Roger Moore and Richard Greene

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Roger Moore and Richard Greene

Post by stuart.uk »

with Miss G writing about a John Ford film starring Richard Greene, i was reminded about the similarities between Greene and Roger Moore

Richard went to Hollywood and Roger in the 50s, neither as far as i can tell much of a cv, though Roger was married at the time to international cabaret Dorothy Squires.

Neither Roger or Richard set the heather on fire. Greene did films like Stanley And Livingstone and The Hounds Of The Baskervilles. he was outstanding in both, but in SAL he was up against Tracy and Hardwycke, then in THOTB, most of the plaudits went to Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce as Holmes and Watson. Roger's best film of his early period was Diane, a period drama with Lana Turner in her last MGM film. it was good, but did nothing really to show Roger's true potential.

around the same time both returned home, Greene in middle age and a still young Roger. both went on to have success in medieval kids dramas The Adventures Of Robin Hood (Greene) and Ivanhoe (Moore). TAORH was the pk of Richard Greene's success whereas Ivanhoe was a launching pad for Roger Moore.

Roger returned to Hollywood, did tv series Maverick and a decent film The Sins Of Rachel Cade with Angie Dickenson. so The Saint followed and the rest is history. My name is Bond, James Bond
klondike

Post by klondike »

A quick "aside" about "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (which was immensely popular in North Central New England when I was growing up); as an old-school longbowman myself, I tend to look quite skeptically at all on-film Robin Hoods, primarily judging them by their archery form while "shooting" (suspension of disbelief is what it's all about, especially in "high adventure", right?); and having compared Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., Errol Flynn, Harold Warrender, Richard Greene, Sean Connery, Dick Gautier, Michael Praed, Patrick Bergen, Jason Connery, Kevin Costner, Cary Elwes & Jonas Armstrong . . I found the only one whom I could really believe could actually shoot a classic English longbow with any reliable degree of accuracy . . was Richard Greene.
Sean & Errol tie for a distant second place (Flynn doubtless having benefitted from being coached by then-renowned champion archer Howard Hill), and absolutely the worst looking so-called archer of the bunch is young Mr. Armstrong, who even now fills the title role in the currently broadcast "Robin Hood", an English series I found so abominably bad that it is truly hard to believe that it's a BBC import!
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

klondike

I'm reminded of Richard Greene making a guest appearance on UK game show The Golden Shot, hosted at the time i think by Bob Monkhouse. it was a show where members of the public got a chance to win prizes by using their skills with a long bow, though at first they had to qualify by giving instructions by phone to a blind bowman.

there was a celebrity bit on the show where a celeb had so many seconds to hit the target. well when Richard Green appeared he shot in less that a second and hit the bull
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Stuart laddy, not to derail your topic, but have you seen the John Ford silent, Hangman's House? I think you would enjoy it. I thought of you because of the heroine, June Collyer: she spends most of the movie dressed in jodphurs and looks very sweet in them. :wink:

It's a great movie, besides.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

no my bonnie lass, i've not seen it, but is it Duke Wayne's first movie. it sounds familiar
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yes, you can clearly see him! And he looks so cute!!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Now it's my turn to go off=topic Miss G

i tried to tell you in another post, but if you haven't seen that John Thaw show yet, you might be interested to know that the middle-aged blonde who slaps him in the face is Diana Dors, once thought of as the British Marilyn and the comic duo featured are my favorites Morcambe and Wise, who appeared in a special episode. also interviewd is Garfield Morgan, who played Reagen and Carter's boss. he didn't feature in the films, which i though was a disgrace, because of his outstanding performances in the series. the sexy Lynda Bellingham, who was in The Sweeney movie is interviewed
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Diana Dors? Oh yes, I do know who she is/was. I'll check it out!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I think I'd consider that Roger Moore "survived" his dumb stint on MAVERICK TV. It was a series on steep decline because of the increasing absence of favorite James Garner, and trying to insert IVANHOE as their Brit Cousin was my introduction to TV Desperation: "We've got to find ANYONE that will hold an audience, any audience - even 5-to-10 year olds!"

Well, it was an abysmal experiment on the show's part.

I thought Roger Moore's 1962-1969 THE SAINT was far more important to his American success than both Ivanhoe and the dismal (and fortunately few) Maverick episodes. I remember avoiding that show for several seasons just because of the association with the Maverick debacle.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Moore himself was forced into making Maverick, believing it to be on its last legs after Garner left
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ollie wrote:I think I'd consider that Roger Moore "survived" his dumb stint on MAVERICK TV. It was a series on steep decline because of the increasing absence of favorite James Garner, and trying to insert IVANHOE as their Brit Cousin was my introduction to TV Desperation: "We've got to find ANYONE that will hold an audience, any audience - even 5-to-10 year olds!"

Well, it was an abysmal experiment on the show's part.

I thought Roger Moore's 1962-1969 THE SAINT was far more important to his American success than both Ivanhoe and the dismal (and fortunately few) Maverick episodes. I remember avoiding that show for several seasons just because of the association with the Maverick debacle.
Know how ya feel, Ollie, but I think the biggest loser involved with the Great Garner Substitution Plot might just have been up n' coming young Robert Colbert, cast as kid brother "Brent Maverick", Warner Bros.' first fill-in choice, who, after an energetic varsity-grade effort, got yanked after just 2 episodes.
Years later (during his "Time Tunnel" days, I think), Colbert said of that early assignment: "Dress alike, look alike, sound alike - named alike - oh yeah, I was different than Garner alright: one letter different, and a whole lot cheaper!"
:?