the 2023 Feinberg Awards

Feinberg

the 2023 Feinberg Awards

Post by Feinberg »

It is almost time for the coveted 2023 Feinberg Awards. :smiley_cheer:
I've currently seen 121 films from 2023 including all of the major BAFTA and Oscar nominees and Barbie and Napoleon.

But let me start with mention of a couple of films that I thought were worth seeing that were released in 2022 but were competing in this year's awards:

Bobi Wine: The People's President
Paris Memories

And I quite liked the performances in these 2022 films:

One Fine Morning (Lea Seydoux and Pascal Gregory)
Daliland (Ben Kingsley and Barbara Sukova)

People are most welcome to post their own choices in this thread if they like. I plan on listing choices in foreign film, best picture and all the acting categories.
LawrenceA

Re: the 2023 Feinberg Awards

Post by LawrenceA »

Top Ten Favorites of 2023 (189 films seen)

1. Oppenheimer
2. Killers of the Flower Moon
3. Asteroid City
4. The Holdovers
5. The Killer
6. Beau Is Afraid
7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
8. John Wick: Chapter 4
9. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
10. The Creator

Honorable Mentions: May December, Sharper, Boston Strangler, 65, When Evil Lurks, Theater Camp, To Catch a Killer, Ballerina, Reptile, Extraction 2, Joy Ride, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, The Burial, Mission:Impossible - Dead Reckoning, Saltburn, The Covenant, Barbie, and Birth/Rebirth.

Favorite Documentaries
1. 20 Days in Mariupol
2. Little Richard: I Am Everything
3. Arnold
4. Albert Brooks: Defending Your Life
5. Rock Hudson: All That Heaven Allowed
6. Sly
7. Pamela: A Love Story
8. Love to Love You, Donna Summer
9. Stan Lee
10. The Pigeon Tunnel

Also a shout-out to three limited series that I really enjoyed: The Fall of the House of Usher, A Murder at the End of the World, and Bodies.

*1/30 - Updated documentary list
Last edited by LawrenceA on January 30th, 2024, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watching until the end.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I shouldn't even be commenting. I've only seen 4 2023 films as I spent the year in a flurry of over 1500 titles, almost all from the 20th century (most of which I didn't log on Letterboxd).... I disliked Barbie, 80 for Brady and My Big Fat Greek Wedding were slight whimsy (although likable), I loved Are You There, God It's me, Margaret though. It was one of the most gentle and charming films from recent years I have seen in a while....

I did see the documentary on HBO about Mary Tyler Moore . That was excellent.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

My top Foreign Films films of 2023 of the 33 that I have seen are ….

1. Io Capitano (2023) Matteo Garrone, Italy
2. The Zone of Interest (2023) Jonathan Glazer, UK
3. 20 Days In Mariupol (2023) Mstyslav Chernov, Ukraine [portions in English]
4. Anatomy of a Fall (2023) Justine Triet, France
5. The Teachers’ Lounge (2023) Ilker Catak, Germany
6. The Promised Land (2023) Nikolaj Arcel, Denmark
7. The Taste of Things (2023) Anh Hung Tran, France
8. Society of the Snow (2023) J.A. Bayona, Spain
9. The Three Musketeers: D’Artagnan (2023) Martin Bourboulon
10. The Peasants (2023) DK Welchman, Hugh Welchman, Poland

Green Border (2023) Agnieszka Holland, Poland
The Delinquents (2023) Rodrigo Moreno, Argentina
El Conde (2023) Pablo Larrain, Chile
Lost In the Night (2023) Amat Escalante, Mexico
Beyond Utopia (2023) Madeleine Gavin, USA [predominately Korean)
The Boy and the Heron (2023) Hayao Miyazaki, Japan
Passages (2023) Ira Sachs, France [portions in English]
Smoke Sauna Sisterhood (2023) Anna Hints, Estonia
The Settlers (2023) Felipe Galvez Haberie, Chile
Cassandro (2023) Roger Ross Williams, Mexico [portions in English]
The Goldfinger (2023) Felix Chong, Hong Kong
The Eternal Memory (2023) Maite Alberdi, Chile

and I’ve also seen …

Monster (2023) Kore-eda Hirokazu, Japan
Fallen Leaves (2023) Aki Kaurismaki, Finland
Y Swn (2023) Lee Haven Jones, Wales
Do Not Expect Too Much From the End of the World (2023) Radu Jude, Romania
Four Daughters (2023) Kaouthier Ben Hania, Tunisia
Perfect Days (2023) Japan, Wim Wenders
Totem (2023) Lila Aviles, Mexico
Evil Does Not Exist (2023) Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Japan
Gurkha Warrior (2023) Milan Chams, India
Dancing With the Shadows (2023) Pluton Vasi, Albania
Mami Wata (2023) C.J. Fiery Obasi, Nigeria
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I only saw 3 movies made this year: "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3," "Barbie," and "The Boy and the Heron."

I loved "Barbie," and I especially loved "The Boy and the Heron."

