great romantic screen partnerships

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

great romantic screen partnerships

Post by stuart.uk »

i would limit it to not less than three film together

i would have at the top of my list Errol Flynn and Olivia De Havilland. they did several films together, almost all of them top quality like 'Robin Hood' Captain Blood and They Died With Their Boots On.

in 2nd place i'd have Fred and Ginger and all their classic musicals

in 3rd James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan for Shopworn Angel, The Mortal Storm and the great A Shop Around The Corner

4th-Tracy and Hepburn

5th-Charlie Chaplin and Edna Purviance lit up the screen in 34 films. a few of The Essanny Films like The Tramp are classics are as almost all the Mutual movies they did together such as Easy Street and The Immigrant. There was also The Kid, Shoulder Arms and The Idle Class from First National.

6th-it's a shame Cary Grant and Irene Dunne didn't do more films together like My Favourite Wife and Penny Serenade

7th-both for the second time, Cary Grant and Katie Hepburn with the likes of Bringing Up baby and The Pheladelphia Story.

8th-i reckon 3 of the Bogart/Bacall movies are classics, namely To Have And Have Not, The Big Sleep and Key Largo

9th-i reckon to that Duke Wayne and Maureen O'Hara did 3 classics Rio Grande, The Quiet Man and McLintock

10th-Bill Travers and real life wife Virginia McKenna did also three classic movies together The Smallest Show On Earth, Born free and the delightful Ring of Bright Water

11th-another British couple Michael Dennison and real wife Dulcie Gray did several films together including The Glass Mountain and My Brother Johnathon

12th-Charles Laughton and and wife Elsa Lanchester may seem like a strange choice, but they had their moments in Rembrant and pre-Africa Queen type movie Vessal Of Wrath
Last edited by stuart.uk on February 29th, 2008, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Number one for me: Myrna Loy and William Powell.

Number two for me: John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara but I like him equally with Gail Russell (only two films).

Number three for me: Clark Gable and Myrna Loy.

Number four for me: Clark Gable and Jean Harlow.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

CARY GRANT AND INGRID BERGMAN - NOTORIOUS - NEED I SAY MORE

JOHN GILBERT AND GRETA GARBO - FLESH AND THE DEVIL, LOVE AND A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS - DEFINITE CHEMISTRY

CARY GRANT AND KATHARINE HEPBURN - THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, HOLIDAY AND BRINGING UP BABY - SCREWBALL COMEDY WITH MORE THAN A HINT OF ROMANCE

FRED ASTAIRE AND GINGER ROGERS - FOR ALL THEIR FILMS TOGETHER.

CHARLIE CHAPLIN AND EDNA PURVIANCE - FOR THE MUTUAL SHORTS, THEY HAD CHEMISTRY.

HUMPHREY BOGART AND LAUREN BACALL - TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT AND THE BIG SLEEP - THEIR DIALOGUE WAS PERFECT.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The biggies have been mentioned. I must admit that the first couple who crossed my mind was Edward G. Robinson/Joan Bennett, but they had only two films together, I believe (SCARLET STREET and WOMAN IN THE WINDOW).

Continuing on the darker side of romance, fictional and real, John Cassavetes/Gena Rowlands (MINNIE AND MOSKOWITZ; OPENING NIGHT; LOVE STREAMS).

Finally, a man who my wife somehow finds attractive and a woman who is God's Loveliest Creation, Marcello Mastroianni/Sophia Loren (YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW; MARRIAGE ITALIAN STYLE; READY TO WEAR).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

Fantastic couples all the ones listed; I would add:

Carole Lombard and Fred MacMurray (Hands Across the table, True Confession, The Princes Comes Across, Swing High-Swing Low)

Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray (The Egg and I, No Time For Love, The Gilded Lily et al)

Jimmy Stewart and Maggie Sullavan (Shop Around the Corner, Mortal Storm, Shopworn Angel, Nex Time We Love)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I thought of Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan but I'd only seen them in The Shop Around the Corner. I'm glad you mentioned them Feaito.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Margaret Dumont and Groucho Marx.

"I'm fighting for her honor which is more than she ever did." (Duck Soup)

True love.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I, on the other hand, see her bending over the stove -- but I don't see the stove.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I'd like to toss a nod to BARBARA STANWYCK and FRED MACMURRAY who appeared in three extraordinary films together (unless I'm forgetting any):
Mitchell Leisen's wonderful REMEMBER THE NIGHT (1940) where they are extremely attractive together; he's an assistant DA , she's a shoplifter. Both comedy and drama ensue in this sadly overlooked gem; written by Preston Sturges.
They teamed again in 1944 for Billy Wilder in James M. Cain's DOUBLE INDEMNITY; not particularly romantic, but sexy as hell.
Back on screen together for Douglas Sirk in his all but forgotten 1956 melodrama THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORRORW. They're both middle-aged now, playing former flames (he's married, though) who contemplate an affair. It's my favorite Sirk film. And the stars are a big reason why.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Great addition Dewey! Stany is one of my favorites and Fred has been unfairly vastly underrated over the years. "Remember the Night" and "Double Indemnity" are superb films and "There's Always a Tomorrow" is an excellent Sirk Soaper. I checked imdb.com and they made another film together, which I have never seen: "The Moonlighter" (1953)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I know that I'm breaking stuart's "rule" that they had to be in 3 movies together, but I've always liked the chemistry between Ida Lupino and John Garfield in Out of the Fog and The Sea Wolf. Wish they'd done more together, though technically they were also "together" in Hollywood Canteen & Thank Your Lucky Stars.

Ida Lupino and Robert Ryan were very good together too in On Dangerous Ground and Beware, My Lovely. Apparently Bob shows up in the Ida-directed flick about tennis Hard, Fast and Beautiful as well, but I've never seen the entire movie and I don't believe that Ida is seen in the movie at all.

Dorothy McGuire and Robert Young had some tender romantic appeal in Claudia (1943), Claudia and David (1946) and The Enchanted Cottage

Claude Rains and Bette Davis should have been a great romantic couple in several films, (and in a subliminal way they sometimes were), but they weren't allowed much romance with one another, even in the one film when they were married, Mr. Skeffington.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'd like to break it too for one couple: Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" and "You Can't take With You!"

Another excellent couple that comes to my mind is Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier in "One Hour With You", "Love Me Tonight", "The Love Parade" and "The Merry Widow".
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Great choices, Fernando!

How about Gregory Peck & Ava Gardner? The best thing about their movies together was their yin and yang in their scenes together in The Great Sinner (1949), The Snows of Kilimanjaro (1952), and very much so in On the Beach (1959).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Another great romantic couple is Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea in the wondrously romantic "The More the Merrier". They were also teamed in "Adventure in Manhattan" and appeared in the 1930 "The Silver Horde", although McCrea's love interest there was Evelyn Brent. Arthur's character was obnoxious and spoiled.

Joel is also excellent with Madame Colbert in "The Palm Beach Story" and they were pals in "Private Worlds".
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Thanks for reminding me about the Stewart/Sullavan partnership. i've put them in the top five on my list