Actresses

C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Actresses

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

Anybody think of any actresses who had a better career pre code than after?
Swithin

Re: Actresses

Post by Swithin »

Ruth Chatterton
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Sylvia Sidney

Fay Wray

Joan Blondell
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Una Merkel
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Jean Harlow's most interesting films came before the code, but she did remain a big star until her untimely death.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Marie Dressler?

/ducking
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Nancy Carroll, someone mentioned her film Hot Saturday (1932) on another thread, it is one of my favorite pre codes.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Interesting topic. I like it. Two actresses I enjoyed come to mind:
Constance Bennett
Madge Evans
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Out of all the actresses mentioned here, I view Dorothy Mackaill as the best choice. This is because she was only in one film after the Code was strictly enforced in July 1934, a British film, no less, Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1937). Mackaill's pre-code films, especially those for Warner Bros\Frist National are some of the finish examples of what makes a pre-code a pre-code. E.g. Safe in Hell (1931).

Hey, a lot of those mentioned did their best work during the pre-code era, but they also were in many films after July 1934, with some going on into the 40s and 50s. I know my buddy Dargo mentioned Joan Blondell, and while her pre-code work with Cagney, and the pre-code WB musicals, are legendary, one could say her best performances were in the 40s: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) and Nightmare Alley (1947).
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 20th, 2024, 4:26 pm Out of all the actresses mentioned here, I view Dorothy Mackaill as the best choice. This is because she was only in one film after the Code was strictly enforced in July 1934, a British film, no less, Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1937). Mackaill's pre-code films, especially those for Warner Bros\Frist National are some of the finish examples of what makes a pre-code a pre-code. E.g. Safe in Hell (1931).

Hey, a lot of those mentioned did their best work during the pre-code era, but they also were in many films after July 1934, with some going on into the 40s and 50s. I know my buddy Dargo mentioned Joan Blondell, and while her pre-code work with Cagney, and the pre-code WB musicals, are legendary, one could say her best performances were in the 40s: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) and Nightmare Alley (1947).
Good point, James.

(...yep, I have to admit that I did have some reservations when I earlier mentioned Blondell's name in CJ's thread here)