MissGoddess

"Give Me Those Old-Time Westerns..."

Post by MissGoddess »

One writer out west prefers the oldies to remakes like 3:10 to Yuma:

http://tinyurl.com/2tahtk
Any other opinions?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Miss G - Thank for the link to Mr. Reed. Anyone born in 1948, as Mr. Reed states he was, has to be a fount of wisdom and intelligence and exceptionally handsome. :wink:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ken123 wrote:Miss G - Thank for the link to Mr. Reed. Anyone born in 1948, as Mr. Reed states he was, has to be a fount of wisdom and intelligence and exceptionally handsome. :wink:

I take it that stellar year also brought you into the world, Ken. A stellar year? A banner year!!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

MissGoddess wrote:
ken123 wrote:Miss G - Thank for the link to Mr. Reed. Anyone born in 1948, as Mr. Reed states he was, has to be a fount of wisdom and intelligence and exceptionally handsome. :wink:

I take it that stellar year also brought you into the world, Ken. A stellar year? A banner year!!
A 1948 baby Boomer is correct Miss G - Thank You !
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

hello, have we spoken before on the net LOL

Hi Miss G

I prefer Kurt Russell in Tombstone compared to My Darling Clementine

i've never seen Randy Scott's Last Of The Mochicans. it'll have to go some to top Daniel D Lewis and Maddie Stowe's version
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Hi Miss G

I prefer Kurt Russell in Tombstone compared to My Darling Clementine
The above is a quote fro stuart.uk. Below is my opinion.

Kurt Rusell ! OMG !
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Stuart! Yes, I seem to recall your fondness for Tombstone. :D Sigh. We'll have to do something about that, pilgrim. P.S. Don't forget to add your list of your top 15 favorite Westerns in our contest.
halcarter

Rocky Mountain

Post by halcarter »

does anyone else remember the old western "Rocky Mountain"..I think it starred E. Flynn. It was sometime in the early fifties and being about 10 years old, I really enjoyed it.

to this day I consider the line...
"the've seen our backs now let's show 'em our faces!"
the most thrilling line a kid could ever hear at the movies.

hal
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Rocky Mountain

Post by moira finnie »

halcarter wrote:does anyone else remember the old western "Rocky Mountain"..I think it starred E. Flynn. It was sometime in the early fifties and being about 10 years old, I really enjoyed it.

to this day I consider the line...
"the've seen our backs now let's show 'em our faces!"
the most thrilling line a kid could ever hear at the movies.

hal
Hal, this is one of the few Errol Flynn movies that I've never seen, though I'd love to check it out. Based on your comment and those of other viewers who praised this film on the TCMb and IMDb, it seems to be quite interesting in theme and execution of the storyline, as well as the acting of Flynn, who seems to have been quite underrated throughout most of his career. I believe that Rocky Mountain (1950) is the film set on which Patricia Wymore met Mr. Flynn, who would become her husband. Wymore describes their courtship in the excellent TCM documentary The Adventures of Errol Flynn (2005). I think I'll request Rocky Mountain (1950) on the TCM site.

Hope to catch it on there soon too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

I, too, greatly prefer the "classics".
But I also sympathize with modern filmmakers, trying to bring something worthwhile to a landscape so crowded with icons.
I mean, it's not every day you can just sit down over coffee and bang-out a praiseworthy benchmark like 1985's Lust in the Dust!
8)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I like a lot of the points Oliver and his friends make, but some are hard to accept. For instance, the comment about the original 3:10 to Yuma being a lot of talking. This was not a childs' shoot-em-up western like Gene or Roy made. This was a 'thought provoking' film, designed to offer different opinions. The unique idea of staging it in the old west was simply an experiment in movie making, I'm sure.

Klondike:

You said: "But I also sympathize with modern filmmakers, trying to bring something worthwhile to a landscape so crowded with icons." The key word here is 'icons'. Why do they feel they have to remake major hits? Don't they think if they took a small, little known gem, and enhanced it a bit, they may end up with their own icon? Why must they try to infringe on the glory that someone else has already achieved? I would much rather hear "You did a great job on that movie", than "Good copy job on that movie", wouldn't you? :wink:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************