Alan Ladd

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: Alan Ladd

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 16th, 2023, 7:56 am
Andree wrote: August 15th, 2023, 10:25 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 6:38 pm Hugh Beaumont -- blandest, dullest actor ever. Just looking at him makes me sleepy.

THIS GUN FOR HIRE is my favorite Ladd/Lake pairing as well. I've never seen SAIGON but am not in any rush.

I'm not a Brian Donlevy fan. It seemed his character in THE BLUE DAHLIA was a continuation of sorts from THE GREAT MCGINTY, or am I nuts? (don't answer, lol)
True, but I have a soft spot for Hugh because I first knew him as Ward Cleaver on LITB, one of my favorite TV shows
(on FETV 11 to 12 in the morning). He certainly doesn't light up the screen. For whatever reason I just wasn't in the
mood to watch TGFH on this go around. Nuts? Only your headshrinker knows for sure.

lol I am a little nutty when all is said and done, at least that's what I was told because when I was a young'un one of my true loves was Moe Howard.

Hugh Beaumont, yeah I can understand the nostalgic television connection. Did you know that Hugh is in THE SEVENTH VICTIM? The weak link in those classic Lewton noir horror films were the good guys/girls who were portrayed rather simplistically and Beaumont worked perfectly in that area, lol.
You loved mean MOE???????? You like mean, bullying men??? LOL.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: August 16th, 2023, 4:30 pm
lol I am a little nutty when all is said and done, at least that's what I was told because when I was a young'un one of my true loves was Moe Howard.
Yep Hibi. Evidently for Bronxie it was a case of...

(...and which I find to be a bit perplexing as well, but only because I had thought Bronxie has stated in the past that she usually goes for BLOND guys?!...with OR without bangs!) ;)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: August 16th, 2023, 4:06 pm
Hibi wrote: August 16th, 2023, 10:11 am

Yes, agree about Bendix, he makes such a strong impression he blows all the other suspects out of the water so the ending is really a surprise but the reasoning behind it pretty dumb (but par for the course back in those days). Yeah, Ladd did a lot of mediocre projects after he left Paramount in the early 50s.
Will Wright was usually just a mean persnickety old goat, nasty but not usually fatal. I suppose a working actor has to take
roles, whether good or bad. But he really tailed off.
I assume you're talking about Ladd when you say a working actor has to take roles, good or bad.

Note that after Ladd's contract with Paramount expired, Ladd signed a non-exclusive, 10-year contract with Warner Bros. This called for one film per year (thus 10 films total). Since it was non-exclusive Ladd could make films for other studios (as long as doing so didn't interfere with the 1 WB film he was required to make). Ladd didn't have script approval in his WB deal, thus he had to be in the film the WB producer assigned to him or breech the contract.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I just discovered Alan Ladd within the last year or so. I'd seen his films with Veronica Lake, but other than those films I hadn't given him much thought. Then I started watching more of his films. I watched "Calcutta," "China," "Captain McCary Usa," "Appointment with Danger," and "Lucky Jordan." I am traveling for work right now and watched "Shane" but I need to rewatch it as I wasn't in my ideal movie environment (my living room). I did DVR it, so I can rewatch it when I get home (whenever that'll be). I'd never seen "Shane" before. I did watch the three Lake/Ladd films. I am considering blind buying "The Great Gatsby" from Australia's Imprint label, as I believe that all their releases are Region 0/Region Free. I bought their release of "Beware My Lovely/Jennifer" and it was region free.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Hibi wrote: August 15th, 2023, 4:23 pm Up until the ending at least. Their changing the ending works against the plot. In the book it was Bendix that was the killer and the switch at the end just isn't believable to me. This Gun for Hire is my favorite of the Ladd/Lake pairings (I haven't seen Saigon, but it's not well regarded). I don't care much for The Glass Key. Too much time spent on Brian Donlevy. Dahlia is pretty good up until the end.
Do we know why the killer was changed for the movie adaptation of The Blue Dahlia?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: August 16th, 2023, 5:45 pm
Yep Hibi. Evidently for Bronxie it was a case of...

