WHAT'S HAPPENED TO KINGRAT????

Chit-chat, current events
Swithin

Re: WHAT'S HAPPENED TO KINGRAT????

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: February 27th, 2024, 5:59 pm What's the difference between being HIDDEN and a guest? There's one person listed as HIDDEN! LOL. How do you hide???
Just checked. There is this option:

Hide my online status:

It's in User Control Panel, Board Preferences

So, if they've said yes to that, their name won't show, unless they post of course. They would show up as guest. That is separate from lurkers, who just read posts without -- or before -- they log in. I don't log in every time I drop by, sometimes it's just to read stuff.

But you can choose the option not to have your name shown, even when you are logged in.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Swithin wrote: February 27th, 2024, 6:10 pm
Hibi wrote: February 27th, 2024, 5:59 pm What's the difference between being HIDDEN and a guest? There's one person listed as HIDDEN! LOL. How do you hide???

Hide my online status:

So, if they've said yes to that, their name won't show, unless they post of course. They would show up as guest. That is separate from lurkers, who just read posts without -- or before -- they log in. I don't log in every time I drop by, sometimes it's just to read stuff.

But you can choose the option not to have your name shown, even when you are logged in.
I had no idea that was there. Learn something new everyday I suppose.
The majority of users have made up names. Why they would want to be hidden surprises me.
My user name only means something to me. I used jimmymac71 on the old TCM forum.
Here I use jimimac71. My real name is James. Used mostly when Mom was upset. She used all 3 names.
I mostly go by Jim but a couple of people have always called me Jimmy.
It doesn't make me feel like a child anymore, not that it would be a bad thing.
The Mac part is named after my old 2007 iMac, model number 7,1.
Years ago, Jim Lange, while doing the morning show on KSFO, told us of a license plate on a car.
"ICE CAR." It was a Datsun. HA! Dats u nice car.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Swithin wrote: February 27th, 2024, 5:26 pm I'm curious as to why some presumably sensitive creatures don't want their names shown. But I think many of us allow our names to be shown, e.g. Swithin, Hibi, KayFrancis, Kingrat, Holden, etc.
Good chance that the hidden one is me. Only reason I use the hide is 'cause I leave my SSO page up 24/7 and it misleads others that I'm actually there. Had some hurt feelings on another forum 'cause they thought I was ignoring them when a question was posted to me. Don't post that much here, so probably wouldn't run into that situation.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

dianedebuda wrote: February 27th, 2024, 6:36 pm
Swithin wrote: February 27th, 2024, 5:26 pm I'm curious as to why some presumably sensitive creatures don't want their names shown. But I think many of us allow our names to be shown, e.g. Swithin, Hibi, KayFrancis, Kingrat, Holden, etc.
Good chance that the hidden one is me. Only reason I use the hide is 'cause I leave my SSO page up 24/7 and it misleads others that I'm actually there. Had some hurt feelings on another forum 'cause they thought I was ignoring them when a question was posted to me. Don't post that much here, so probably wouldn't run into that situation.
That makes sense. There are many posters, not just one, who prefer to have their names hidden, presumably for a variety of reasons.

But I would think (obviously incorrectly) that if you were logged in and not active for a while, you'd just be automatically logged out.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

FYI Lomm is the only one who knows how this website/forum works. He set it up & is the only one who can correct it.

My job is to keep members civil to each other when discussions get heated. A Moderator is like the teacher holding a ruler, Lomm controls who comes in & out of the building.

I do have several members' email addresses on file though, in case of a weird situation like this- I can still contact them if they have inadvertently been locked out.

What puzzles me is the disappearance of posts...intrepid received 3 warnings for his behaviour then was banned by the Administrators (not me) but all his posts remain archived for all to see.

Why would posts of those "bumped off" disappear? Probably old outdated software-and I don't always trust upgrades to go smoothly either!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hide my online status:

Good detective work! I never noticed that. As soon as I posted that Hidden went to zero. :)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: February 27th, 2024, 6:29 pm

Hide my online status:

I had no idea that was there. Learn something new everyday I suppose.
The majority of users have made up names. Why they would want to be hidden surprises me.
My user name only means something to me. I used jimmymac71 on the old TCM forum.
Here I use jimimac71. My real name is James. Used mostly when Mom was upset. She used all 3 names.
I mostly go by Jim but a couple of people have always called me Jimmy.
It doesn't make me feel like a child anymore, not that it would be a bad thing.
The Mac part is named after my old 2007 iMac, model number 7,1.
Years ago, Jim Lange, while doing the morning show on KSFO, told us of a license plate on a car.
"ICE CAR." It was a Datsun. HA! Dats u nice car.

