TCM & Ben's podcasts...

Post by ziggy6708a »

Anybody listening.....??
:?
was "mr6666" @ TCM
speedracer5

Re: TCM & Ben's podcasts...

Post by speedracer5 »

I listened to the Mel Brooks episode this morning. It was excellent and it's always fun to hear Mel's stories.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

I listened to the first episode with Nancy Meyers and enjoyed it - YMMV, depending on your opinion of Ben’s interview style and the guest at hand for each episode.
Some random comments:
- Nancy Meyers had some fun and interesting stories about Jack Nicholson and working on scripts with Billy Wilder.
- As a regular interview program, this series must be easier to produce than The Plot Thickens, which requires lots of research and post-production to give an in-depth look at the life of one person over multiple episodes.
- It sounds like one aim of the series is to mention some classic films that inspired the guests, which will then motivate the listener to seek out the films on MAX streaming. Although unfortunately not all of the films will be streaming there.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

cmovieviewer wrote: February 15th, 2024, 2:46 pm I listened to the first episode with Nancy Meyers and enjoyed it - YMMV, depending on your opinion of Ben’s interview style and the guest at hand for each episode.
Some random comments:
- Nancy Meyers had some fun and interesting stories about Jack Nicholson and working on scripts with Billy Wilder.
- As a regular interview program, this series must be easier to produce than The Plot Thickens, which requires lots of research and post-production to give an in-depth look at the life of one person over multiple episodes.
- It sounds like one aim of the series is to mention some classic films that inspired the guests, which will then motivate the listener to seek out the films on MAX streaming. Although unfortunately not all of the films will be streaming there.
Yes. They do make a point to mention MAX at the end. If you read the show notes on the podcast app, they indicate which of the mentioned films is playing on MAX. At least they aren't forcing their guests to only name films that are streaming on MAX.

The Plot Thickens was really good too. I loved the Lucy episode!
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

speedracer5 wrote: February 16th, 2024, 11:50 am The Plot Thickens was really good too. I loved the Lucy episode!
I loved The Plot Thickens too!
My favorite was Pam Grier's: I'm not as familiar with 70's-80's movie history as "Golden Age" and learned a lot from that episode!

Grier's participation in the telling of her own career history must have made production research/confirmation easier.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

The One Handshake Away podcast is also a good one for classic movie fans. (TCM promoted this podcast back in February.)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/o ... 1728742759

The idea of the series is to combine recorded conversations Peter Bogdanovich had in the past with classic film directors together with more recent interviews that cover similar topics about filmmaking. Apparently Mr. Bogdanovich had completed several new interviews prior to his passing in 2022, and Louise Stratten has stepped in to complete the production and add her own narration. I listened to the first episode that combines discussions with Alfred Hitchcock together with a more recent interview with Guillermo del Toro. Mr. del Toro knows a great deal about Hitchcock and provides many interesting comments that go with Hitchcock’s ideas as explained in his own words. Currently 6 episodes of the series have been released, each around an hour long.