WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sure you are right. I think I've most likely underestimated her.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "The Golden Coach" (1954) directed by Jean Renoir.

I started out utterly charmed by this film about a troupe of Italian actors adrift in 18th Century Latin America. I loved the details of how they put on their plays and won the townspeople over to their side (when the people clearly had seen nothing like this before.)

But then the plot of the film began to kick in, and I found that I really didn't care who had the golden coach. Also, the three men vying for the hand of their heroine looked a bit interchangeable to me. "The Golden Coach" ended up being good but not great.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm guessing THE GOLDEN COACH is not about Mike Ditka...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

RedRiver wrote:I'm guessing THE GOLDEN COACH is not about Mike Ditka...
:lol:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Well, kingrat, since you've been looking over Allan Dwan's filmography, you know that he made literally hundreds of movies. As a matter of fact, some have suggested that Imdb's tally of 405 is way short! Statistically speaking, eighty to ninety percent of his silents are lost, but this still leaves a lot of films, many of which are not easy to find. Of the couple dozen that I have seen, some do not live up to his reputation, but he regularly came up with some excellent films during the many different "periods" of his career. Of his best silents, Manhandled has been discussed here recently, and his Robin Hood with Fairbanks is so good that the Warner Brothers team borrowed heavily from it in the thirties. That decade was a mixed bag from him. You've seen Heidi. That and Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm are certainly among Temple's best. And Suez showed him to be more than capable of handling a "big " picture. A lot of good light fare helped take people's minds off the War, like Brewster's Millions and Getting Gertie's Garter. In the fifties he teamed up with the very capable and imaginative producer Benedict Bogeaus for my favorites of his films. Yes, Silver Lode is excellent, Slightly Scarlet and The River's Edge filled the gap between Noir and Neo before either term was being used here. One of my favorites is Enchanted Island, loosely based on Melville's Typee with excellent work by
Dana Andrews and Jane Powell (you just have to forget her blue eyes!). I don't remember his last film at all, but I would have loved any movie that had both Debra Paget and Elaine Stewart! Let us know what Dwans you get to see, and what you think of them.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

You're most welcome, kingrat.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Robert Regan said

One of my favorites is Enchanted Island, loosely based on Melville's Typee with excellent work by
Dana Andrews and Jane Powell (you just have to forget her blue eyes!).

Jane Powell said

I was absolutely thrilled when I was asked to do Enchanted Island. For one thing I didn`t have to sing. I was to do something different, and even more important, I got to die at the end! If anything was going to establish me as a serious actress, I thought, dying ought to do it.

But by the time Enchanted Island appeared, I didn`t die after all. My fans wouldn`t allow it, the producer said, so they rewrote the script. I played a dark-haired, supposedly dark-skinned native princess on a South Sea Island. (My blue eyes were explained away by mentioning a Swede who years before had visited the tribe! Since the blue eyes were one of the script`s high points, Enchanted Island was, as you can imagine, a really terrible movie. It was based on the wonderful Herman Melville novel Typee, but somehow Melville didn`t translate well onto the screen. How could it-----it wasn`t really Melville.

During the filming, my co-star, Dana Andrews had a problem with alcohol, and neither he nor the director, Allan Dwan, demonstrated any interest in the project. Allan Dwan seemed so thoroughly bored that I thought he didn`t want to be on the set at all. (He later told an interviewer, “I suffered through it with a drunken actor and a nice girl who didn`t belong in it---Jane Powell---she looked as false as hell.”)
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Well, Jane, it's not that bad, and you were very good. Dwan's use of color here and in Slightly Scarlet was excellent, in spite of his having said he hated color.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Some credit for SLIGHTLY SCARLET (as with SILVER LODE -- colors in the title make a difference?) must go to John Alton.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

The masterful John Alton never hurt a project!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Robert Regan wrote:The masterful John Alton never hurt a project!
He was responsible for Reign of Terror (1949), Wasn't he? He was a MASTER.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

On one of my lesser watched channels, ANTENNA TV ... I watched a mini-marathon while my DVR is recording The Sting on TCM of which ... I will watch on Monday. My mini-marathon from 5pm to 1am in the morning was DEAN MARTIN'S MATT HELM SERIES ...

THE SILENCERS 1966
THE MURDERERS ROW 1966
THE AMBUSHERS 1967
THE WRECKING CREW 1968

It was fun watching all these movies on Saturday and it was a blast seeing these kind of movies that serve an inspiration to AUSTIN POWERS ... I wanted more of these movies when they came out in the sixties and I was disappointed that they did not make THE RAVAGERS that was supposed to come out year after THE WRECKING CREW ... I've Believe.