I always think of that old song by Martha and the Vandellas, Jimmy Mack, when I see your screen name!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: February 28th, 2024, 7:11 am FYI Lomm is the only one who knows how this website/forum works. He set it up & is the only one who can correct it.

My job is to keep members civil to each other when discussions get heated. A Moderator is like the teacher holding a ruler, Lomm controls who comes in & out of the building.

I do have several members' email addresses on file though, in case of a weird situation like this- I can still contact them if they have inadvertently been locked out.

What puzzles me is the disappearance of posts...intrepid received 3 warnings for his behaviour then was banned by the Administrators (not me) but all his posts remain archived for all to see.

Why would posts of those "bumped off" disappear? Probably old outdated software-and I don't always trust upgrades to go smoothly either!

I contacted Lomm yesterday about this. Is he around?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

So Kingrat and Nellie are still MIA? That's frustrating. :(
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Hibi wrote: February 28th, 2024, 9:24 am I contacted Lomm yesterday about this. Is he around?
Yes, LZ saw the thread & contacted Lomm to look into it. No one knows how/why it happened.
but LZ did mention a poster by name, which is always helpful to Admins/Mods.

I'm glad I know many of you in real life and glad to have personal contact info to help when there's an issue.
I hate when someone just leaves & disappears.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

TikiSoo wrote: February 28th, 2024, 7:11 am FYI Lomm is the only one who knows how this website/forum works. He set it up & is the only one who can correct it.

Lomm and I had a disagreement in this area not long ago.
It is really unfortunate no one else is able to maintain the website.
I occasionally log out and take a break from the forum.
Chances are no one misses me.
Until yesterday, I hadn't posted since February 14th.
I enjoy posts from Diane.
I think of her when the Consumer Cellular "Butt Dial" ad comes on with the person on a tractor.
So far, I've have not experienced the ruler from you TikiSoo.
I have a feeling it is a thankless job.
I also belong to the Mac Rumors forum and mostly post in the Non-Apple section.
It isn't a family like here.
CinemaInternational is right, this site is different and better, in my opinion, than the former TCM forum.
I am impressed with someone so young being so spot on.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: February 28th, 2024, 12:46 pm
Hibi wrote: February 28th, 2024, 9:24 am I contacted Lomm yesterday about this. Is he around?
Yes, LZ saw the thread & contacted Lomm to look into it. No one knows how/why it happened.

I'm glad I know many of you in real life and glad to have personal contact info to help when there's an issue.

Yes, Lomm contacted me, but I hadn't read my pms yet. I listed all 3 screen names to him. He had no clue, but said he would look into it. Doesn't sound good. I'm afraid if they can't log in, they'll give up and we'll loose them. :( I hope they try to reregister.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: February 28th, 2024, 12:46 pm

In this case I don't think it was their doing (as Skimpole has related)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Jimmy Mack
Song by Martha Reeves

Jimmy Mack Jimmy
Oh, Jimmy Mack when are you comin' back
Jimmy Mack Jimmy,
Oh, Jimmy Mack when are you comin' back
My arms are missing you,
My lips feel the same way too
I tried so hard to be true, like I promised to do
But this guy keeps comin' around
He's tryin' to wear my resistance down
Hey, Jimmy, Jimmy
Oh, Jimmy Mack, when are you comin' back
Jimmy, Jimmy, oh, Jimmy Mack, you better hurry back
Now he calls me on the phone about three times a day
Now my heart doesn't listen to, what he has to say
But this loneliness I have within
Reaching out to be his friend
Hey, Jimmy, Jimmy
Jimmy, Jimmy, oh, Jimmy Mack, you better hurry back
I just need your loving, need your loving, yeah, yeah
I wanna say I'm not getting any stronger
I can't hold out very much longer
Trying hard, to be true
But Jimmy, he talks just as sweet as you
Hey, Jimmy, Jimmy
Jimmy, can't you hear me, Jimmy
Oh, Jimmy Mack, you better hurry back
I just need your loving, need your loving
Hey, oh, Jimmy Mack, when are you coming back
Hey, Jimmy Mack, you better hurry back
Oh, I'm not getting any stronger, I can't hold out very much longer

Songwriters: Brian Holland / Eddie Holland / Lamont Dozier
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Thanks Hibi!
My name goes way back. The original recording was an Edison Cylinder. Early 1900s.