Suzanne Pleshette R.I.P.

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Alan K.

Suzanne Pleshette R.I.P.

Post by Alan K. »

I don't know if this is the venue for this type of post, but I just discovered that Miss Pleshette has passed away. I really HATE hearing this. She was an underrated actress and from what I've heard from many people, a grand lady who was down to earth and well liked by all. I remember her in one of my favorite funny films that no one remembers, 40 Pounds of Trouble with Tony Curtis and Phil Silvers.

I'll miss her. R.I.P. Suzanne.
"First is First and second is nobody"
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

That news makes me very, very sad. I liked her so much, she was a joy to see in almost everything she did. Besides being so beautiful, her voice was always a kick to hear.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I was chagrined to hear this news this morning.
Suzanne Pleshette's comic timing was truly wondrous, whether appearing opposite James Garner in Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971), on the Tonight show with an obviously enthralled Johnny Carson, and, of course, applying her delightfully dry wit and delivery to The Bob Newhart Show. Dramatically, Ms. Pleshette enhanced several tv shows and made-for-tv movies, including Have Gun, Will Travel, Route 66, Adventures in Paradise, Naked City and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

In addition to gracing some poor movies that were worthwhile in large part because she was there, lending her smoky-eyed beauty and sauciness to Youngblood Hawke(1964) or A Rage to Live(1965), I will always puzzle over Hollywood's failure to utilize this lady's talents as much as possible. Her clearly fierce intelligence may have had something to do with that, I suspect. I hope that her commitment to her private life gave her more satisfaction, which included an early, brief marriage to Troy Donahue, her longtime marriage to businessman Tommy Gallagher and late in life partnership with Tom Poston.

Btw, I've never understood how in the world anyone--least of all Rod Taylor in The Birds--could have failed to find Suzanne Pleshette in that film infinitely more challenging and appealing than Tippi Hedren?

One more thing: she had a great naughty laugh!

Here's a nice tribute site to Suzanne Pleshette that is a compendium of her salty wit and good work as an actress: http://home.houston.rr.com/blase/Root%2 ... outsp.html
Last edited by moira finnie on January 20th, 2008, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
klondike

Post by klondike »

This woman had it all.
Not only that chin-lifting sense of "grace under fire", but also a playful, smoldering hint of fire under the grace.
We'll miss her - I'd remark on a mold having been broken, but in Suzanne's case, I feel that unique sparkle had as much to do with tempering and working what she'd been born with.
Best spin I can manage on this one is that perhaps now, depending on your philosophy of afterlives, and the paths of souls, our old friend, the also-recently departed Tom Poston, can reunite with his "best girl".
:wink:
Wouldn't that make for a wonderful walk in the moonlight?
Alan K.

Suzanne Rememered

Post by Alan K. »

Btw, I've never understood how in the world anyone--least of all Rod Taylor in The Birds--could have failed to find Suzanne Pleshette in that film infinitely more challenging and appealing than Tippi Hedren?
And how! I always thought Rod Taylor's character needed professional help for dumping Suzanne. She was gorgeously alluring.

Great story about her that a friend told me who worked on Nevada Smith. Henry Hathaway was the director and was notorious as a screamer who broke down many of his leading ladies into tears (Lucille Ball, Coleen Gray received the Hathaway treatment). Suzanne was one of the guys and gave as good as she got. Hathaway couldn't make a dent in her and while they worked together, it was with a certain wariness. At any rate, filming the sequence down in the swamps of Louisiana, with humidity, mosquitoes, snakes etc., there was a sequence with Pleshette going to rescue Steve McQueen in a piroge through the swamp. At one point, the vessel overturned and she fell into the fetid water and emerged covered with green muck and slime. Pleshette fixed a gaze on Hathaway and bellowed: HEY HENRY, LOOK AT ME. I'VE JUST BEEN F#@&ED BY THE JOLLY GREEN GIANT! Hathaway and the crew broke up and any tension evaporated. Hathaway became so fond of her that he gave her time off during the shoot to go check out New Orleans. A lovely lady who will be desperately missed.
"First is First and second is nobody"
feaito

Post by feaito »

How sad, she was a beautiful and talented woman. I especially remember her excellent portrayal of the nasty Leona Helmsley (who died last year) in the 1990 TV Movie "Leona Helmsley: Queen of Mean". She was truly superb in it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The American Life Network will be airing a marathon of The Bob Newhart Show in tribute on Monday night, January 28th, starting at 9:00 pm (EST).

http://dtv.broadcastnewsroom.com/articl ... ?id=287655