Good Programming tonight.

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Good Programming tonight.

Post by mrsl »

It's going to be my Glenn Close night. At 8:00 the Hallmark Channel is running Sarah, Plain and Tall, which is a terrific pioneer movie she made a few years ago with Christopher Walken. As an unattractive mail order bride she brings new life to a widower and his child. When that is over, Damages is on, so I'll be seeing Glenn for quite a long time tonight.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

"Sarah" is a good one, Mrsl.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

So, Anne, where is this show going?

At first I thought I knew but there are so many twists and turns.

Perhaps Fisk and Gregory had an affair and Fisk bought him the shares of Frobisher stock and told him when to dump it?

What does Peter Reigert have to do with any of this besides being the guy who owned the condo where Gregory and Katie stayed?

Ellen finally wised up and realized that Patty and Tom were not to be trusted but why are they framing her for murder? What does she know about their case against Frobisher that is so bad they are deliberately doing this and was it planned all along?

This show is must see tv for me right now!

Have also spent the summer getting caught up on Jericho. Down to the final two eppys this Friday and Saturday.

And Heroes. Wish I had not screwed up my Tivo preferences and not recorded the last five eppys (thought I was but NOT) because they sound like pivotal eppys.

Grr......

Oh well, Damages almost makes up for it.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

POOR LYNN!!!!!

Patty never does anything without complete planning, so Ellen must know something, but she may not even know she knows it. I have no idea why they think they can put anything over on Patty, why even try? the woman has eyes and ears around every corner!!!

I can't figure Peter Riegert at all.

Yes, I'm quite sure Fisk and Gregory had something going - it may not have been a gay affair, but they do have SOME kind of history.

I'm with you on the Jericho thing. I finally get all caught up and now have only two new episodes to go., then it's wait until next year again!!!

Get some sleep, and quit trying to second guess TV writers!!! :roll:

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Do you suppose Gregory and Fisk are related? Perhaps father and son?

I'm glad Ellen finally wised up and realized that she was better off with Nye than with Tate Donovan as her lawyer.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

benwhowell

Save the cheerleader...

Post by benwhowell »

"Heroes" is a fun show. I love the "comic book" style. I did not watch it at first, but I finally gave in to all the hype. It seems like various cast members made appearances on The Today Show every day. Of course, the couple of episodes I watched left me totally confused...so I decided to wait for the DVD release. Well, it was released recently and I planned on buying it on one of my Target sprees...until I saw the $50 price tag. I'll just wait for it to drop to $19.99. (I hope that happens before season 2 starts.)
I read the fall TV preview issues of TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly this week and, sad to say, there is not one "new" show that sounds the least bit interesting to me. Thank goodness for TCM...and HGTV. They never fail me.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

As Heros falls into the scifi genre, I of course watch it.

And bottom line - it's a great show. But one that really needs to be watched in order. Season 2 starts September 24, so if you want to get caught up, now is the time. Not sure how much of season 1 you'll have needed to see to understand season 2...but no doubt season 2 will 'spoil' season 1 for you, which will make it alot less fun to watch later.

The ending to season 1 absolutely REQUIRES the beginning of season 2 to spoil the ending of season 1 as it was sort of a cliff-hanger for some central characters.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Beda,

Well, I finally realized where I could find a blow by blow description of the four episodes of Heroes I missed. I saw all the episodes beginning with the Homecoming-Save the Cheerleader through Parasite. But my TIVO did not record the final five eppys of the season and the season finale reruns on Monday evening. TelevisionWithoutPity solved my dilemma by having great lengthy recaps of each eppy. I am very much looking forward to Monday's finale.

Anne,

Tonight's eppy of Jericho was quite good. I must have missed an eppy a few weeks back. What happened to Jake's old girlfriend's (the blonde girl) beau. I saw the eppy where he returned with the refugees but now he appears to be missing in action. Did he get killed?

