Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: October 1st, 2023, 7:42 pm James I would be surprised Clark would be taller than Smith,her height was a problem at Warners most the leading men were 5'7, Smith was close to 5'10 or5'11,I watched about 30 movies with Dane Clark I always noticed he was diminutive, probably 5'6, nothing higher. On the internet it says more but it was probably studio pub, he is using the same tricks they used for Alan Ladd.Even the hairdo helped him to look taller
Yes, Smith was VERY tall. I think they may have been using the Alan Ladd equalizing method!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:22 am
nakanosunplaza wrote: October 1st, 2023, 7:42 pm James I would be surprised Clark would be taller than Smith,her height was a problem at Warners most the leading men were 5'7, Smith was close to 5'10 or5'11,I watched about 30 movies with Dane Clark I always noticed he was diminutive, probably 5'6, nothing higher. On the internet it says more but it was probably studio pub, he is using the same tricks they used for Alan Ladd.Even the hairdo helped him to look taller
Yes, Smith was VERY tall. I think they may have been using the Alan Ladd equalizing method!
According to Wiki: Clark was 1.78 meters tall and Smith was 1.75 meters tall.
jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 12:26 pm
According to another bio site, Smith was 5′ 9″ (1.75 m).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 1:02 pm
Hibi wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:19 am
nakanosunplaza wrote: October 1st, 2023, 3:43 pm I'am not crazy about Dane Clark even if I have seen many of his movies. I would have liked to know if Clark was standing on a box to kiss Alexis Smith in the ending scene...but Eddie did not say anything about this alas..
I wondered about that too. Alexis Smith was almost 6 feet tall! And you could see how tall she was in long shots. Clark did not seem that tall when he was not in scenes with her. Yet with her they seemed about the same height. Something fishy going on there. I'm not crazy about Dane Clark either. He's ok. A kind of lower tier Garfield. He was good in that film with Ida Lupino. I forget the title now. But he always seems to be playing the same kind of part
Deep Valley. Yes, that's his best performance. He and Ida Lupino make a much more credible couple than he and Alexis Smith. She was hard to cast, with so many actors being shorter than she was. She conveys a kind of upper-crust finishing school attitude which is useful in some roles.

I also liked Jeffrey Lynn, in maybe his most interesting performance, though I kept wondering if one of the Lane sisters would suddenly appear. Whiplash had about everything else. A lot of films are made up out of other films, but this seemed like a Franken-noir, with parts of Out of the Past joined to parts of Body and Soul, some of Humoresque, the Eve Arden scenes from Mildred Pierce, and a random sampling of any film with S. Z. "Cuddles" Sakall. Zachary Scott got to be strong and slimy instead of weak and slimy.
Yes, thanks! The title came to me later. Oddly, she came from Hollywood High, but she did give off those vibes! A good description of the film's storylines too! LOL.
Last edited by Hibi on October 2nd, 2023, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 1:08 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 12:26 pm

According to another bio site, Smith was 5′ 9″ (1.75 m).
With heels pushing 6 feet. Have a feeling she was a bit taller than that and Clark a bit shorter. Can't go by those studio statistics........
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:07 am

Yeah, sometimes I can see both sides. Other times one person is the real nutcase. I see the debut is 2 HOURS LONG! This should be a good one! :D
Though one feels sorry for the victims, sometimes they do things that only make the situation worse.
Two hours. Maybe it was an especially long simmering feud. We'll see.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Eve Arden seems to have wandered in from some other WB film in Whiplash. Her part could've been easily edited out. She provides the link to Dane going to the nightclub to discover Smith singing there, but that's about all in the film's plot. She disappears from the film right after only to show up near the very end again.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I like Dane Clark. I think he has a very appealing face, kind of boyish; and there's a vulnerable vibe about him, along with the tough John Garfield type demeanour.
I think the film someone was wondering about, the one with Ida Lupino, was Deep Valley. I liked it, although it wasn't classically noirish.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 4:46 pm Eve Arden seems to have wandered in from some other WB film in Whiplash. Her part could've been easily edited out. She provides the link to Dane going to the nightclub to discover Smith singing there, but that's about all in the film's plot. She disappears from the film right after only to show up near the very end again.
But we might say that Eve provided that proverbial comic relief to which this story might have deemed to need? But you're right, she was not around much. Pity.
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Clark most likely wore lifts also.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jameselliot wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 9:08 pm

LOL!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 7:01 pm
Hibi wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 4:46 pm Eve Arden seems to have wandered in from some other WB film in Whiplash. Her part could've been easily edited out. She provides the link to Dane going to the nightclub to discover Smith singing there, but that's about all in the film's plot. She disappears from the film right after only to show up near the very end again.
But we might say that Eve provided that proverbial comic relief to which this story might have deemed to need? But you're right, she was not around much. Pity.
One could also argue she threw off the noir mood of the film, though I did enjoy her brief scenes. Arden knew how to deliver those type of lines in her sleep!
jamesjazzguitar

jameselliot wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 9:08 pm
Clark likely wore lifts when he went to his doctor which is why he is listed as just over 5.8 instead of his actual height of 5.6!