I might try to watch "The Holdovers" because I like Paul Giamatti. He was great in "Sideways."
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I only saw 3 movies released in 2023, but I liked them all:

BARBIE
WONKA
THE LITTLE MERMAID

I loved BARBIE!

I also saw PETER PAN & WENDY (and liked it), but I don't know if it had a theatrical release or was released only on Disney+.

I want to see KILERS OF THE FLOWER MOON, but I know it will be a difficult watch because of the subject manner.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 26th, 2024, 2:53 pm I only saw 3 movies released in 2023, but I liked them all:

BARBIE
WONKA
THE LITTLE MERMAID

I loved BARBIE!

I also saw PETER PAN & WENDY (and liked it), but I don't know if it had a theatrical release or was released only on Disney+.

I want to see KILERS OF THE FLOWER MOON, but I know it will be a difficult watch because of the subject manner.
"Barbie" was awesome. I had pre-purchased tickets and saw it on opening night. I loved the production design. Finally a colorful, fun film that actually had real sets. I read an entire article about the production design and they actually had the physical versions of the different Barbie Dreamhouses presented in the film. They measured the toy and measured Barbie. The production designers wanted to replicate the experience of playing with Barbie and her dream house. While Barbie obviously fits in the dreamhouse, she is comically so out of scale to the furniture and things in the house. Using their measurements, the production designers figured out that Barbie was xx% larger than the items in the dream house, so they built the sets to scale using that measurement. I also loved that Barbie had the fake food, fake water, and all that stuff to replicate the toys. It was so much fun. The scene with the Kens singing Matchbox Twenty's "Push" was hysterical--especially since the song is about singer Rob Thomas' experience in an emotionally abusive relationship. I loved the whole Barbie Land vs Ken Land and Ken's Mojo Dojo Casa House thing. If I had a criticism, I would say it is America Ferrara's big monologue. I loved the idea behind it, but I felt that it was a little heavy handed. I was also disturbed by the fact that Ferrara is the same age as me and has a teenage daughter, and then even more distressed by my realizing that that is not unbelievable. LOL. But that is neither here nor there. I also loved Michael Cera as Allan. His first entrance, "Hi, I'm Allan. I'm Ken's Buddy, I fit all his clothes," then later his awkward dancing at the Barbie party. I do wish that Aqua's "Barbie Girl" was more heavily featured, as I was the 13 year old in 1997 who unapologetically loved that song (I still love it now. I'll sing along with it if it comes on the 90s station on the radio). "Barbie" was the perfect, fun summer film.

I've seen a few of Greta Gerwig's films now, "Lady Bird," "Little Women," and now "Barbie." Gerwig is a year older than me and that might be why I find her films and characters relatable. "Lady Bird" features a main character who is graduating from high school in 2003 (actually a year after me). Gerwig, having presumably graduated high school the year before me, depicted her and my high school years very well. The clothes, the aesthetic of the film, everything. I loved it. Even "Barbie" contains little things from the 90s that I remember--I actually had one of the dolls that is in the "Weird Barbie's" house. I loved her adaptation of "Little Women." My only complaint is Florence Pugh playing Amy from child to adult. She looked absolutely ridiculous in the classroom scene with an obviously adult Pugh playing 12-year old Amy in a classroom full of her 12-year old "peers." I think they should have either cast a younger actress to play Amy during the childhood scenes, or should have cast older actresses to also play 12-year olds to sit in a classroom with Pugh.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I've only seen a few, and liked them all, though Saltburn could have been better.

Oppenheimer
Maestro
Past Lives
Asteroid City
Saltburn
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

and the Feinberg for Best Performance by a Juvenile goes to ... :smiley_worship:

1. CHLOE COLEMAN (Phoebe Drake), Pain Hustlers

2. BAILEE BONICK (Mackenzie Thomas), Theater Camp
3. ALEXANDER BELLO (Sebastian Campbell), Theater Camp
4. MILO MACHADO GRANER (Daniel Voyter), Anatomy of a Fall
5. LUKE ISLAM (Christopher L), Theater Camp
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 3:06 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: January 26th, 2024, 2:53 pm I only saw 3 movies released in 2023, but I liked them all:

BARBIE
WONKA
THE LITTLE MERMAID

I loved BARBIE!

"Barbie" was awesome. I had pre-purchased tickets and saw it on opening night. I loved the production design. Finally a colorful, fun film that actually had real sets. I read an entire article about the production design and they actually had the physical versions of the different Barbie Dreamhouses presented in the film. They measured the toy and measured Barbie. The production designers wanted to replicate the experience of playing with Barbie and her dream house. While Barbie obviously fits in the dreamhouse, she is comically so out of scale to the furniture and things in the house. Using their measurements, the production designers figured out that Barbie was xx% larger than the items in the dream house, so they built the sets to scale using that measurement. I also loved that Barbie had the fake food, fake water, and all that stuff to replicate the toys. It was so much fun. The scene with the Kens singing Matchbox Twenty's "Push" was hysterical--especially since the song is about singer Rob Thomas' experience in an emotionally abusive relationship. I loved the whole Barbie Land vs Ken Land and Ken's Mojo Dojo Casa House thing. If I had a criticism, I would say it is America Ferrara's big monologue. I loved the idea behind it, but I felt that it was a little heavy handed. I was also disturbed by the fact that Ferrara is the same age as me and has a teenage daughter, and then even more distressed by my realizing that that is not unbelievable. LOL. But that is neither here nor there. I also loved Michael Cera as Allan. His first entrance, "Hi, I'm Allan. I'm Ken's Buddy, I fit all his clothes," then later his awkward dancing at the Barbie party. I do wish that Aqua's "Barbie Girl" was more heavily featured, as I was the 13 year old in 1997 who unapologetically loved that song (I still love it now. I'll sing along with it if it comes on the 90s station on the radio). "Barbie" was the perfect, fun summer film.

I've always found Michael Cera to be very endearing (I saw him in a play a few years ago in Chicago) and his turn as Allan in BARBIE has cemented him on my list of favorite actors working today. I loved the authenticity of his wardrobe as Allan in the movie.

Greta Gewig and Noah Noah Baumbah's screenplay was brilliant. It nice that it received a much deserved Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar nomination. The two also make a cute couple in real life.

I'm also glad that Ryan Gosling received a much deserved Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for his role as Ken.. First, it's great to see some recognition given to comic performances, which are so often overlooked during these kinds of awards. Second, it would have been so easy for a "movie star" at Ryan Gosling's level of popular appeal to give a tongue-in-cheek performance in the role and wink at the audience, but he fully commits to bringing Ken to life. The part where Ken breaks down and cries is comical in the context of the movie, but if it were seen in isolation it would have the same power as one of those "emotionally wrenching" moments in some heavy dramatic movie.

The narration by Helen Mirren was also a nice touch.

And, yes, I also unapologetically still love Aqua's "Barbie Girl" as much as I did (and maybe more) when I first heard it as a 12-year old.
"Come on, Barbie, let's go party!"

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

...and the Feinberg for Best Supporting Actress goes to ... :yahoo:

1. LESLEY MANVILLE (Annabel Land), The Critic
2. EMILY BLUNT (Katherine ‘Kitty’ Oppenheimer), Oppenheimer
3. TRACEE ELLIS ROSS (Lisa M. Ellison), American Fiction
4. CHLOE COLEMAN (Phoebe Drake), Pain Hustlers
5. CELESTE O’CONNOR (Ryan), A Good Person
6. SANDRA HULLER (Hedwig Hoss), The Zone of Interest
7. DA’VINE JOY RANDOLPH (Mary Lamb), The Holdovers
8. CATHERINE O’HARA (Jackie), Pain Hustlers
9. PENELOPE CRUZ (Laura Ferrari), Ferrari
10. JILLIAN DION (Minnie), Killers of the Flower Moon
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 27th, 2024, 6:27 pm

BARBIE
WONKA
THE LITTLE MERMAID

I loved BARBIE!

I do wish that Aqua's "Barbie Girl" was more heavily featured, as I was the 13 year old in 1997 who unapologetically loved that song (I still love it now. I'll sing along with it if it comes on the 90s station on the radio). "Barbie" was the perfect, fun summer film.

And, yes, I also unapologetically still love Aqua's "Barbie Girl" as much as I did (and maybe more) when I first heard it as a 12-year old.
"Oh I'm having so much fun!"
"Well Barbie, we're just getting started."
"Oh, I love you, Ken!"
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: January 28th, 2024, 3:11 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: January 27th, 2024, 6:27 pm

I do wish that Aqua's "Barbie Girl" was more heavily featured, as I was the 13 year old in 1997 who unapologetically loved that song (I still love it now. I'll sing along with it if it comes on the 90s station on the radio). "Barbie" was the perfect, fun summer film.

"Oh I'm having so much fun!"
"Well Barbie, we're just getting started."
"Oh, I love you, Ken!"
On the subject of songs and Barbie, “I'm Just Ken,” by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song.

Here's hoping that Ryan Gosling performs the song at the Academy Awards ceremony with full-on Kenergy!

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

...and the Feinberg for Best Supporting Actor goes to ... :smiley_cheers:

1. ROBERT DE NIRO (William K. Hale/“King”), Killers of the Flower Moon
2. HUGO WEAVING (Billy) The Royal Hotel
3. JOHN ORTIZ (Arthur), American Fiction
4. ROBERT DOWNEY, JR. (Lewis Strauss), Oppenheimer
5. ANDY GARCIA (Dr. Jack Neel), Pain Hustlers
6. BRIAN D’ARCY JAMES (Dr. Lydell), Pain Hustlers
7. STERLING K. BROWN (Clifford ‘Cliff’ Ellison), American Fiction
8. DOMINIC SESSA (Angus Tully), The Holdovers