Alan Ladd

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: Alan Ladd

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:01 pm And I think Joan Blondell who was briefly married to Powell said essentially the same thing about him -- boring, precise, workaholic, and not exactly fireworks in the romance department. I even remember (I swear!) something to the effect that he was a stickler for time and even wound his watch before lovemaking, plus wearing socks to bed but perhaps Joan was being hyperbolic, lol. She also had some unkind things to say about June ("husband snatcher" or words to that effect)
LOL. Yeah, Joan wrote a thinly veiled "novel" called Center Door Fancy (not sure if that's the exact title) about her life and the June character did not come off well in the book. Joan got her revenge! (I've never read it though, probably out of print). June mentioned it in her book and said it was unfair and not accurate (well of course, she'd say that!)

Powell sounds like a total bore! Sheesh. Talk about Joan Crawford! (she had lovemaking with Philip Terry on her "schedule".
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Here it is!

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:08 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:01 pm And I think Joan Blondell who was briefly married to Powell said essentially the same thing about him -- boring, precise, workaholic, and not exactly fireworks in the romance department. I even remember (I swear!) something to the effect that he was a stickler for time and even wound his watch before lovemaking, plus wearing socks to bed but perhaps Joan was being hyperbolic, lol. She also had some unkind things to say about June ("husband snatcher" or words to that effect)
LOL. Yeah, Joan wrote a thinly veiled "novel" called Center Door Fancy (not sure if that's the exact title) about her life and the June character did not come off well in the book. Joan got her revenge! (I've never read it though, probably out of print). June mentioned it in her book and said it was unfair and not accurate (well of course, she'd say that!)

Powell sounds like a total bore! Sheesh. Talk about Joan Crawford! (she had lovemaking with Philip Terry on her "schedule".

Oh yeah, I did hear about that book...I think Joan also trashes Liz (re: Mike Todd) but can't be sure.

I know Crawford was a control freak but didn't realize it also pertained to sex, lol. However it's understandable in the case of Philip Terry. (I'm certain that with John Ireland there was no clock-watching)

But back to sweet, tormented Alan Ladd -- what a horrible, traumatic childhood! I would alternatively have wanted to mother him and....not mother him if you know what I mean.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:10 pm Here it is!

LOL I'll get my credit card right now.

NOT
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pm
Hibi wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:08 pm

Oh yeah, I did hear about that book...I think Joan also trashes Liz (re: Mike Todd) but can't be sure.

I know Crawford was a control freak but didn't realize it also pertained to sex, lol. However it's understandable in the case of Philip Terry. (I'm certain that with John Ireland there was no clock-watching)

But back to sweet, tormented Alan Ladd -- what a horrible, traumatic childhood! I would alternatively have wanted to mother him and....not mother him if you know what I mean.
LOL. I agree about John Ireland. Doubt their was a schedule! I don't know much about Ladd's upbringing. No wonder he drank. :(
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:22 pm
Hibi wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:10 pm Here it is!

LOL I'll get my credit card right now.

NOT

LOL. Obviously out of print, but the used copies are reasonable. I might order it!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Might be nice reading on a cozy winter's day with a fire going, lol.

"And then Dick kissed me for approximately 3 seconds...."
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I was reading Ladd's Wiki page. So tragic.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

re Powell was having an affair with Virginia Field -married to Paul Douglas,Douglas divorced her right away in 1948 I think,the only movie I want to see again by Allyson is the Shrike,have not seen it in decades,will watch it soon though. I do not remember if Powell was married to Joan or June during his affair with Field,Field was a great looking woman though.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

About Alan Ladd,Ihave seen all his movies except a few bit parts, he was traumatized by his height,I never believed he was more than 5'4,maybe less,when he filmed Boy on a Dolphin with Sophia Loren she is 5'7 or 5'8 he had to stand on a box and she was cracking up....surely did not help Ladd,by the way Veronica Lake was 4'11
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

I have a much more recent(I think ) hard cover book-I on Blondell,like many I own,I have not read it yet,but looks good.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I've also read that June Allyson's own children (or maybe just her daughter?) couldn't stand her to the point where they refuse to discuss her. I guess kudos to them for not putting out a Mommie Dearest-esque memoir.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

speedracer5 wrote: August 24th, 2023, 11:23 am
I've also read that June Allyson's own children (or maybe just her daughter?) couldn't stand her to the point where they refuse to discuss her. I guess kudos to them for not putting out a Mommie Dearest-esque memoir.
LOL! I hadn't heard that!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Yep, and I've heard this all came to a head after June turned down those offers to first do those Hostess Cupcakes and then those Skippy Peanut Butter commercials, but then later accepted that offer to do those Depend undergarments commercials. Apparently her daughter would come to resent becoming the butt of jokes during her entire senior year of high school.

(...well, you never heard any discord comin' out'a either the Ann Blyth or Annette Funicello households, now did ya?!)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: August 24th, 2023, 6:08 pm
Yep, and I've heard this all came to a head after June turned down those offers to first do those Hostess Cupcakes and then those Skippy Peanut Butter commercials, but then later accepted that offer to do those Depend undergarments commercials. Apparently her daughter would come to resent becoming the butt of jokes during her entire senior year of high school.

(...well, you never heard any discord comin' out'a either the Ann Blyth or Annette Funicello households, now did ya?!)
I guess it all depends on the scope of these butt of jokes.