Barbed Wire (1927)

feaito

Barbed Wire (1927)

Post by feaito »

Today I saw a real discovery, the first Pola Negri film I have ever watched in my life: "Barbed Wire" (1927). What a great film! It stars Pola as a French farm girl during WWI. It begins in 1914 when her brother (beautifully played by Swedish actor Einar Hanson) is enlisted. Afterwards, we see her father's farm being turned into a Prison Camp for German soldiers. Clive Brook, whom I had only seen in the talkies "Shanghai Express" (1932) and "East Lynne" (1931) plays very sensitively, a German soldier who falls for Pola during his stay at the Prison Camp. It was so impressive for me to watch that tough, stern face, emote so honestly and convey all the feelings of a man who's suffering the hardships and ravages of War... On the other hand, Pola accomplished a very fine performance too. The ending is so touching and moving that I honestly shed some tears. The film was skillfully directed by Rowland V. Lee, who was also responsible for the haunting "Zoo in Budapest" (1933).

Has anyone else seen this magnificent Silent?
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

feaito,

:) Yes, BARBED WIRE (1927), is an excellent film, and is vastly underrated! A grossly overlooked Silent Classic, that definitely merits it's own DVD release! Though, the prospects for this happening appear quite dim, at the moment. Paramount hasn't even officially released WINGS (1927), on DVD yet. This despite the fact it won the Academy Award as Best Picture though that may finally be forth-coming?

:oops: I happen to find Pola Negri, extremely attractive! At least in this film! Thus far I must admit, I have seen precious few of her movies! I would relish seeing what ever else is available! I shared this title with some friends a short time ago, and they were blown away by this great dramatic tale!

Perhaps the picture would enjoy more notoriety, with a bigger name leading man in the cast? While CLIVE BROOK gives a strong performance, He seemed to be a relatively odd choice for the part? Appearance wise, He’s a bit older than Pola, and is not overly attractive. Although, in His defense, He is certainly better looking than Percy Marmount , who was a huge mis-cast opposite luminous Clara Bow, in MANTRAP (1926)!

:x The major culprit however, for this pictures abject obscurity is PARAMOUNT, who has sadly set on their Silent Film Archive for decades! Doubtless, many titles (some important works), have been lost through shear neglect on their behalf, over the years! What a travesty!

:? The print I have seen is in pretty good shape, so it would not require an extensive restoration. The score was lone Piano, and though some of it was well done, this picture clearly demands more than this! I would love to see the movie given a top flight Orchestral score, by someone like Jeffrey Mark Silverman, who composed terrific scores for such silent films as TESS OF STORM COUNTRY (1922), and SCARAMOUCHE (1923), or Philip Carli, who produced superb efforts on STELLA MARIS (1919), and CAPTAIN SALVATION (1927)? These guys would be good choices! Gotta be cheaper than a Carl Davis or Robert Israel!

:D BARBED WIRE, is a top-notch Anti-war film. I feel one of the finest produced after THE BIG PARADE (1925)! Superbly Directed by Rowland Lee, and very well photographed! The powerful story about a French Girl named Mona, on a Prison work farm, who falls in love with a captive German soldier Oscar (Clive Brook), is brilliantly told! Scorned by her own people, She valiantly presses on, in the face of considerable adversity, and resentment. Negri, remembered primarily as a Vamp, is nothing of the sort here. Quite the opposite! Rather She is almost irreproachably virtuous!

:shock: When Her honor is threatened, by a high ranking French Officer, Oscar comes to Mona's rescue, but is arrested! About to be sentenced to death, She boldly intervenes on his behalf, revealing the truth of the matter, at his trial! The towns people totally disbelieving, brand her as a traitor! Futhermore, She is openly accussed of having a shameless affair with Oscar! "A Filthy German!"

:cry: The surprising sequence where the German POW's celebrate the season on Christmas Eve, is intensely moving! It leaves the serine French maiden, all the more confused over just what the war is all about? She confronts her bed ridden father (who is recovering from a stroke), and appeals to him to contemplate the senselessness of it all!

:) Negri gives the viewer a powerful, and very natural performance. She has great presence on the screen! Among the top dramatic star's of the 1920's, why have I not seen more of her films???

:roll: It's to bad Paramount can't get off their fat duffs, and do something with it's Major Silent's, before it is too late! This film too, should be on DVD!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Gagman,

The copy I watched is not in such good shape. It was taped off of AMC, when they really aired Classics. And I agree with you in that Paramount (& Universal too) should start releasing this great vintage films on DVD.

The scene in which the POW celebrate Christmas is really heartwrenching, especially after Clive Brook's character receives the bad news from home. This and the final scene are the most moving in my opinion. The scene that takes place after Brook's trial is also very moving, when the prisoners take off their hats/caps and salute Pola as she walks in front of them.