YOU Tube'n

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Rita Hayworth

Re: YOU Tube'n

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Professional Tourist ... thanks for sharing this Hungarian Shadow Theatre ... I was in awe, stunned, by the sheer creativity of this marvelous troupe of players doing impossible shadows effects ... its truly amazing to see!!!

And for Moira ... you avatar of Eleanor Parker as a Redhead is a Stunner!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I agree with you, RH. Parts of it made me tear up.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

That Hungarian Shadow theater is stupendous. I've never seen anything like it, and I doubt that I ever will.

Thanks so much for finding it and showing it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I got all excited when I saw that the clip of Tom Jones was from the Sammy Davis Jr. show--I thought it was going to be Tom and Sammy together...just as well, because seeing the two of them groovin' together would be too much for me to handle.

I wish the frenetic go-go dancer would've been more in sync with Tom's sweet, sweet moves.

My best friend's mother used to have a record album where Tom Jones was standing in front of giant, lightbulb-studded letters spelling out TOM. I was fascinated.

Sandy K
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Most of the kids used to dance like that back in the sixties, including me. :P
My grampa loved Tom Jones. He didn't care for the pop music of that time, but Tom Jones did it for him. :D
The light-bulbs spelling out artists' names, especially on TV programs, was somewhat popular back in the day. Judy Garland did this too. :)

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

So, now I need to mount a one-woman show with SANDY in lightbulb letters behind me...

thanks for the Judy pic! Fabulous.

I went onto youtube last night and found some videos of Sammy and Tom singing together. Also found a wonderful clip with Tom Jones singing Sammy's hit Mr. Bojangles while Sammy danced. The arrangement of the song was more stripped down and just lovely. I wish there was a recording of it.

Sandy K
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

sandykaypax wrote:So, now I need to mount a one-woman show with SANDY in lightbulb letters behind me...
:D Can't wait to see that!
sandykaypax wrote:Also found a wonderful clip with Tom Jones singing Sammy's hit Mr. Bojangles while Sammy danced. The arrangement of the song was more stripped down and just lovely. I wish there was a recording of it.
Funny, but I recently found an old CD made from a record originally released in 1957 called, "Boy Meets Girl: Sammy Davis, Jr. and Carmen McRae." Carmen McRae was always a welcome presence but the quality of their duets here were incredibly good and made me remember that Sammy was a great performer long before he made many of us wince with the sad, relentless faux hipness in his later years. Both Carmen & Sammy deserved to have their name in lights! Here's a sample of their chemistry:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Just found this, it is lovely.

[youtube][/youtube]

And Marco found this one, posted it on FB

[youtube][/youtube]

And this one for Mel Blanc...

[youtube][/youtube]
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for posting those videos, Nan. I had no idea what some of the people behind the voices in Disney cartoons looked like. I was very impressed with Eleanor Audley's range and real life elegance and was surprised to see that character actress Verna Felton was among the voice actors too. I must admit that the whole video got me a bit misty eyed--but the Elmer Fudd man was laugh out loud hilarious.

Here's one guy who seems to have been regarded by Walt Disney as a lucky charm. Reportedly, when Cliff Edwards was quite down and out (as he often was during his roller coaster life), the cartoon mogul searched him out and gave him the Jiminy Cricket character to play in Pinocchio (1940). Disney kept bringing him back for years to reprise the Jiminy character and to play other parts too.

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Eleanor Audley and Verna Felton were the voices of my childhood, along with Elmer and Mel.

Our Larry knew Miss Felton, and has several charming stories about her. I hope he shares!
Last edited by knitwit45 on June 10th, 2013, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks Knitty and Moira for you heartfelt contributions here ...
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Moira--the Sammy and Carmen album was just made available to listen to on Spotify. I did have a Carmen McRae cd with their duet from Porgy and Bess, which is wonderful!

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love these kinds of albums (does that word date me?) I have a cd of Ray Charles and Betty Carter that's out of this world. Also have Louis and Ella's.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Jack,

I am huge Jack Armstrong Fan ... and I often play his You Tube(s) for fun and kicks ... and that one is one of my favorites with ELLE.

I just wanted to let you know that. Thanks for sharing them!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I considered putting this in "The End - Happy or Sad?" thread -- I'm going with Happy.

[youtube][/youtube]

Hawks Win! Hawks Win! Hawks Win!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles