I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: January 10th, 2024, 12:08 pm you know,

i'm torn.

i have never seen CROSSING DELANCEY and, while all your remarks have me wanting to...I also kinda don't wanna spoil what fun it is to view this photo without knowing just what on earth the context of the scene is.

not a clue.

If I had to caption it, it would be: "MISS HAVISHAM TO ANITA BRYANT: "**** YOU AND **** YOUR ORANGES, NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF THE EAST VILLAGE!"[/b]

I know this was a couple months ago, but I have to bump this after my ranking films thread, because I felt that having covered a year from most of the other decades, I had to include the 21st century for completion's sake, but 2008 reminded me of the sheer torture of sitting through Milk due to the script's constant use of the name Anita Bryant. I swear they said her name at least 60 times in the film. It was audio torture! Couldn't they have only said her name once instead of constantly?

As for this scene though in Crossing Delancey, the woman in question is a street entertainer who wanders into a hot dog shop, and starts singing "Some Enchanted Evening"
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

One of my favorite movie moments:

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dear old Paula. I passed her apartment building this evening. One of the sweetest and kindest people I've ever known.

kingrat

Post by kingrat »

We just finished watching Masters of the Air. This Apple TV series in nine episodes follows the real-life story of American airmen who flew missions out of England in WWII and watched most of the men in their units be killed or taken prisoner. Doesn't develop characters that much, but is heavy on atmosphere and gives a clear sense of what this felt like. The Tuskegee airmen enter the story in episode eight. My husband loved the graphics. At the end of episode nine, we learn what happened to a few survivors after the war. If you're interested in WWII, you might want to check this one out. This is like Twelve O'Clock High from the enlisted men's point of view.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: March 14th, 2024, 5:41 pm
Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2024, 4:37 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:48 pm Image

I was charged up by the candor and violence of the 1st two episodes. Wonderful performances. The Black and White Ball was a letdown despite a great idea, and after that it was beating a dead horse. D A E D. Dade. :D
Agree. It quickly went downhill after a promising start...
Lending credence to your previous argument that it should've been a 2 parter. Just not enough material to stretch to 8+ hours. I don't know what the running time was in total, since I think every episode ran well over an hour with the ads (which I skipped over).

Bless whoever invented the DVR...
LOL 8 PLUS hours of Truman Capote. Too much! (I figure with commercials it was an hr per episode)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 12:52 pm The end of FEUD: Capote Vs The Swans. What was the point of all that?
Do you mean the actual ending of the last episode where the ghosts of the Swans watch Truman Capote's ashes being auctioned in 2016 and then leave?

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a comment on the end of New York high society.

It was a nice surrealistic touch, the kind of thing you often see in great stage plays but rarely in mainstream television where audiences usually seem to want to something "real" ("real" is in quotations because they don't actually want real but the fake formulaic "real" they've grown accustomed to getting.)

Notwithstanding that Lee Radziwill was still alive in 2016, it was a brilliant ending to a brilliantly written episode, an amazing blend of reality and fantasy/hallucination that is not often seen on mainstream television.
The author, playwright Jon Robin Baitz, played "Herbert Moss" (Capote's fictionalized version of Herbert Ross) in the episode.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

We just watched the documentary The Bloody Hundredth, which accompanies the mini-series Masters of the Air. This superb documentary includes interviews with survivors of the 100th, including some of those portrayed in Masters of the Air. If you have any interest in WWII, highly recommended.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 17th, 2024, 6:55 pm ...Do you mean the actual ending of the last episode where the ghosts of the Swans watch Truman Capote's ashes being auctioned in 2016 and then leave?

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a comment on the end of New York high society...
No.
The writing was uneven, too many curse words, and an overindulgence of fictional fantasy sequences.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Allhallowsday wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:31 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: March 17th, 2024, 6:55 pm ...Do you mean the actual ending of the last episode where the ghosts of the Swans watch Truman Capote's ashes being auctioned in 2016 and then leave?

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a comment on the end of New York high society...
No.
The writing was uneven, too many curse words, and an overindulgence of fictional fantasy sequences.
The writing was fantastic, much better than what you usually see on mainstream television.
Most bio-pics are rather tepid fare.
Jon Robin Baitz's dialogue and use of fantasy was what made the series worth watching.
I didn't need to see a dramatization of the literal facts of Truman Capote's life.
People familiar with Capote's story already knows the details of his life.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 18th, 2024, 1:04 pm ...The writing was fantastic, much better than what you usually see on mainstream television.
Most bio-pics are rather tepid fare.
Jon Robin Baitz's dialogue and use of fantasy was what made the series worth watching.
I didn't need to see a dramatization of the literal facts of Truman Capote's life.
People familiar with Capote's story already knows the details of his life.
I know who TRUMAN CAPOTE was.
I think the writing was often interesting, even stunning. I still believe the foul language is 21st century. One swan using the "f" word once would have carried more weight. I think "high society" sure ended half a century ago before people started the vulgar vernacular routinely. If the fantasy sequences made it worth watching I shrug. There was too much. Plus the "timeline" was puzzling or at least expedient. I do think performances were strong.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I apologize that I have not been posting much, been busy (a rarity) with actual work.

I watched THE WICKER MAN (1973) for the umpteenth time this weekend, it's gotten to be a spring ritual for me. I wrote about my love for it extensively on ye olde boards and I dunno if there is much new I can say...except that I never stop LOVING the scene where OFFICER HOWIE (a devout Christian) berates LORD SUMMERISLE for allowing the locals on his secluded island in THE HEBRIDES to FULLY INDULGE in WILD SUPERSTITIONS and LUDICROUS, "IMMORAL" PAGAN BELIEFS-

to wit, LORD SUMMERISLE responds, "Oh, not like your Jesus- who was born of a VIRGIN who was, in turn, IMPREGNATED BY A GHOST?"

Say what you will about his curious taste in HAIRPIECES, but HIS LORDSHIP can

1. WERK a CRAVAT
and
2. Read a B**** into stunned silence.

Last edited by Lorna on March 19th, 2024, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

ALSO j'adore THIS epic late 60's TINA TURNER "PROUD MARY" WIG and ambitious turtleneck/caftan combo he werks in the penultimate scene, which (for me) always gives CHER, HAD SHE NEVER UNDERGONE EXTENSIVE PLASTIC SURGERY:

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: March 19th, 2024, 1:25 pm I apologize that I have not been posting much, been busy (a rarity) with actual work.

I watched THE WICKER MAN (1973) for the umpteenth time this weekend, it's gotten to be a spring ritual for me. I wrote about my love for it extensively on ye olde boards and I dunno if there is much new I can say...except that I never stop LOVING the scene where OFFICER HOWIE (a devout Christian) berates LORD SUMMERISLE for allowing the locals on his secluded island in THE HEBRIDES to FULLY INDULGE in WILD SUPERSTITIONS and LUDICROUS, "IMMORAL" PAGAN BELIEFS-

to wit, LORD SUMMERISLE responds, "Oh, not like your Jesus- who was born of a VIRGIN who was, in turn, IMPREGNATED BY A GHOST?"

Say what you will about his curious taste in HAIRPIECES, but HIS LORDSHIP can

1. WERK a CRAVAT
and
2. Read a B**** into stunned silence.

Reminds me of Irene Ryan's hairdo...

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

ICE CASTLES (1978)
directed by Donald Wrye
screenplay by Donald Wrye and Gary L. Baim
story by Gary L. Baim

I re-watched this one in January when it was on TCM as part of a line-up of ice-skating movies and just got around to composing my thoughts about the movie. It tells the story of a teen figure skating prodigy from a small town in the upper Midwest who is thrust into the national spotlight and is poised to become a world champion. Thrown into the mix, there’s a romantic triangle and a life-altering tragedy for the heroine to overcome. You’re right if you think this sounds like a weepy 1940s melodrama --- which means ICE CASTLES is schmaltzy, manipulative and a damn entertaining movie!

The young ice skater is played by Lynn-Holly Johnson, in her movie debut. Before being cast in ICE CASTLES, she was a performer in the traveling Ice Capades and before that competed nationally at the novice level. So basically, she’s a skater who can act, but her lack of experience works to her advantage in her portrayal of the innocent Lexie, and she doesn’t stand out as amateurish in her scenes with her more seasoned co-stars, including one two-time Tony winner. Her reactions in one scene in particular --- where Lexie is reprimanded for showing off with a triple axel jump--- seems particularly authentic, and I wondered if director Donald Wrye had used an approach like the one that William Wyler used with Audrey Hepburn to get the performance that he wanted for her “crying scene” in ROMAN HOLIDAY.

Sixteen-year-old Lexie is a natural talent with little formal training and has never ventured far from her hometown of Waverly, Iowa. Her widowed father (played by Tom Skerritt) wants to keep her “safe” in their small town (she’s become an emotional substitute for his dead wife), but Lexie is aware of her abilities and longs to shine in a larger sphere. The only coaching she’s gotten has been from a local woman named Beulah who won the regionals 25 years ago and who owns the local ice-skating rink/ bowling alley combo. (Do such things really exist???) Beulah is played by acclaimed stage actor Colleen Dewhurst, known for her interpretations of Eugene O’Neill’s characters and for her work as Marilla Cuthbert in the ANNE OF GREEN GABLES television movies. In her stage work, she was praised for her ability to make dialogue sound as if it was being spoken by her characters for the first time. On film, her expressive face conveys an array of emotions with the impression that the shifts are happening from some real place in real-time. Beulah is described as a town kook who wears funny clothes, but nothing that she wears looks odd to me. Maybe the way she dressed was unusual for a woman in small-town America in the late 1970s?

