WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

Irene Dunne was a superb actress. She had depth.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Beyond “Together Again”

I have not seen this movie and this is one of the few of Irene`s movies that I do not have. I just love her singing. She sang in at least twenty of her forty three movies.

Thank you Jack, I stand corrected.
Last edited by Fossy on October 6th, 2013, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sure you meant that Frances Dee and Joel McCrea met on the set of The Silver Cord? Just trying to make sure that the information is clear and correct here at the SSO, they did NOT meet on the set of Together Again. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I watched Psycho with Alice last night. She LOVED it. And sophisticate that she is at age almost 13, she even got in the shower last night afterwards. All that worry for nothing. :D

I've asked her to write up her thoughts to post, or let me write them up for her here.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Good for Alice. I think kids are more mature than we were when we were that age. (Of course some of us were that age a lot longer ago than others.)

If she writes anything like you do......
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's nice, Chris! I hope she does end up writing up her thoughts herself. She has a birthday party to go to today, but hopefully tomorrow we'll get down to the important things. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I finally saw Spielberg's LINCOLN film. I liked it. Loved it? No. Not exactly. It's a fine movie, but no better than a lot of other movies. Exceptionally well acted. An interesting story. If there's a problem, it's that it's just a lot of talk. Talk about important issues. Fascinating history. But talk nonetheless. The story could be told just as effectively on radio. This is a motion picture with very little movement.

Old fashioned guy that I am, I kind of like ABE LINCOLN IN ILLINOIS better. It's dramatic. Exciting. I guess I even prefer Raymond Massey's theatrical portrayal of the man. Daniel Day-Lewis is terrific. No problem there. But Raymond Massey's Lincoln? That's hard to beat!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I saw John Sturges' Mystery Street this morning on TCM.

I completely enjoyed this movie, it starts out as a noir, goes into a little CSI kind of forensics story, and ends as a police procedural. The cast and characterizations make it exceptional, with Ricardo Montalban as the dogged cop who just keeps working and working, piecing through evidence that most wouldn't bother with. He's not always right, and he isn't particularly intuitive, but he just can't let the search rest. Bruce Bennett is the Harvard forensics expert who starts with only bones and puts together a scenario for murder for Montalban, steering him in the right direction. The supporting cast is great, just listen to these names and you'll get the idea:

Elsa Lanchester - she gives the great Esther Howard a run for her money in playing blowsy landladies. Blackmailer, the scene where she goes through the killer's desk is very suspenseful.

Marshall Thompson - the innocent young husband whose one guilty experience consists of getting drunk and letting a femme fatale take him for a ride, literally. Thompson is an actor who makes SO much of his young innocent roles, the guy deserved a medal for bringing so much complexity to the standard sap role.

Jan Sterling - our femme with a secret, ripe for getting herself offed. Sterling is excellent at playing these kinds of roles, She doesn't have the status of Shelley Winters, but is far better at playing the tramp. It comes from within with Jan, doesn't seem like a put on. She's got a hard dumb edge to her and we pretty much know her secret before it comes out in the film, because her acting is so good.

Betsy Blair - Jan's neighbor, another girl down on her luck, but without the wiles or the looks of Sterling. She's another who is so good with so little. She's got a lot going on here, something depressed and a little shrewish, like she'd been alone for a long time. I wished the movie was about her.

Sally Forrest - the wife of poor dumb Marshall Thompson. She has a terrific scene where she rips the cop a new one, the police have actually helped to ruin the young couple's life together, perhaps forever. The women in this picture are really interesting, even the nicest of them have a hard edge, due to events and tragedies brought about by circumstance.

