John Wayne's 70s movies

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

John Wayne's 70s movies

Post by stuart.uk »

maybe Duke's films of this era are dismissed, but that's unfortunate, because some of them are really good.

Rio Lobo certainly isn't Rio Bravo, nor El Derado, but it's still an entertaining Hawks/Wayne western

The Train Robbers. never having seen it i can't judge, but it does have Anne Margaret and Miss. Gs favourite Rod Taylor

Big Jake is possibly Duke's best film as a director as he had sack George Sherman during filming. it's action packed, but the ending is a little weird, because Duke seems unconcerned about the death of his Indian pal Bruce Cabot as he and his two sons rescue his grandson from Richard Boone and his gang

Cahill United States Marshal is similiar in plot to Big Jake, but it may be the better movie. at least this time he was concerned about the death of his Indian buddy Neville Brand. it was also interesting to see Marie Windsor as a potential bride, instead of the nasty ex wife of Duke in Trouble Along The Way

Mqu sees Duke play a tough no-nonsense cop in Harry Gallagan mould. Colleen Dehurst impresses as middle-aged, but still attractive barmaid

Branigan also sees him as tough no-nonsense cop, but this time he's working along side Scotland Yard in what's his only British movie. worth a look to catch Richard Attenbourgh, Judy Geeson (as Jill Thatcher. was that a warning of the Thatcher yrs to come LOL) and John Stride

Rooster Cogburn, a sequal to True Grit and in effect a remake of The African Queen with Kate Hepburn

The Shootist was Duke's best film of the decade, as a gunfighter dying of cancer. though there was no way of knowing at the time it was also the last great film James Stewart and the still beautiful Lauren Bacall were involved with.
Last edited by stuart.uk on March 6th, 2008, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Some of his films from this period are ok. "The Shootist" is by far the best. "Big Jake" is pretty good. I've never really had the problem you did about Cabot's death in the film. I figured he didn't have time to worry about it. Boone is his wonderfully slimy bad guy.

I never thoughtmuch of "TheTrain Robbers" (as it is known here.) It's not run all that often. "Cahill" suffers from over exposure IMO.

"Brannigan" is scheduled to run on TCM in April. "McQ" has a good chase scene at the end but it's a bit uncomfortable watching Wayne get in and out of that Firebird. It wasn't built for men his size.

The biggest disappointment is "Rooster Cogburn." They let a meddling story get in the way of some pretty good dialogue. When Wayne and Hepburn are on it is generally pretty good. The climax is a let-down.

One you missed which is fun is "The Cowboys." Bruce Dern plays a rather evil guy. It's among the few films where Duke meets an unfortunate end. Good cast with pleasant enough twist on boys becoming men theme. Not really for kids though.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Howdy, Stuey!

The Shootist I think is the best but oh, it's too painful for me to watch often. I just can't take it.

True Grit and Rooster Cogburn follow as favorites. They each have wonderful humor and Duke is so adorable with Kate, and vice-versa.

I agree with Chris about Duke and the Firebird. I didn't like that at all. It was also a bit demeaning---it seemed to me like he was playing a man gonig through "the crisis", you know, when they buy those cars at that age...that seemed beneath the John Wayne image somehow. Judy Geeson is a cutie pie.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miss. G

my favourite Judy Geeson film is The Eagle Has Landed. though shot by Nazi sleeper Jean Marsh, she's able to drive of in her car and warn her fellow villagers about Micheal Caine's German commando unit are to try and assisinate Churchill (At least that's what i think happened. i'm not sure about facts as it's a while since i saw the film) on 1970s tv she scored a big hit with Danger UXB, where she plays the girl friend of bomb disposal expert Anthony Andrews

it's a wonder she never became a star, she reminded me of Julie Christie. Judy's sister Sally was also in the 70s well known, playing Sid James' daughter in Bless This House, both on tv and in it's feature film spin off (Diana Coupland played her mother. she dubbed Ursula's singing voice in Dr. No)

PS any luck with Tiger Bay
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Chris

i wonder if part of Rooster Cogburn's failings was the fact Wayne's health wasn't so good. i think he may have had open heart surgery around that time and possibly would be able to rune around in the way he even managed to do in McQ and Branigan
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Stuart,

Judy also reminds me of Goldie Hawn in her personality. Bubbly.

I haven't had time to look into ordering Tiger Bay (just got back from a trip) but I've saved your email. :)