Against her father’s wishes, Lexie enters the regionals and heads to Cedar Rapids with Beulah’s blue old-school skating dress taken in a few sizes. In the dressing room, the other girls make fun of her old-fashioned outfit with the white collar and her long hair (they all sport Dorothy Hamill dos). In the competition she doesn’t even place (the politics of competitive skating are expounded on later in the movie), but her routine wows the audience, who protest the low scores the judges give her with boos and encourage her to return to the rink where they throw flowers to her in appreciation as the “winners” names are announced. She also catches the eye of a professional coach, who’s blown away by her talent and tracks her down to her hometown. The coach is played by Jennifer Warren, whose only work I’ve seen is her performance in ICE CASTLES. Her voice sounds so much like Jane Fonda’s that I wondered if they went to the same finishing school. The coach thinks Lexie can go all the way to the Big “O” (the Olympics) despite concerns that at 16 she’s much older than the optimal time to begin serious training. So, Lexie is whisked off to the Broadmoor World Arena where the younger girls make cracks about her being “over the hill.” Mostly though, they’re jealous of her talent and of all the attention she’s getting. Before long, she is the subject of a video sports essay chronicling her training, is performing on a Christmas TV special and is on the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine. Her sudden rise drives a wedge between her and her hometown boyfriend, whose attempt at establishing a hockey career has been much less successful.

Each time that I’ve watched the movie I expect the TV journalist character played by David Huffman to turn out to be a jerk. However, in fact, he does love Lexie. It is she who shuts him down when he tries to stay connected. Their relationship, of course, is problematic given that she is only 16 and he is an adult. While it’s never explicitly shown that they are sexually intimate, it is certainly strongly implied. Also, it is suggested that his past relationship with the Jennifer Warren character was much more than just a friendship. So, while the creepy element is somewhat mitigated by his genuine tenderness toward Lexie and by the fact that he is good-looking, we’re technically talking about statutory rape!

And then, there is that dreamboat phenomenon that is Robby Benson as Lexie’s hometown boyfriend. I read somewhere once that anyone who came of age in the late 1970s and early 1980s that didn’t have some kind of a crush on Robby Benson was an unquestionably straight male. I can believe that. Those eyes! That hair! That smile! That voice that defies description! That sweet vulnerability! He’s like a manga character come to life. From his first appearance in the opening credits driving into town, it’s clear why he received top billing. Could Lynn-Holly Johnson have imagined that she would get to make out with Robby Benson in her movie debut? His ”We forgot about the flowers” line at the end of the movie! SIGH . . .

The winter wonderland of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area (standing in for Waverly, Iowa) is beautifully captured by cinematographer Bill Butler, who died last year just two days before what would have been his 102nd birthday. Butler is probably best remembered for his work on JAWS and for completing the cinematography for ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’s NEST after the dismissal of Haskell Wexler. For the skating sequences in ICE CASTLES, Bill Butler uses long takes and fluid camera movement to present the reality of Lynn-Holly Johnson’s performance. Because he is filming a real skater, Butler’s camera can move from long shot to medium shot to close-up on Johnson’s skates in a single take. He also uses 360-degree tracking shots with Johnson also in motion, a technique that requires great coordination to pull off.

Marvin Hamlisch’s score is an eclectic mix of traditional orchestrations and disco-infused melodies (this was 1978 after all). The music used for the Christmas special has a part that sounds so much like a part from “Love Pains” that I expected to hear Yvonne Elliman singing “Midnight . . .” immediately following. Interestingly, Ms. Elliman’s recording of “Love Pains” for RSO was made the year after the release of ICE CASTLES. The piece of music that recurs throughout the movie (so much so that it might even be a motif) is the melody of “Through the Eyes of Love,” the Best Original Song Oscar-nominee with lyrics by Carole Bayer Sager, which is sung by Melissa Manchester during the opening credits. The Oscar winner that year was the now mostly forgotten “It Goes Like It Goes” from NORMA RAE. From today’s perspective the real head-scratcher is that the award wasn’t given to “Rainbow Connection” from THE MUPPET MOVIE. It’s not clear (at least not to me), if the “Through The Eyes Of Love” melody is meant to be the music played during Lexie’s skating routines or if it’s just the score heard by the movie’s audience. The arrangement played during her final performance includes an amazing trumpet solo like the one heard in Bill Conti’s opening theme for the TV series DYNASTY.

Oh yeah, there’s that “eye-conic” scene with Robby Benson on the phone wearing nothing but briefs . . .

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Last night a 1979 episode of QUINCY M.E. with guest star NEVILLE BRAND... I think KEVIN KLINE makes an appearance early in his career with no lines in a "video" of a crazed PCP patient...! WILLIAM DANIELS also appears as a self-appointed advocate for causes more leftist than QUINCY himself!