(...and which I find to be a bit perplexing as well, but only because I had thought Bronxie has stated in the past that she usually goes for BLOND guys?!...with OR without bangs!) ;)

LMREO!!!!!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: August 17th, 2023, 6:05 am
Hibi wrote: August 15th, 2023, 4:23 pm Up until the ending at least. Their changing the ending works against the plot. In the book it was Bendix that was the killer and the switch at the end just isn't believable to me. This Gun for Hire is my favorite of the Ladd/Lake pairings (I haven't seen Saigon, but it's not well regarded). I don't care much for The Glass Key. Too much time spent on Brian Donlevy. Dahlia is pretty good up until the end.
Do we know why the killer was changed for the movie adaptation of The Blue Dahlia?

It had to do with the character being a war vet. Pressure was put on the studio to change the guilty party to someone else.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: August 15th, 2023, 10:25 pm

True, but I have a soft spot for Hugh because I first knew him as Ward Cleaver on LITB, one of my favorite TV shows
(on FETV 11 to 12 in the morning). He certainly doesn't light up the screen. For whatever reason I just wasn't in the
mood to watch TGFH on this go around. Nuts? Only your headshrinker knows for sure.

Hugh Beaumont, yeah I can understand the nostalgic television connection. Did you know that Hugh is in THE SEVENTH VICTIM? The weak link in those classic Lewton noir horror films were the good guys/girls who were portrayed rather simplistically and Beaumont worked perfectly in that area, lol.

lol Dargo knows.

Yes, I must admit I had a bizarre crush on Moe back in the Bronx. Definitely NOT for the sadistic behavior, eye pokes and the like but for......even now I cannot give you an explanation.

At that same time I was also in love with Paul Muni. It started with HUDSON'S BAY. To this day my adoration continues.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

But back to Alan Ladd. I would hire him any time. (not as a hit man)

"That's love...."
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 8:19 pm But back to Alan Ladd. I would hire him any time. (not as a hit man)

"That's love...."

"So what kind'a job did ya have in mind for me instead, Bronxie?"

(...and as if we all didn't know here) ;)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

speedracer5 wrote: August 16th, 2023, 8:36 pm I just discovered Alan Ladd within the last year or so. I'd seen his films with Veronica Lake, but other than those films I hadn't given him much thought. Then I started watching more of his films. I watched "Calcutta," "China," "Captain McCary Usa," "Appointment with Danger," and "Lucky Jordan." I am traveling for work right now and watched "Shane" but I need to rewatch it as I wasn't in my ideal movie environment (my living room). I did DVR it, so I can rewatch it when I get home (whenever that'll be). I'd never seen "Shane" before.
SHANE is a wonderful movie, good for you!
speedracer5 wrote: August 16th, 2023, 8:36 pm I did watch the three Lake/Ladd films. I am considering blind buying "The Great Gatsby" from Australia's Imprint label, as I believe that all their releases are Region 0/Region Free. I bought their release of "Beware My Lovely/Jennifer" and it was region free.
THE GREAT GATSBY is a wonderful novel, maybe my favorite, but in three efforts I'm aware of, it's not been made into a film that is nearly as good, or even very interesting.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Image :yahoo: lol
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 8:15 pm

lol Dargo knows.

Yes, I must admit I had a bizarre crush on Moe back in the Bronx. Definitely NOT for the sadistic behavior, eye pokes and the like but for......even now I cannot give you an explanation.

At that same time I was also in love with Paul Muni. It started with HUDSON'S BAY. To this day my adoration continues.

It must've been the hair! :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 17th, 2023, 10:48 pm Image :yahoo: lol
HOT!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 8:19 pm But back to Alan Ladd. I would hire him any time. (not as a hit man)

"That's love...."

More like LUST! Yeah, I would've too! (at least in his prime before his drinking altered his looks)