WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Post by feaito »

I've just finished watching the Director's Cut 295 minutes version of the "Dune" (2000) Miniseries, definitely my favorite science fiction story. Great entertainment!
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched the wonderful "cardboard" fantasy "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves" (1944), pure escapism, with Jon Hall as the dashing Ali Baba and sultry María Montez as Amara his beloved since childhood. Since I was a kid I had remembered the scene in which both, played by child actors Scotty Beckett and Yvette Duguay, pledge to be engaged to each other and mix their bloods in signal of it. The print I saw was pristine and sharp with vivid colors. A joy to behold. 100% harmless entertainment.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Just bought copies of "La Vie en Rose" and "Hogfather." My kids go back to scholl to morrow, so I will have a clear shot at the TV. Yeah!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks to a Frenc friend I finally watched the very acclaimed King Vidor masterpiece "The Crowd" (1928); "a slice of life"; the account of the little failures of an average man who believed he was destined for success and who learns the hard way that career achievements are not easy as he thought, least of all in NY City.

But after all, this "average" man achieves something that's infinitely more important and valuable from any point of view: the unconditional support and love of someone who cares and will be there for you no matter what.

The two leads, James Murray and Eleanor Boardman are absolutely terrific; they give utterly believable, sincere, honest, very touching performances; among the very best I've seen in any film, either silent or talking.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Today in the morning I watched for the nth time "Ever After" (1998), a highly enjoyable rendering of the perennial Perrault fairy tales. Drew Barrymore's face surely resembles that of her great-aunt Ethel when she was young.

Then I watched with my Dad the 1952 version of "Les Miserables" which is quite different from the same version released by Fox in 1935 (for instance, the events that lead Valjean into becoming an entrepreneur are detailedly depicted; also there's a new character played by James Robertson Justice, to whom Jean confesses his convict past).

I must say that Michael Rennie's and Robert Newton's performances do not compare with the mesmerizing performances given by Fredric March and Charles Laughton in the 1935 version, but they are not bad either, just adequate. An enjoyable film but nothing more.

Then I saw "Double Wedding" (1937) another Powell-Loy pairing, IMO not up to the level of "Love Crazy" or "I Love You Again", but still a good screwball comedy in which Bill Powell impersonates a bohemian artist. Each time I see a new film of Mr. Powell I realize the huge talent the man had and how he was able to carry film after film. Myrna is very good too as a woman who does not tolerate any improvisation in her life.

I really don't know if the film's failure in accomplishing an altogether successfulness has to do with the script or with the second leads' performances; Florence Rice and John Beal tried hard, but I was not really convinced by their impersonations; Rosalind Russell and Bob Montgomery might have been perfect in their roles. Who knows?

There is fine support especially by Jessie Ralph, Sidney Toler, Edgar Kennedy and Barnett Parker in a quite obvious "pansy" role. The finale is quite hilarious.
feaito

Post by feaito »

watched an interesting early talkie with lots of Pre-Code aspects to it "Way For a Sailor" (1930) starring Jack Gilbert in great shape and with a great voice as a tough merchant sailor. His voice sounds very different to that heard on the notorious "His Glorious Night" (1929), stronger, huskier and not nasal. Certainly early recording techniques distorted the sound of voices. I even recall that while watching "Our Blushing Brides" (1930), Joan Crawford's voice sounded very different from scene to scene and I kept wondering why.

The film is pretty good and has plenty of action in many ports and at sea, with some early special effects during a storm at sea. Jim Tully and Wallace Beery play Jack's sidekicks very well.

Leila Hyams, one of the most beautiful actresses of the 1930s is very good as Jack's love interest. She had a naturalness to her that set her apart from other "theatrical" actresses of the early talkie period. She was tough but vulnerable at the same time, with a down to earth quality that was utterly likable. She's superb here. And makes a handsome couple with Jack. Jack Gilbert is very good and believable as a sailor and gives a natural, unaffected performance. His devil-may-care ways and his shenanigans with his sidekicks are most enjoyable. A pleasant surprise.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Somehow I screwed up and copied this from here to Dramas, so just ignore this one and if you care to respond, please do so under that one.

Thanks, Anne

So, there I was this morning watching the early news (which is just a rehash of yesterday), waiting for The Barretts of Wimpole Street, and lo and behold, 6:00 a.m. comes and the TV switches channels but comes up in color!!! Since Elizabeth is one of my favorite Norma Shearer roles, I was surprised to see the name of Jennifer Jones come on screen. I wasn't even aware that this version existed! Every time I've seen The Barretts . . . it was always the B&W Norma/Fredric March version.

Naturally I preferred Bill Travers as Mr. Browning since you can take Fredric March and Charles Boyer and roll them up in the same ball and toss them back out the door, but Jennifer just didn't have it for this one. She didn't seem weak or ill at all, of course, Elizabeth really wasn't that bad off, her father was the sick one, but Norma made her seem more frail. Speaking of her father, Sir John Gielgud was certainly a match for Charles Laughton here. He was equally as menacing although in a different way. Laughton used fear, but Gielgud seemed evil.

Bill Travers, although I'm not real familiar with him, I can recall him in other roles, but for the life of me, I can't name them. However, he did carry the part of the charismatic poet to a charming height. Also, in this version, all the brothers and sisters were more lively than in the original. Although they weren't in too many scenes all together, they all exhibited the family feeling very well.