Also, didn't Heather get injured in the escape from New Bern last week and Jake and the guys went back for her. I remember Johnston throwing her over his shoulder and all of them walking towards Jericho. Did I dream that?

Also, the season finale reruns tomorrow night at 8:00 (perhaps 7:00 CST) instead of next Friday. Don't want to miss it.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

I'm not sure, but I think I missed a show last week, I don't know if one was on last Saturday night like tomorrow or what, but when it started tonight, I felt like I had missed something. Yes I remember Heather getting hurt, and Johnston hoisting her up, but my failing is falling asleep for 10 minutes every now and then while I'm sitting there. My insomnia not only robs me of sleep at night, it puts me to sleep at the most inopportune times occasionally. It always seems to happen at the end of a movie, or a TV show, never in the middle where I can catch up. It's hell getting old!!!!!

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

There was no episode last Saturday, if that helps.

Now that I think about it, remember when Eric was in the Med Center and they were working on a patient (and he flashed back to his wife's dying scene?) I think they were working on Heather. It's the only thing that makes sense. Though she didn't seem to be in that much medical danger. But then, maybe the bullet severed an artery or something.

I must have missed an eppy this summer though I tried hard not to. Because something happened to Blonde Girl's boyfriend because she wouldn't be hugging Jake like that and going on dangerous missions with him otherwise.

Don't forget about tomorrow night!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

It took me forever to find out what happened, but I finally did on the Jericho site. The eppy we missed was pre-empted by football. There was a way to see it on the computer, but I didn't know about it, and I never saw it, nor is it playing now on the 'view episodes' option. In the quick summary it says that Roger went off the deep end during some attack, so maybe that means he's gone off the show??? BTW her name is Emily.

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Saw the finale of Jericho tonight (I tivo'd it from Saturday). I can sure see why fans flooded CBS with cans and jars of Nuts.

Gerald McRaney again proves, in a couple of pivotal scenes why he is one of the most underappreciated actors working in television.

Edited because thanks to TWOP I just discovered that I was mixing up Heather and Maggie. Maggie is the one who escaped from New Bern with Jake, Hawkins, Eric and Mayor Dad. Heather was the one Jake was interested in the first few episodes but somewhere along the line she went missing.

Am definitely looking forward to the show coming back next spring.
Last edited by Lzcutter on September 18th, 2007, 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

PK and BenW,

After getting caught up via recaps of the missing eppy's of Heroes (thanks to TWOP), I watched the encore of the season finale. WOW!!!!

A great season finale (not as poignant as Lost's Through the Looking Glass) but enough to ensure I will be returning next Monday for Season 2!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

benwhowell

"Dude, you've got some Artz on you."

Post by benwhowell »

Lynn, I still haven't decided what to do about the whole "Heroes" situation. I hate paying $50 for season one. I suppose I could rent it, but I'm thinking spending a day with a "Heroes" marathon (to catch up) may result in severe info overload...
I'll probably wait for the price to drop...or find a used set on Amazon.com.
In the meantime, I'll be forced to tape season two...and I do it the old fashioned way-on VHS on my wood burning VCR. :wink:
Thanks for the "Lost" plug. I think that show gets better every season!
It takes you so many "places-"past, present and future!
Actually, "Heroes" does too.
I LOVE that. I would love to "live the fantasy."
Really looking forward to JJ Abrams' "Cloverfield(?)"
[youtube][/youtube]
Handsome Johnny Eck
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Ben,

I really loved Season 1 of Lost but Season 2 until they introduced Desmond was a yawner for me. Were it not for Des and Penny, I would have given up on the show.

This past season, however, reignited my enthusiasm for the show as they began to show how the many, different threads are finally coming together.

The second part of Through the Looking Glass had me in tears by the end and I wasn't a big fan of Charlie's.

Have you heard that Harold Perrineau who played Michael in Season 1 will be returning this Spring?
Lynn in Lake Balboa