One other huge mention - John Alton is the cinematographer, and he never disappoints. That's actually what kept me watching the film, though I had been curious when reading the description on the schedule. Once I saw his name, and then the first couple of scenes with their deep focus and shadowy lighting, I was hooked. Thanks to ChiO, for cluing us in on Alton. It's a great looking movie, but that's a given with this cinematographer. I loved an establishing shot on the street, all neon, one sign saying DREAMLAND, and on the opposite side NO WAY OUT. Also enjoyed the rooming house scene where Lanchester confronts Sterling about the rent, then accidentally tips the hanging lamp, sending the light careening around the back of the room. Also liked those shadowy scenes where Lanchester spies on Sterling, listening to her phone calls. But the whole movie is full of interesting shots, like the ones at the end in the train yard, or the oddly lit racquetball court where Montalban works off his frustration with the case. A very good film, it's odd that I've never heard of it.
Last edited by JackFavell on October 12th, 2013, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Excellent review of Mystery Street, Wendy. I noted the interesting performance given by Edmon Ryan as James Joshua Harkle, the WASP on the Cape condescending about the Cape Verdean-sounding accent that Ricardo Montalban sported as the police officer. Ryan certainly was repellent, but awfully human in his efforts to put on a good front. I pitied him when Elsa Lanchester got him in her sights for blackmail.

In addition to sharing your wish that Betsy Blair had been the focal point of the movie, I wished that she could meet Bruce Bennett, the Harvard forensic researcher...but that's another movie, huh?

Did you see the Louis de Rochement spy movie Walk East on Beacon! (1952) a couple of weeks ago on TCM? It is another movie from the period that used more Boston landmarks than just about any movie I've ever seen. According to this flick, there were stinkin' Soviet spies meeting on the steps of the State House, Prof. Finlay Currie lived in the Fenway area, and Chelsea Harbor was teeming with shipping. And there were Commie subs off the coast of Eastham! Oh, those were the days.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

moirafinnie wrote:Excellent review of Mystery Street, Wendy. I noted the interesting performance given by Edmon Ryan as James Joshua Harkle, the WASP on the Cape condescending about the Cape Verdean-sounding accent that Ricardo Montalban sported as the police officer. Ryan certainly was repellent, but awfully human in his efforts to put on a good front. I pitied him when Elsa Lanchester got him in her sights for blackmail.

I was going to mention Edmon Ryan but my review was getting out of hand length wise. I thought he was excellent as the upstanding businessman who thought he had gotten away with something. he was mighty convincing when he told Elsa he didn't know what she was talking about. He provided most of the plot's suspense. Elsa was pretty repellent herself in this movie, none of those quirky charming moments she usually brings, more like quirky sleazy. I was literally screaming at the detectives to find the key in the birdcage at the end, it drove me crazy that they missed that and the phone number written in the hallway when they did their 'thorough' search of the house. But that made it waay more suspenseful.
In addition to sharing your wish that Betsy Blair had been the focal point of the movie, I wished that she could meet Bruce Bennett, the Harvard forensic researcher...but that's another movie, huh?
I didn't even think of them hooking up! I wish I had. I also wished she'd been the star. Hers was a character that would have been great in her own movie.

Did you see the Louis de Rochement spy movie Walk East on Beacon! (1952) a couple of weeks ago on TCM? It is another movie from the period that used more Boston landmarks than just about any movie I've ever seen. According to this flick, there were stinkin' Soviet spies meeting on the steps of the State House, Prof. Finlay Currie lived in the Fenway area, and Chelsea Harbor was teeming with shipping. And there were Commie subs off the coast of Eastham! Oh, those were the days.[/quote]

I didn't see it, and didn't even notice it on the sched. Now I wish I had! First of all, Finlay Currie is absolutely terrific, and secondly, I'd like to see evil commies just try to infiltrate Boston... never gonna happen. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I watched The Silver Cord this last week, and I was so glad for the recommendation here!

The film is a tight story, with a lot of punch. As everyone has already noted, Laura Hope Crews brought such realism to her role. She combined an ability to play 'big', even grandiose, as called for by the character, while keeping it real and even understandable. I wonder if the role was written for her? She fit it like a glove and gave an incredible performance. I actually saw tears in her eyes at one point. She was so much more than Aunt Pitty.

But what surprised me in the film more than anything else, was Irene Dunne. She and Frances Dee gave great performances of their own. Dee was spot on, and her big scene called for her to lose it, go on a crying jag, and run from the house. Though some might question this kind of huge built up anxiety in her character, I thought she did a tremendous job, mainly because I was watching her in the background of the earlier scenes. I saw her wringing her hands, the flickering looks that crossed her face as she saw Dunne walking into Crews' territory. Dee made me see what built up to her breakdown, long before it happened, so it wasn't a shock to me.