Did anyone else see this version this morning? and did you know about it?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched the very fine action-adventure yarn "Seven Sinners" (1941) with Marlene Dietrich as an alluring, tempestuous and extremely notorious "entertainer" (Bijou) in the Indonesian islands. Marlene gets to wear some gorgeous clothes (Irene creations) and jewels, very implausible for the locales of the film, but then she's THE Diva. Broderick Crawford is a joy to behold as sailor who's devoted to her protection and Mischa Auer is very fien as a con man and thief who travels with la Dietrich. John Wayne is the Navy Officer she falls for; Anna Lee is the daughter of the Governor of one of the Islands, who's fond of Wayne; Billy Gilbert is totally amusing as the owner of the "Seven Sinners" tavern; Oscar Homolka is a menacing fiend in love with Bijou and Albert Dekker is a hardened doctor.

Grade A entertainment.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I agree with your delightful rundown of the many charms of Seven Sinners. That bit of south sea escapism is a real hoot, Fernando, but I beg to differ with you slightly. You mention that Miss Dietrich is a joy to behold in the resplendent costumes that she sported in that movie. Well, gee, let's not forget that someone else looked more than splendid in his sparkling white duds and that slightly sheepish boyish expression:John Wayne.

If anything that I've read is even half true, Marlene thought that the Duke was mighty "purty" in his dress white naval uniform back then too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Well Moira I agree too :wink: Certainly John Wayne looks quite dashing for the ladies in this movie... No wonder Dietrich's character goes ga-ga over him in the film. There were lots of chemistry between them both in the picture. Dietrich and Wayne also co-starred in "Pittsburgh" and "The Spoilers" in 1942, so I bet they got along darn fine!! :wink:

I watched another early talkie from 1930, directed by Sam Wood (who also directed "Way For a Sailor") and co-starring Leila Hyams: "The Girl Said No". It's the second William Haines talkie I see -the first was "Fast Life" (1932) and I liked it much better- and I must say that I found Haines' irresponsible character and his antics quite obnoxious and annoying (he plays a pampered College graduate who's playing around forever). Still it was interesting to watch, especially after Haines' dad dies and his character becomes more sensible. Leila Hyams is good, but fared better in "Way For a Sailor" -she and Jack Gilbert make a much more credible couple.

Marie Dressler, playing a stingy millionairess, has a quite hilarious scene with Haines, who's trying to sell him some bonds.

Fine supporting from Clara Blandick as Haines' mum, William V. Mong as his dad, Polly Moran as the funny maid of their household, Henry Armetta as an hilarious waiter, Francis X. Bushman Jr. as Haines' rival for Hyams affections and I swear I saw Blanche Frederici (uncredited) as Bushman's Jr. mother.

I'd like to watch more of Bill Haines' talkies to have a definitive opinion about his "Sound" Film Persona.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Hi Feaito - I do enjoy reading your posts here of all the films you watch, but I can't help but think, gee, he sure seems to watch a bunch of movies each week. So, on average, how many films do you watch a week? Are these films you buy, rent (got Netfilx in South America?) or obtain in trade from other film buffs? Just curious.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Jezebel,

I have around 800 officially released DVDs, many of them bought in the US via Amazon or DeepdiscoutDVD.

I also have around 360 films on DVD-R, many of them product of trades with collectors from USA, Europe and South America.

I have over 200 VHS, officially relased and many films taped off of TCM USA while on visit to your country, between 2002-2005.

Besides, my Cable Company carries two Classic Movie Channels Cinecanal Classics and TCM Latin.

This past week I've been on Medical leave at home so I have watched a lot of films. I have not counted how many films I watch each week, but I've sometimes seen 3 or four films a day, on weekends.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Well... I have finally watched "The Winning of Barbara Worth" (1926) which contains Gary Cooper's first featured role; in fact the third lead. It's Ronald Colman's and Vilma Banky's second star vehicle and it's quite engrossing. A western seems a strange choice for both stars though.

The three leads are very good and interplay very well. There's an impressive flood scene and the print is in excellent condition
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

feaito wrote:
Besides, my Cable Company carries two Classic Movie Channels Cinecanal Classics and TCM Latin.
WOW!! That's a lot of films! So what type of films does Cinecanal broadcast? I just checked out their website, and it looks like Hollywood films - do they show International films also? I wish TCM would pump up their International films - I really enjoyed a couple years back when they showcased the Mexican films. I even liked some of the Bollywood films they showed once - I get a kick out of watching song and dance numbers in movies from other countries.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi again Jez,

Cinecanal Classics is a premium Cable TV Channel aimed at the Spanish Speaking market in all the Americas, that broadcasts mainly Hollywood (& some British) films from the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s & 1960s (mainly released under the Paramount, Universal & Fox banners). Thanks to this channel I've been able to see for the first time Ladd's "The Great Gatsby", Joan Bennett's "The Man I Married"; also "Love Letters", "Ivy", "Something to Live For", "September Affair", the 1938 version of "The Buccaneer", "Josette" & many more.

I have enough other channels for International films, but not of the class I'd like to watch (Classic films from France, Germany, Italy and UK for example). But I get to watch some French goodies on TV5.

I have just seen two films in a row:

"Love is a Many-Splendored Thing" (1955). Believe it or not it is the first time I watch this landmark romantic melodrama with one of my favorite actresses, Jennifer Jones, and Bill Holden. I read somewhere that Miss Jones did not get along at all with Mr. Holden. That does not show on screen though. It's a beautifully photographed, sentimental film, but not overly sentimental as I thought. It was good entertainment and the leads are fine.

"The Dark Angel" (1935). A quite engrossing love story starring Fredric March, Merle Oberon and Herbert Marshall. It's a remake of a Silent film starring Ronald Colman and Vilma Banky, which I do not know if it's extant. I saw a beautiful print (copied off TCM). Merle Oberon is quite effective as the woman in love with March since childhood, and they have a couple of very sensitively played scenes together. Goldwyn always made high quality films with top production values.