The 80th Academy Awards

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

The 80th Academy Awards

Post by mrsl »

After watching one of the better shows in a few years, I have two or three comments I have to make, even though I didn't know half of the people who were presenting, and in some cases, who won, still . . .

1. As a 100% heterosexual female, who has been married twice and bore 4 children, I have to say it's nice to see the female form once again has a form. It may only be for this particular show or year, but women wore dresses that accentuated their figures!!!! It was so nice to see waists and bustlines instead of those gunny sack type of slip dresses so popular for the past 10 years or so. All those vibrant colors were a pleasant sight, although it seemed red was the main color. It was nice to see the built in bra, the full, ruffled, or lacy skirt, with gathered areas. Just so much nicer than the pushed in boobs and all the dresses that made the women look like boys with no hips, boobs, or waists.

2. I realize most of the cause was the writers strike, but because of it, they had to make up time fillers, and how nice they decided on using old clips to re-introduce us to some of our favorite people of cinema. They were all there, The Duke, Jimmy Stewart, Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon, Liz Taylor, Shirley MacLaine, etc.

They gave a special honorary Oscar to a screen writer, Mr. Boyce, who is 98 years old. The man's clarity of mind was amazing, it was obvious he forgot what he was going to say a couple of times but both times he covered it beautifully. I just kind of wish they would do that a little earlier than when people hit their 80's and 90's. The poor man had to stand while he got a standing ovation, before he even started to speak, he could have keeled over any second.

As has been the way the past 20 years or so, the same 6 or 7 movies have been nominated for all the special awards, especially best and supporting movie as well as actors/actresses.

Any comments from anyone else who might have watched?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I agree with you that the show was quite enjoyable.

With the glaring exception of Brad Renfro (which could be attributed to his drug history, I don't know), I thought this year's In Memoriam was better than in previous years. It seemed longer and seemed to encompass more folks from behind the camera and behind the scenes.

As for the ceremony itself, I have to say that Jon Stewart, except for that political part in his opening monologue did a good job. I loved how he brought the young co-writer of the Best Song back out so that she could give her acceptance speech after she had been cut off. Classy job. I know it wasn't Stewart's call exclusively but he handled it very well.

I loved all the montages. Gil Cates had hinted at his back-up plan in case the writers strike was not settled. So, I was thrilled to see that they incorporated so many of the montages from the back-up plan into the show.

Loved George Clooney. The man is just incredible and the camera loves him so. Jack Nicholson and Tom Hanks were another two that are just so comfortable in front of the camera.

Helen Mirren's dress and the blue background of the stage, WOW! She looked fabulous but against that blue backdrop she looked absolutely stunning. A great choice of color.

I loved the tribute to Mr. Boyce, the 98 year old honorary recipient. Speaking of honorary Oscars wasn't Warren Beatty supposed to get one or did I just imagine that? Anyways, the montage prior to him taking the stage was very good and he was wonderful. A tad forgetful at times, but who cares, the man is 98! He talked of Hitch and other notables that he had worked with over the years.

Best speech of the evening, Tilda Swinton's and her talking about George Clooney and his Batman and Robin costume, the rubber nipples, the hanging upside down at lunch.

Having seen Blood and the Assasination of Jesse James, Roger Deakins was robbed of the award for Best Cinematography. Deakins did things with light and shadow in Jesse James that is just astounding. Also best sound and Best Score should have gone to 3:10 to Yuma.

Honorable mention, Marion Cotillard who was more surprised than anybody to hear her name as winner.

Other honorable mention, the lack of agents, lawyers and others that usually make up the bulk of the speeches.

Easiest on the ears, the Irish dulcet tones of Colin Farrell, the two winners for Best Song and Daniel Day Lewis. Those combined with the joy that is George Clooney made for an enjoyable evening, in deed.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Did I blink and miss Roy Scheider from the In Memoriam tribute as well as Brad Renfro? I must admit my attention wandered though the remembrance segment is usually among the more interesting moments. I didn't find Jon Stewart very funny, though I often do on The Daily Show. He seemed ill at ease here. Wish they'd ask George Clooney to host. He'd be quite funny, irreverent and could bring that "inside baseball" manner to the proceedings.

Having seen Marion Cotillard's performance as Piaf in La Vie en Rose, I think she deserved the award, though sentimentally, I sort of hoped that Julie Christie might be chosen for Away From Her.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

I suspect that you and I have an equal 'admiration society' going for Mr. Clooney. For some reason, I find so many people do not like him, that I try to keep my instincts about him as minimal as possible, so I'm happy to see someone praising him.

Warren Beatty got his last year if you recall, but he's one I choose to forget.

Please tell me, you and Moira both mentioned Brad Renfro. Who is he and what did he do?

Although I, too, appreciate the In Memoriam section of award shows, there are some people I still think should get just a small extra nod of attention like Deborah Kerr and Jane Wyatt, also some directors, although I can't think of any names right now. You're right about Roy Scheider, I don't recall seeing him, and it's odd that they extended the time frame to March to include Heath Ledger - they didn't do that for Sandra Dee when she died on February 5th, of 2005. Off subject: I did find it 'interesting' over on TCM when they were discussing a need for a tribute to Heath Ledger. TCM has their young viewers, now and I wonder what they're going to do with them?