As for Dunne, well, I've got to admit when I'm wrong, and I've been wrong about Dunne for a long time. I never really liked her, I'm not sure why. I felt she was cold and aloof, a little bit diva, if you know what I mean. I really hated her sarcastic laugh, it felt like a put on. Oh, there were roles of hers that I loved, put aside from the others - I Remember Mama, Penny Serenade, and Theodora Goes Wild, in which what I THOUGHT was her natural reticence, that aloofness, was overcome. But when watching Thirteen Women, for instance, I instinctively rooted for Myrna. :oops:

But in the last few years as I've watched her more and more, and especially in the last month, Irene overcame my dislike. Watching Together Again, which is admittedly slight, gave me an appreciation of the softer side of Irene. And she pretty much carries that movie. She slowly won me over. I started to realize that some of the flutter and affectation that I didn't like about her was actually ACTING on her part, her roles had been of that nature. It surprised me.

Now I see The Silver Cord, and I am just overwhelmed by her in this movie. It's probably my favorite of her performances. She is just superb at playing a working woman, and there's absolutely NO PHONY about her. She's strong without apology, smart, and if I could pick a role model for myself, this would be it. She's wonderful. Thanks to Maven and Fernando for giving me the opportunity to see Irene Dunne for what she is. A really fine actress.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What a wonderfully written review JaxXxon. And I don't say that only because you liked a film I liked. One of the things we talked about when we watched the film together, was you saying you could see Dunne's "thoughtfulness." You could see her thinking in this film. As a former actress yourself, would you speak a little about that? What was your favorite moment in the movie? I found Dunne particularly modern in her playing this role. She doesn't really read 30's to me. What would you think of Hepburn, Harding or Shearer playing the Dunne part? How about 1930's Constance or Crawford or Davis or deHavilland or Colbert or Sylvia Sidney? Remember, they'd have to be believable as a "Lady Scientist" in Heidelberg, too. What did you think of how Joel McCrea handled his role...big strong tall handsome fellow becoming infantilized by his Mother. And of Eric Linden, who was excellent. And as perfect as I agree Laura Hope Crews was, is there another who you might think could play it? Boland, Lucile Watson, Bainter, And also... ( puff! puff! ) relative to nothing...would you please speak about Fay Bainter? Guess I want folks to read more of your thoughts. Or maybe it's just my own silly selfishness in wanting to read it. Go and give Lily a good long walk ( Lilaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! I miss her puppy breath! ) Have the cool air clear your mind and come back and write what you think.

Again, thank you Fernando for talking up the movie on your FaceBook page. I didn't even know WHAT A GEM I had in my hands. And for that, I must thank poster CarrieLiz...whereEVER you are, dear!! :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I will get back to you, but it might be tomorrow! There's a lot in your post I want to address, and the family has the day off today. We are going out, so I'll try to reply as soon as I can. Also, I have a stuffy head still, which makes thinking difficult. Hopefully our trip to the apple orchard will clear my brain. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've had "The Silver Cord" sitting in my binder for some months. Guess I'll have to get it out.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Wendy,

You were spot on about Irene Dunne being cold and aloof (well, cool & aloof, if the truth be known)...
She had a sort of condescending presence, as though Elizabeth I or Catherine the Great had just arrived. I didn't know her very well, she would hold out her hand and shake yours and look down at you and say, "How are you, dear?" and then just exit (stage right) - she didn't want an answer...
Judy Lewis (who was a great friend of mine) said she reminded her of the witch in Snow White - "Come dear, take a bite" - Judy would always utter whenever we saw Irene....

Now the reverse:
I have seen most of Miss Dunne's movies and I think she was the greatest actress and star in film history.
She could act, sing, dance & do drama, tragedy, comedy and farce; and she photographed wonderfully.
She aged beautifully; even when I last saw her at Loretta Young's house in 1986, she looked like she came right out of 1935... On that occasion I did manage to get about 4 sentences out of her about her trip to British Columbia once long ago (that was for my Canadian essence!!)......

I enjoyed reading your critique on the lofty Irene!!!

Larry