John Barrymore Night

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

John Barrymore Night

Post by moira finnie »

Do you like John Barrymore?
I have a weakness for the three siblings, though my favorite Barrymore is Ethel. Still, I'll watch each of them in just about anything to see what they were up to in a film and what stage they might have been in during this part of their lives. While I would love to stumble on that missing wayback machine to see J.B. on stage back in the day in The Jest or Hamlet or Clair de Lune, I'll settle for three movies that the guy did and that I love: Twentieth Century, Counsellor-at-Law and the oft-mentioned The Great Man Votes.

Unfortunately, those aren't on the TCM schedule tonight, but here's the rundown below for this evening, along with my off the top of my head, unsolicited opinions. I'm looking for your thoughts on these films and Barrymore as well. If you have a yen for something really oddball, I'd go for The Mad Genius, which is quite loopy, and entertaining. Blink and you'll miss Boris Karloff in the first few minutes. Since I like Katharine Hepburn in the '30s in movies more than later, A Bill of Divorcement has moments between Barrymore and Kate, thanks to George Cukor's keeping a tight rein on the theatrics. Topaze is good, cynical fun, with a delicious Myrna as a sympathetic seductress and, for once, Barrymore is a naive Jack.

I've never seen Beau Brummel, but fear that it might be one of those over-the-top silent performances on Barrymore's part. Prove me wrong, please, guys. I want to like it and hope that the new score applied to it is good. Tell me what to look for? I want to like it. Thanks.

Beau Brummel (1924) 8pm ET
In this silent film, the legendary dandy takes on British society to court a lady above his station. Cast: John Barrymore, Mary Astor, Willard Louis. Dir: Harry Beaumont. BW-128 mins, TV-G

The Mad Genius (1931) 10:15pm ET
A deranged ballet teacher will stop at nothing to keep control of his protegee. Cast: John Barrymore, Marian Marsh, Donald Cook. Dir: Michael Curtiz. BW-81 mins, TV-14

A Bill of Divorcement (1932) 11:45pm ET
A recovered madman learns his ex-wife and daughter are about to marry. Cast: John Barrymore, Katharine Hepburn, Billie Burke. Dir: George Cukor. BW-69 mins, TV-PG, CC

Topaze (1933) 1:00am ET
A simple schoolteacher gets caught up in a wealthy baron's crooked schemes. Cast: John Barrymore, Myrna Loy, Reginald Mason. Dir: Harry D'Abbadie D'Arrast. BW-79 mins, TV-PG, CC

Beau Brummel (1924) 2:30 AM
Repeat of the silent.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I'm recording tonight! 8)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Well, I'm still awake here. All the Barrymore films so far have been great!