Ricardo Montalban (1920-2009)

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Ricardo Montalban (1920-2009)

Post by MissGoddess »

And he was on my mind today since TCM aired
RIGHT CROSS, which I thought was a good dramatic role for him.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 2229.story
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

Very sad news. Rest in peace Ricardo Montalbán.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This must be so sad for Ricardo Montalban's children, though I remember wondering how he would go on without his wife when Georgiana died in 2007, especially since his own health, if not his spirit, had deteriorated in the last years. Happily, he left us with a gallery of varied roles, including that of a decent man who tried to be a public example of an exemplary person to others.

I'm very partial to the role of the Kabuki performer he played in Sayonara (1957), to the good cop he played in Mystery Street (1949), and the bad cop in The Money Trap (1965).
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:This must be so sad for Ricardo Montalban's children, though I remember wondering how he would go on without his wife when Georgiana died in 2007, especially since his own health, if not his spirit, had deteriorated in the last years. Happily, he left us with a gallery of varied roles, including that of a decent man who tried to be a public example of an exemplary person to others.
I knew next to nothing about his off-screen life, and had no
idea his bride had only just passed away after such a long life
together. I wouldn't doubt that had something to do with his
following her.

I'm very partial to the role of the Kabuki performer he played in Sayonara (1957), to the good cop he played in Mystery Street (1949), and the bad cop in The Money Trap (1965).
I loved him in Sayonara! I even wished that relationship could have been explored in more depth.

Wasn't he also in one with, of all people, Shelly Winters? And he was crazy about her but he was very poor (well, they both were) and she was a bit of a mess. I think it was Ricardo---I hope I'm not confusing him with someone else. TCM showed this movie not too long ago...
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Having just seen him on Lion Roars minutes ago, this was a shock to turn on my computer and see this. Another wonderful voice stilled. One of my favorite memory's of him is dancing with Jane Powell in Two Weeks with Love. I, like many others I'm sure, at one time confused him with Fernando Lamas, such great reps of latin men.

Sci-fi fans probably join me in wishing the Great Khan a restful sleep.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I loved him in Sayonara! I even wished that relationship could have been explored in more depth.
Yeah, tell me about it. That relationship was far more interesting than anything that happened to Marlon and his honey.
Wasn't he also in one with, of all people, Shelly Winters? And he was crazy about her but he was very poor (well, they both were) and she was a bit of a mess. I think it was Ricardo---I hope I'm not confusing him with someone else. TCM showed this movie not too long ago...
I believe you are thinking of My Man and I (1952), directed by William Wellman. To be honest, I can't take too much Shelley at any time, but I liked Montalban in this one, as well as Claire Trevor and, (so help me, 'cause I used to diss him all the time) Wendell Corey as the troubled all Anglo couple with a dirt farm, a bad attitude and marriage, and a wee bit of drinking problem. Cross your fingers. Maybe TCM will trot this one out. Don't you think that they are bound to do a tribute day for Ricardo?

I just remembered that the first time I really noticed Ricardo was in Across the Wide Missouri, another Wellman movie, in which he played an Indian with a name like Iron Shirt or something. His end in that film involved a fall off a horse that injured him seriously and plagued him for decades. I believe it was one of the main reasons he ended his life in a wheelchair.
following her.
Two examples of Ricardo Montalban's off screen activities that I know of were:
In 1970, he founded the non-profit organization "Nosotros" whose goal is to help fulfill the goals of persons of Spanish-speaking origin in the motion picture and television industry. This group has done considerable work to try to promote positive depictions of Hispanics in the media.

He had purchased a historic theater in a run-down area of LA in 1999 and helped to restore it to promote the theater arts in a neighborhood with few positive activities.
Above is a 1940s picture of Georgiana and Ricardo when they first started dating.
Below is a 2003 picture of Georgiana and Ricardo Montalban. She was the younger sister of Loretta Young. They had four children.
moira finnie
Administrator

Ricardo Montalbán Tribute Day

Post by moira finnie »

Ricardo Montalbán Tribute Day on TCM is set for Friday, Jan. 23rd. You can see the entire press release here.

7:30 AM Fiesta (’47)
9:30 AM Neptune’s Daughter (’49)
11:15 AM Latin Lovers (’53)
1:00 PM Border Incident (’49)
2:45 PM Battleground (’49)
4:45 PM Across the Wide Missouri (’51)
6:15 PM The Singing Nun (’66)
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

Sorry to hear this news - I realize I haven't seen him in that much, but I thought Mystery Street was an excellent film - great cast too.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I remember while watching That's Entertainment part 3, there was a clip from The Kissing Bandit, a film which for the most part is regarded as one of Frank Sinatra's worst. However, the clip was terrific with Ricardo dancing a great routine with Ann Miller and Cyd Charisse.

He did an excellent cameo in Sweet Charity with Shirley Maclaine and played an Indian chief in the highly underrated James Arness western series How The West Was Won

I think it's a tribute to him that when it was decided to make Star Trek movies, they got Ricardo to reprise his role from the original series for The Wrath Of Khan, (It was method that was also successful in the James Arness Gunsmoke movies of the 90s) IMO one of the best of the movie series.

I suppose Fantasy Island maybe what he's remembered for most among a younger audience.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I recently saw him in the noir, Mystery Street, and he was quite good. He was the detective, and it was refreshing (albeit sad), that the film didn't shy away from racial tensions.

He was also pretty fun in the Spy Kids movies as the grandfather.....
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I always enjoyed seeing Ricardo Montalban. He always seemed to add an indefinable something to a project.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I loved him too in Sayonara. RIP Ricardo, he always played the gentleman in the films and parts I have seen.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
molo

Post by molo »

I really enjoyed his commentary for the When the Lion Roars Documentary. He seemed to be such a classy guy.

I've seen him in a number of films from Battleground, Mystery Street and Two Weeks with Love through the Star Trek film (and the original episode on which it was based).

I still have a lot more to see. I recorded some from his tribute day on TCM that I will get too. I had no idea he was married to Loretta Young's sister. Another sad loss.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ricardo Montalban. Sad news. He seemed to hold out for roles that didn't demean the minority experience. RIP.