I was watching the Murder She Wrote marathon on Saturday as well (and the ads get old quickly). I feel as though TCM felt the need to do a Black History month tribute, but I think it could have been handled a bit more cohesively. It mixed together a few classic era titles, more modern titles, TV movies, and documentaries in no real organized mode. If it had been chronological, or if the documentaries had been placed together instead of separately, it would have made some more sense. I do know though that I do plan to see Get on the Bus on demand as that is one Spike lee film I have not seen.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: February 5th, 2024, 4:05 pm In 2023 the Oscar telecast was on March 12 and the 31 Days of Oscar programming began on March 1, which meant there were 19 ‘extra’ days of Oscar movies after the award ceremony.

I can’t prove this, but I suspect that TCM gets “consideration” from Disney/ABC for promoting the Oscar telecast at the same time they are promoting the 31 Days of Oscar theme on TCM. In the past, the TCM promos have identified when the Oscar show date and time is on ABC. So during the 31 Days of Oscar period after the Oscar ceremony last year, the ABC promotion was taken away.

Following this logic, it would be natural for TCM to want the 31 Days of Oscar period to end around the date of the Oscar telecast, so they can promote the ABC program for almost the entire 31 days and maximize their quid pro quo. This year that led to 31 Days of Oscar starting on Feb. 9th.

Once TCM decides to start 31 Days of Oscar in the middle of the month, they have to decide how to fill the period prior to the start of 31 Days. With only 8 days of programming, it doesn’t make sense to do a Star of the Month and there is only one weekend for Noir Alley, Silent Sundays, and TCM Imports. This may have led them to pick out unique programming for the period, which then included a whole weekend devoted to Black History Month.

After 31 Days this year, TCM has 21 days left in March for their usual programming. They are still doing a Star of the Month and are packing it into 5 straight days starting on March 25th. They also packed a TCM Spotlight theme into 5 straight days starting on March 11. Noir Alley and the rest also return on the weekends starting on March 16, and all is well.
I HATE when they cram a SOTM into one week!!! This 31 Days of Oscar programming is getting beyond ridiculous anymore. Starting in mid month now???
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hallmark edits MSW so badly the plots are hardly coherent anymore. Commercials every 10 minutes (if that) and cutting to a commercial even before a scene is over. I bet they cut a good 10 mins out from the network broadcasts. Just awful.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: February 5th, 2024, 5:58 pm Hallmark edits MSW so badly the plots are hardly coherent anymore. Commercials every 10 minutes (if that) and cutting to a commercial even before a scene is over. I bet they cut a good 10 mins out from the network broadcasts. Just awful.
Great American Family is no better. They also stretch old fashioned 4:3 TV shows to fit 16:9 widescreen.
I'm not willing to pay Peacock (yet) just for Murder, She Wrote and Columbo.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: February 5th, 2024, 7:36 pm
Hibi wrote: February 5th, 2024, 5:58 pm Hallmark edits MSW so badly the plots are hardly coherent anymore. Commercials every 10 minutes (if that) and cutting to a commercial even before a scene is over. I bet they cut a good 10 mins out from the network broadcasts. Just awful.
Great American Family is no better. They also stretch old fashioned 4:3 TV shows to fit 16:9 widescreen.
Yes, they are just as bad!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: February 8th, 2024, 12:04 pm
jimimac71 wrote: February 5th, 2024, 7:36 pm Great American Family is no better. They also stretch old fashioned 4:3 TV shows to fit 16:9 widescreen.
Have you tried the local library? Depending on your city/county, many libraries have a good selection of classic TV shows on DVD/blu but YMMV of course.

Also fiddling around with your TV's AR controls can probably unstretch those distorted shows.
GAF basically zooms the image so it fills the widescreen format.
I can’t undo that. Sometimes the opening credits run off the bottom of the screen.
On Hallmark M&M, there are black bars on each side. On the right are the letters HD.
I don’t drive, so going to the library is a chore. At the moment, so is walking.
At present, Jessica Fletcher is everywhere.
Start TV, Great American Family and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.
I believe MSW is coming to Pluto TV and is currently on The Roku Channel.
Of course, it’s on Peacock.
We don’t watch anything current in our home except the news.
If only TCM’s offerings were more my speed lately.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

jimimac71 wrote: February 5th, 2024, 7:36 pm
It's not just channels messing up the size of episodes (4:3 into 16:9). LA Law popped up on Amazon Prime and Hulu late last year, and on Hulu, all the episodes were cropped, and on Amazon, some of them were (like 6 or 7 a season). It was very distracting.