WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

Wendy, when I think of the great Robinson performances, it's a shame to overlook this small, but heartfelt interpretation. I always cite SCARLET STREET, "Tender Grapes," and the infamous Barton Keyes! His work in Welles' THE STRANGER is most memorable. And is there a more chomping, chewing, snarling crime boss than in KEY LARGO? But we're talking about a truly exceptional film actor. If anything, his softer, more vulnerable characterizations are his finest portraits. I marvel at his talent and versatility.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Red, I have always been a fan of Robinson's softer, more vulnerable characters. Maybe because he was known best for the tough ones, his weaker roles came as such a surprise to me.

kingrat, I wasn't sure I wanted to see Saving Mr. Banks, since I am a big fan of the P.L. Travers books which are almost nothing like the 1964 Disney film. But your recommendation is a large notch in the film's favor.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I saw "American Hustle" (2013) directed by David O. Russell.

It left me with mixed emotions. I liked most of the parts of the movie, but they didn't add up to a satisfying whole. I could be a smart alec and say I liked the movie better when it was called "Absence of Malice" but "American Hustle" deserves more than that.

I really liked Christian Bale here. In fact, I think this is the first time I've really liked him in anything. And Amy Adams was outstanding. She set the screen on fire, and you could easily understand why men were attracted to her.

I guess my problem with the film involved Jennifer Lawrence as Bale's wife. Not that she gave a bad performance. She was first rate. The problem, to me, was that by casting Lawrence in such a role, the role had to be inflated and have a lot more screen time that took away from the main "con game" plot. The movie is 2 hours and 15 minutes long. That is too long. Worse, for large parts of the film Bale isn't around and (naturally then) he and Adams are separated. To me this diluted the narrative of the film.

Louis C. K. is very, very good as the cautious FBI agent. A wonderful supporting role, much better here than in "Blue Jasmine."

I guess my problem with "American Hustle" came down to narrative. This is a movie about con men, and there is really only one way for it to end. The viewer might be surprised at the technique of how the ending is brought about, but in "American Hustle" there was no doubt about who would get "stung." And when there is no doubt about your ending, you don't need 2 hours and 15 minutes to get there. If the film had been more focused, I would have liked it better.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

David,

I am so glad that Saving Mr. Banks was dedicated to Diane Disney Miller. She was a big supporter of the film. About a year ago, she invited Tom Hanks to the Family Museum.

He flew up on a Friday and she met him in the Museum lobby. She gave him a personal tour of all ten galleries. As the Museum was open for business, it was quite the sight to see Diane and Tom Hanks going through the galleries followed by, at a respectable distance, a crowd of fans. They were very polite and did not intrude on Diane and Tom Hanks.

They spent Friday afternoon at the Museum and Tom later appeared on David Letterman calling it "the third happiest place on earth" (after Disneyland and Disney World).

I was asked to put together a CD of audio clips of Walt's speeches from the 1950s and early 1960s so that Hanks could study Walt's voice. A mid-western accent is not an easy accent to master (Southern accents, New England accents, New York and New Jersey accents are all probably easier) and I'm not surprised that Hanks finally opted not to go for accent.

Diane and her husband, Ron, saw an early screening of the film in the summer and she was quite happy with the way the story was told.

I'm glad the Disney Studio dedicated the film to her.

It's on our list of films to see in January.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

King Rat, there is often a big difference in the reviews of critics and those of "real people." I must be going through a phase. Or just getting older. I see preview after preview. I hear about new movies. And almost none of it interests me. I've seen it all before. This is not necessarily the fault of the filmmakers. It's my own history. I've seen it all before!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm having a different experience Red Rover Red Rover. I just saw and enjoyed "THE WOLF OF WALL STREET" but before it started, they showed a spate of previews. Almost every one of the movies I wanted to see. They sort of got me excited about seeing modern movies again, and I'll be making a concerted effort to see more of today's films. I don't expect them to reinvent the wheel, but I'm looking forward to checking them out.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

When I went to the TCM Film Festival back in 2011, I took Amtrak cross-country and landed here:

I had much time to kill before going into Hollywood to check in to the Roosevelt, so I walked from Union Station into downtown Los Angeles. Saw some iconic buildings. I'm looking forward to checking out this 30-year old documentary:

"LOS ANGELES PLAYS ITSELF." ( 1972 )

You can click on the photo above to see a review about this remastered masterpiece that's playing for a very short time at NYC's IFC Center.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was thinking that there were more movies suddenly that I was interested in seeing, but it's probably the Christmas rush to put out good movies before the Oscars time limit.

That documentary looks really great, Maven! I hope you'll review it here afterwards.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Secret of Madame Blanche

My Reviews can be found in this link below:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 05#p142705
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Adventures of Mark Twain 1944 Fredric March
Masterpiece

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 86#p142786

Here's link of this wonderful film that came on that day.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

We saw INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS last night. As one who generally enjoys the Coen Brothers' films (with a couple of exceptions), and has high praise for a few of them (BLOOD SIMPLE; RAISING ARIZONA; BARTON FINK; THE BIG LEBOWSKI), my one word review upon debriefing with the other five folks I was with was: Brilliant!

A bit of a cross between BARTON FINK and A SERIOUS MAN. And, without the stylistic flourishes, the best statement of how an Artist comes to terms (or not) with the World since the last time I watched PEEPING TOM and BLOW-UP.

Great performances all around (definitely an Academy Award nomination for Oscar Isaac). And sixteen years ago I certainly didn't see Justin Timberlake to be the force he's become.

Many special moments, but, as the movie draws to a close and Llewyn leaves the stage only to be replaced by a skinny guy strumming a guitar (and a harmonica hanging from his neck) singing in a high nasal whine, I felt a profound emotion statement - sad, wistful, and joyous.

As for the other five co-attendees: two enthusiastic thumbs up; one thumbs up; and, two "hated it"s (luckily they're married to each other).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles