WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Great call, Red! That's true, the man trying to get INTO jail was picked up by many writers in film and TV. It's a great switch on the tried and true plots. O. Henry was known for those.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

In a sweeter, more positive way, his stories are a little like the dark crime fiction we admire. The themes are different, but the irony is in full view. Cornell Woolrich is O. Henry on a VERY bad day!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, exactly Red, how sharp you are! Twisty, those two.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I'm a bit behind in my posting but MrC and I have recently seen the Coen brothers' new film, Inside Llewyn Davis about a folk singer trying to make it in NYC in 1961. The film stars Oscar Isaacs, John Goodman, F. Murray Abrahams, Justin Timberlake and Carey Mulligan. Timberlake and Mulligan play a folk singing couple who are part of a trio. Roger Deakins who usually shoots for the Coens' was busy making Skyfall and not available for this film but the cinematographer, Bruno Delbonnel, did a terrific job. Very evocative in capturing that era. The production design especially of the Fred Harvey Oasis Room restaurant, the Gaslight club and the Village in general was just gorgeous.

Llewyn Davis is not a likeable character and that may color the way you feel about the film. I really liked the film though not the character and MrC didn't like the film much at all because of the character.

By the way, there is a concert film currently airing on Showtime, Another Day, Another Time that features the Punch Brothers, Joan Baez, Jack White, Gillian Welch, Justin Timberlake, Marcus Mumford, Rhiannon Giddens and a number of singers singing music from this film. The concert was produced by T Bone Burnett and it is fantastic. Really recommend it.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Another film we caught was The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Ben Stiller's new film starring himself, Katharine Wiig, Sean Penn and Shirley MacLaine among others.

This is one of the best, most heart-warming, gentle films we have seen in a long time. From it's wonderfully inventive opening title sequence until the last frame, it is a joy to watch. The script is pitch perfect, Stiller's direction top notch, beautiful scenery and terrific performances all around.

Not to be missed, especially if you are looking for a film with an uplifting message but one that is not in your face or overly maudlin. Great for the whole family, too.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

feaito

Post by feaito »

Lynn, Do you think it is superior than the Danny Kaye original?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Fer,

Most definitely. It's not a remake per se but more an adaptation of the spirit and the message of the story. It's more of a stand alone story about what is possible when you stop living inside your dreams and take a chance on making them come true.

"We all have something inside us waiting to get out, and all it takes is the courage to stop dreaming and start living."

It is a wonderful film.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Nick

Post by Nick »

Just saw The Secret Garden (1949) for the first time.

*The scene where both Mary and Colin have a tantrum seriously made me deaf. :roll:
*There were too few scenes inside the secret garden. Did the budget not allow longer technicolor shots? Lol
*I wonder how a 12-year old Margaret O'Brien must've felt when she was cast in a role as a supposedly plain looking girl. :|
feaito

Post by feaito »

Lzcutter wrote:Fer,

Most definitely. It's not a remake per se but more an adaptation of the spirit and the message of the story. It's more of a stand alone story about what is possible when you stop living inside your dreams and take a chance on making them come true.

"We all have something inside us waiting to get out, and all it takes is the courage to stop dreaming and start living."

It is a wonderful film.
Thanks for your feedback. I'll be looking for it.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I watched "Hilary and Jackie" (1998).

It is a British film, based on real events, about two sisters who were both musicians. The elder, Hilary, played the flute, while the younger, Jackie, became a world-famous cellist.

I found it a gripping, fascinating film. (It wobbled toward the end. I had the feeling there were some things that were skipped over for legal reasons.) Emily Watson was outstanding as Jackie, giving a fierce performance. Rachel Griffiths was also very good as the more conventional sister.

Perhaps not an "enjoyable" movie but a very thought-provoking one that I'm glad I saw.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have several recordings by Jacqueline du Pre. I know a little of her life and, most of that trough conversations with Daniel Barenboim. I thought I'd check the film someday. I guess I should move it up.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I enjoyed seeing Suspicion and Rebecca yesterday ... and I enjoyed seeing these two movies that was part of the Joan Fontaine Day at TCM. These are excellent films and I liked the acting, direction, and suspenseful atmosphere that these Alfred Hitchcock Movies kept me glued on the set. I have been wanting to see these movies so long and I was entertained by the mastery that Hitchcock can bring. I just loved these movies ...
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

For only the second time, I watched the unusual TALES OF MANHATTAN. For a unique, well regarded movie, it's surprising how rarely this one comes into view. An anthology if you will, it's six separate stories held together by one item. A coat! The coat is made for a famous actor, played by Charles Boyer. He meets with a certain misfortune. The coat (the main character of this quirky film) is passed on to Cesar Romero. As the garment makes its way through aspiring orchestra conductor (Charles Laughton), skid row unfortunate (Edward G. Robinson), robber (J. Carrol Naish), and dirt poor country folk (Paul Robeson and Ethel Waters), their stories are told through pointed and efficient plotting.

This is not a fantastic movie. Some of the stories are more intriguing than others. But it's different, and it's direct. No time is spent on background, color and development. It's...BANG! Here we go! The actors we've come to expect greatness from do not disappoint. Mr. and Mrs. Laughton are superb, as always. Ginger Rogers, in the lightest of the stories, is fun and bubbly. And that Robinson. Holy cow! As Robinson will do, he opens his heart and simply spews drama. His sequence, due mostly to his exceptional talent, is the strongest in the collection.

TALES OF MANHATTAN was directed by Julien Duvivier, and written by quite a few people. Is this one of the greatest of movies? No. But it's fun, it's fascinating, and it makes you think. And it's six stories for the price of one!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Emily Watson is such a great actress, absolutely indefinable.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Red, sorry I stepped on your post! I love Tales of Manhattan, esp. the Robinson and Boyer stories. Love Boyer here and the ending to his story. Robinson rips me into pieces, makes me cry every time. Those two stories have a certain blackness and irony that I just love. And I am always up for a series of short stories.