Hey there!

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
Darla

Hey there!

Post by Darla »

Thought I'd say hi - my name's Darla - nice to meet everyone. Classic movies are the best! :smiley_heartbounce:
The best is yet to come
Dargo

Re: Hey there!

Post by Dargo »

Hi Darla! Welcome to the boards.

So for openers, how about listing your five all-time favorite classic films?

(...or ten, if you're a mind to)
Darla

Post by Darla »

Hi there! Thanks for the welcome. :)
Hmm...that could be tricky for me - so many good ones!
Off the top of my head, though:
- Bringing Up Baby is an all-time favorite - the movie that never fails to make me laugh! And speaking of Cary Grant, Notorious is another favorite.
- Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, Rear Window, It's A Wonderful Life... - Jimmy Stewart has such a special place in my heart.
- The Adventures of Robin Hood (loved this one since childhood, and have spent the last few months steadily devouring Errol Flynn's filmography almost in its entirety - The Dawn Patrol, Gentleman Jim, The Adventures of Don Juan, and The Perfect Specimen have all become new favorites as a result)
- The Parent Trap (pretty much all things Hayley Mills, actually)
- I've always loved Anastasia with Ingrid Bergman & Yul Brynner
- Two Weeks with Love, The Thin Man movies, My Man Godfrey, Send Me No Flowers, With Six You Get Eggroll, The Out-of-Towners, Good Neighbor Sam, The Court Jester, White Christmas, Oklahoma! The Music Man, all things Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen...I guess I could go on and on haha!
The best is yet to come
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Great list, Darla. Thanks for compiling it. Many of those, both the films and the stars you mentioned, are favorites of mine as well.

And, with your new-found love of Errol Flynn, you'll have a lot to talk about with another of our established regular contributors around here who goes by the name "speedracer". She's a big fan of his too.

(...and so once again, welcome to the fold)
Darla

Post by Darla »

Thanks so much!! Oh, I look forward to making speedracer's acquaintance then! Thanks again for the welcome.
The best is yet to come
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Darla wrote: March 8th, 2024, 11:29 pm Hi there! Thanks for the welcome. :)
Hmm...that could be tricky for me - so many good ones!
Off the top of my head, though:
- Bringing Up Baby is an all-time favorite - the movie that never fails to make me laugh! And speaking of Cary Grant, Notorious is another favorite.
- Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, Rear Window, It's A Wonderful Life... - Jimmy Stewart has such a special place in my heart.
- The Adventures of Robin Hood (loved this one since childhood, and have spent the last few months steadily devouring Errol Flynn's filmography almost in its entirety - The Dawn Patrol, Gentleman Jim, The Adventures of Don Juan, and The Perfect Specimen have all become new favorites as a result)
- I've always loved Anastasia with Ingrid Bergman & Yul Brynner
- Two Weeks with Love, The Thin Man movies, My Man Godfrey, Send Me No Flowers, With Six You Get Eggroll, The Out-of-Towners, Good Neighbor Sam, The Court Jester, White Christmas, Oklahoma! The Music Man, all things Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen...I guess I could go on and on haha!
Welcome, Darla!

I'm a fan of Cary Grant as well.
It looks like you have a couple of Doris Day movies as favorites. I am a big fan of hers.
I was at a screening of The Music Man at last year's TCM Classic Film Festival. I also saw That Touch Of Mink with Doris Day and Cary Grant there. The audience really loved it.
Musicals are my favorite movie genre, but I enjoy all genres really.
I'm a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock's movies.
Last edited by BagelOnAPlate on March 9th, 2024, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Welcome!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Darla wrote: March 8th, 2024, 11:29 pm...
The Flame Trees of Thika?
Darla

Post by Darla »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: March 9th, 2024, 1:18 pm Welcome, Darla!

I'm a fan of Cary Grant as well.
It looks like you have a couple of Doris Day movies as favorites. I am a big fan of hers.
I was at a screening of The Music Man at last year's TCM Classic Film Festival. I also saw That Touch Of Mink with Doris Day and Cary Grant there. The audience really loved it.
Musicals are my favorite movie genre, but I enjoy all genres really.
I'm a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock's movies.
Yes, musicals are a favorite of mine too. I also love My Fair Lady (just got to rewatch that one at a recent theater rerelease), Bye Bye Birdie, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and many others.
Allhallowsday wrote: March 9th, 2024, 2:21 pm

You know, that's one I've missed!! I will have to check it out now, thank you. I read Hayley's autobiography this summer, Forever Young. It was excellent. She narrates the audiobook, so that was a lovely way to experience it. : )
The best is yet to come
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Darla wrote: March 9th, 2024, 10:49 pm

You know, that's one I've missed!! I will have to check it out now, thank you. I read Hayley's autobiography this summer, Forever Young. It was excellent. She narrates the audiobook, so that was a lovely way to experience it. : )
Welcome Darla, I read that autobiography as well, she didn't seem to have a bad word to say about anybody...except Oliver Reed.

My top five favorite Hayley Mills films=

The Parent Trap (1961)
The Family Way (1966)
That Darn Cat (1965)
The Moon Spinners (1964)
The Trouble With Angels (1966)
Last edited by Detective Jim McLeod on March 16th, 2024, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darla

Post by Darla »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: March 10th, 2024, 1:44 pm

Welcome Darla, I read that autobiography as well, she didn't seem to have a bad word to say about anybody...except Oliver Reed.

My top five favorite Hayley Mills films=

The Parent Trap (1961)
The Family Way (1967)
That Darn Cat (1965)
The Moon Spinners (1964)
The Trouble With Angels (1966)
Haha yes, I do remember her commenting negatively about him - but you're right...she was very gracious about most everyone!

Those are great Hayley Mills picks -
I don't know if you've ever seen Tiger Bay or Whistle Down the Wind or Sky West and Crooked - but those are all great as well. The Parent Trap and The Moonspinners are probably my favorites if I had to choose.
The best is yet to come
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Darla , I agree with your list, I'd add Pollyanna to your list of favorite Hayley Mills movies. It's one of my favorite Hayley films.
Last edited by KayFrancis on March 12th, 2024, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Welcome! Most of us are refugees from Turner Classic Movies Message Board that went under last year. Hope you'll enjoy it here.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Darla wrote: March 11th, 2024, 11:43 pm
Haha yes, I do remember her commenting negatively about him - but you're right...she was very gracious about most everyone!

Those are great Hayley Mills picks -
I don't know if you've ever seen Tiger Bay or Whistle Down the Wind or Sky West and Crooked - but those are all great as well. The Parent Trap and The Moonspinners are probably my favorites if I had to choose.
[/quote]

I have seen Tiger Bay and Whistle Down The Wind (I loved that one). I haven't seen Sky West And Crooked, I will try to check that out.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Allhallowsday wrote: March 9th, 2024, 2:21 pm
Darla wrote: March 8th, 2024, 11:29 pm...
I see you use a question mark. I would have used an exclamation point. She is marvelous in that.
Mona