WHAT'S HAPPENED TO KINGRAT????

Chit-chat, current events
HoldenIsHere

Re: WHAT'S HAPPENED TO KINGRAT????

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Helicopter guy wrote: February 29th, 2024, 12:45 am
Hibi wrote: February 27th, 2024, 3:45 pm Can there possibly be 128 guests on here today? That must be more than our membership! Something is off here.
Bots, mostly. Search engines.
The search engines (Bots) show up as registered users.

The guests would have to be the individual devices' browsers using the search engines.

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

The registration issues are because of spambots and fake accounts...if people like that didn't exist we could just have an instant register/activate/start posting process. It's disgusting to me all the people out there with nothing better to do than try to scam people or just try to flood the forum to ruin it "for fun".

As to finding another host, that's up to Lynn to decide, since I'm not the one paying! :)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Lomm wrote: February 29th, 2024, 3:14 pm The registration issues are because of spambots and fake accounts...if people like that didn't exist we could just have an instant register/activate/start posting process. It's disgusting to me all the people out there with nothing better to do than try to scam people or just try to flood the forum to ruin it "for fun".

As to finding another host, that's up to Lynn to decide, since I'm not the one paying! :)
We do live in a world where plenty of people just don't care.
Where I get TV, someone hit a car with his truck. The car was part of a sideshow.
The people beat the guy up, beat on his truck, then set it on fire.
I do recall you saying someone graciously pays for the hosting of Silver Screen Oasis.
I'm being forced into 2-step authorization, which makes me crazy. :tickedoff:
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

I noticed earlier today while searching for some text in the messages, the search came back with the contents of a specific message that I was looking for. However, there was no user name for the message and when I went to the topic thread the message was not there.

Just mentioning this in case it helps anyone. If you are looking for a missing message you might try searching for some text and see if it finds it. It might be missing in the thread but if there was something brilliant you wanted to get back you might be able to find the text and copy and paste it to a local file.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: February 29th, 2024, 3:57 pm I noticed earlier today while searching for some text in the messages, the search came back with the contents of a specific message that I was looking for. However, there was no user name for the message and when I went to the topic thread the message was not there.

Just mentioning this in case it helps anyone. If you are looking for a missing message you might try searching for some text and see if it finds it. It might be missing in the thread but if there was something brilliant you wanted to get back you might be able to find the text and copy and paste it to a local file.
Thanks for sharing that. Maybe they are floating in the ether somewhere...
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

cmovieviewer wrote: February 29th, 2024, 3:57 pm I noticed earlier today while searching for some text in the messages, the search came back with the contents of a specific message that I was looking for. However, there was no user name for the message and when I went to the topic thread the message was not there.

I discovered that some text could be found--I searched for "southern Sweden" which was in a post about Max von Sydow--but I couldn't get from the entry in the search to the actual post. My name had been removed from the post, and I couldn't jump to the post. I could get to the thread, which I had started, but my post was not there. Any ideas about how to proceed? Thank you very much for this suggestion.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

kingrat wrote: March 1st, 2024, 5:06 pm

I discovered that some text could be found--I searched for "southern Sweden" which was in a post about Max von Sydow--but I couldn't get from the entry in the search to the actual post. My name had been removed from the post, and I couldn't jump to the post. I could get to the thread, which I had started, but my post was not there. Any ideas about how to proceed? Thank you very much for this suggestion.
Try this archive.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240216050 ... m/oasis3/

If the post was newer than 16 Feb 2024, try going to the parent archive site, and choose a date with a green circle...

https://web.archive.org/web/20240000000 ... asis.com/
Last edited by txfilmfan on March 1st, 2024, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Thank you! This should help skimpole and others as well.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

It's not easy to navigate, but content should be there. Links should (mostly) work, but searching (as if you were searching inside SSO) will not.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

I'm trying it, but all I see are the pages as they appear now, without my posts.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Hibi wrote: February 29th, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thanks for sharing that. Maybe they are floating in the ether somewhere...
This works because of the site search index, which does not update as rapidly as the topic pages themselves. :( What you are seeing is the partially cached text of the original post, but the actual post is, sadly, no longer there.

The web archive trick should work for those posts that were in place when they took their snapshot.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

All I get when I try the web archive is the index page for that date. There's no way of getting the actual thread as of that date. When I try searching the web archive pages, all I get is the login page.