Anne
Anne

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Anne,
Brad Renfro died of an overdose last month at only 25. He was a talented young man who appeared in The Client and Apt Pupil among other films. If you do a Google search of his name you could learn more about him, though a career overview can be seen here and an obit is found here .

I imagine that someday TCM will air Brokeback Mountain on the network and I believe that they may have shown The Patriot already. Just my opinion, but the Ang Lee directed movie of Brokeback Mountain is the best film Heath Ledger ever appeared in and has added tragic resonance now.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moira:

After I posed the question, I used my brain and imdb'd him. Since I never saw either a movie or TV show he was on, it's not unusual that I had no idea who he was. I did see The Client, but if he was the main little boy, he wouldn't have looked the same anyway, if he was the younger brother, he was barely on screen.

But I have to admit, people who die of overdoses, don't extract a whole lot of pity from me, unless they are doctors prescriptions that have gone bad, as in Judy Garland's case. Far too many young people make a few bucks from a movie or a TV series and the next thing you know, they've overdosed in a motel room or somewhere. That's about the only thing I have totally (0) zero tolerance to and that one thing is drugs. I feel, go ahead and use them, but don't expect sympathy from me when you kill yourself with them, it's your own stupid fault. I know I sound terribly mean and self-righteous - I don't even know anyone who ever died from drug overdose, so it's not personal, it just makes no sense to me. As I've often stated, stupidity makes me angry, and drug usage makes me angry because it is stupid.

As for Heath Ledger, one film does not entitle you to being called a Classic star, which is what a tribute from TCM would have been considered. I'm really sorry if I sound like a witch (w ?) but so many young talents have taken this road, how many will it take before their fans wake up and smell the coffee?

Anne
Anne

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

For the first time in several years, I didn't watch any of the Oscars last night. I hadn't seen any of the major nominees. They just didn't catch my interest, so I didn't watch the show.

I heard NPR's coverage of the evening this morning. Was Harrison Ford's speech as dopey as it sounded? "Movies... are made of dreams... and film."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Regarding the In Memoriam tribute. At the top of the tribute there was a title card with the dates February 1st, 2007 to January 31st, 2008 or something like that.

Anyways, my point being that Roy Scheider passed away after the cut-off date. He should be included next year.

As for Brad Renfro, his omission was rather glaring. If they had not included Heath Ledger then it wouldn't be so glaring but it made the Academy look like they were judging Renfro's life and not Ledger's.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Robert Boyle, the 98 year old production designer who received an honorary Oscar last night, had a nice appreciation written by one of our friends of the SSO, Scott Eyman. His piece on Mr. Boyle's contributions to cinema can be seen here.

Mr. Boyle also gave an interview here, indicating that his mind is very supple despite the fact that two babes were needed to help him to the podium last night. Check out the goals that Boyle has listed before he turns 100! I wished that the montage showing his work had not whizzed by quite so quickly, but of course, we needed more time for the boys from Knocked Up to show their wit. :?

Thanks for the clarification about Roy Scheider's omission from the tribute, Lynn, though how hard could it have been to add him to the roster? I guess I'm just being a bit of a curmudgeon, so I better go do some attitude adjustment, pronto! I think I'll go pursue Mr. Boyle's goals this afternoon and save the grousing.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

MikeBSG:

Harrison Ford has always been one of my favorites, but regarding your question about him, he not only sounded dopey but he also looked dopey. That's not a new thing though. On camera Ford looks strong and in control, but off screen he looks like he needs a keeper, and definitely a hair stylist.

Also, I know I probably stepped on some toes earlier, and I apologize for that, but there are only a few things I still feel very strongly about, and drugs is one of those things. We seem to have been fighting a war with drugs for 100 years, and it seems like they should be more under control by now.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moira:

"The Patriot" has been shown on TCM.

I didn't see the Oscars. Haven't watched them in years. If I needed anything I figure I can just catch it in the paper.

I did hear that last night's was the lowest rated broadcast ever. Many of the reviews weren't that great. Many were harder on Stewart than the show itself.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

What's the music cue from that starts approximately 1:31 in this Youtube clip of Best Picture winners.

The same piece of music is reprised at the end of the montage.

I know this cue, I just can't remember the name.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Lynn,
According to several keen listeners at Youtube the music is called "To the stars" and is on the Dragonheart soundtrack". The score was composed by Randy Edelman. It does sound very familiar and works best beginning at the point you noted with the surpassingly beautiful sight of Maureen O'Hara opening the gate from How Green Was My Valley .

Hey, do you think they could just mail the awards to the deserving and have more montages and less blather next year?

My question: who edited this montage together? Jonathan Glenn is listed on the credits of the program as the film editor for the entire program. Would that have included this or was it the work of unseen hands such as Chuck Workman and associates?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

!

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

Thanks for the info! I thought it was Edelman but never would have guessed Dragonheart. Edelman's music, like Morricone's, is tailor made for using in montages.

The Icons montage (the one that included past winners and hosts) was done by Chuck Workman. The music he used in that one was the dead give away.

The In Memoriam and, I believe, the 79 Best Pictures montage were done by the folks at a company called Prologue.

Thanks again for the music info. It was a very effective use of music and images!
Lynn in Lake Balboa