War, Ken Burns Documentary

Chit-chat, current events
inglis

War, Ken Burns Documentary

Post by inglis »

I just started watching this a few weeks ago and although it is in7parts and for me with kids is a time commitment, I have been swallowed up by it . I have seen lots of war documentarys in the past ,but this really does put more of a human face on it and how it effects the lives of all these people from different communitys. Mr Burns has taken several families and focused on their lives and has pulled it all together with some incrediable footage and interviews that have not been seen before.I am not much of a writer when it comes to giving a review on something but I do know that how this is presented and the interviews with the family members still living is amazing .The little antidotes given from the families prospective of what it was like living in America during the War is well worth it to see. I also liked Mr Burns documentaries on Baseball and Jazz Music. Has anybody else seen this or his other work ?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw a good deal of it. (I miss David McCullough's narration. See "The Civil War.) By and large I enjoyed what I saw. It is an interesting take on things as we've had hundreds of documentaries by soldiers. IT was a chance to see how the those left behind dealt with it. You still have to have the war in there to account for context and even a direct relationship.

I've seen his "Brooklyn Bridge" film and quite enjoyed that. I taped "The Civil War" when it was on years ago and I guess that set a new standard for long form documentaries. "The War" is not that different as far as presentation is concerned.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I was hooked on quality WWII documentaries when I was lucky enough to see the superb Victory at Sea documentary series that was made in 1952. My local PBS station used to play it on Friday evenings and I was spellbound. I rewatched the entire series a couple years back and was still amazed. So far I have watched the first two installments of The War and have enjoyed it, but have not become addicted quite yet. I have the other chapters recorded and will get around to them. Watching the first two chapters did inspire me to watch Flags of Our Fathers last weekend however.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
inglis

Post by inglis »

movieman1957 wrote:I saw a good deal of it. (I miss David McCullough's narration. See "The Civil War.) By and large I enjoyed what I saw. It is an interesting take on things as we've had hundreds of documentaries by soldiers. IT was a chance to see how the those left behind dealt with it. You still have to have the war in there to account for context and even a direct relationship.

I've seen his "Brooklyn Bridge" film and quite enjoyed that. I taped "The Civil War" when it was on years ago and I guess that set a new standard for long form documentaries. "The War" is not that different as far as presentation is concerned.
Hi Chris ! Is that thee David McCullough form the t.v seriesMan From U.N.C.L.E if not do I feel stupid :?