WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

Twelve O'Clock High is high on my list; it's one of the best films set during WWII that I have seen. I enjoyed reading your review KingRat.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:Thanks, feaito and Vienna. Fascinating to learn that Twelve O'Clock High is used in management training.
I find it very interesting to learn this and I can see why Twelve O'Clock High is a film that is being used in Management Training and believe me I heard about this in my workdays at Boeing. I was told in Boeing that they used this film as a tool for Management Training and rightly so. So, I just wanted to point that out ...
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

MikeBSG wrote:Regarding the movie version of "What's the Worst That Could Happen?" I heard that the Teamsters who worked on the movie had a T-shirt made for themselves.

The front of the T-Shirt said "What's the Worst That Could Happen?"

The back of the T-shirt said "A sequel."
LOVE IT! New to me. Thanks for passing it on.

Now if we could only get them to print up T-shirts for e v e r y film they do!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Lomm wrote:
Rita Hayworth wrote:
feaito wrote: If I am not mistaken what you mention sounds more like Grant's and Bergman's 1958 comedy "Indiscreet" than "Notorious" Lomm.

feaito,

It is Indiscreet - because Bergman's character thought that Grant's character to be married - but in reality Grant's character was single and that's when Bergman's character plotted revenge against Grant's character in this delightful British Comedy that was directed by Stanley Donen. I hope that I got this right.
You are both absolutely right of course. I confuse those two movies in my head all the time! Whoops.
It's truly notorious how indiscreet they had to be getting around the Code those days!

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
feaito

Post by feaito »

:D :D :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH is a fine WW2 drama. One of Peck's better performances. I'm a fan of Henry King. He made a lot of movies I don't like. But when he's hot, he's really hot!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lucky V gave me the inspiration to watch this old Comedy Classic

He was talking about Lombard Street and when he first introduce himself he mentioned "What's Up Doc"

Therefore, I decided to pull out an old DVD of that movie that starred Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Streisand out and started watching it for the first time in 7 years. This movie started the career of Madeline Khan as Eunice Burns and she was sensational. It's a funny caper involving four overnight bags that was shuffled around like playing cards and I was amused/laughing so hard watching it last night. It was wonderfully directed and produced by Peter Bogdanovich and he did a great job putting it all together. :lol:

I know everyone here pretty much know about this movie that made back in 1972 - but it is one of my favorite movies and I just wanted to thank Lucky V for the inspiration to watch it last night of where there is nothing on Television to watch at that time. Great Cast too.

Thanks Lucky V.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Yes,JackFavell,my avatar is from THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE. I love the songs of DeSylva,Brown and Henderson featured in this Fox musical . (They wrote Birth of the Blues) .
The three songwriters were played by Gordon McCrae, Ernest Borgnine and Dan Dailey. Sheree North also in picture.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Rita Hayworth wrote:Lucky V gave me the inspiration to watch this old Comedy Classic

He was talking about Lombard Street and when he first introduce himself he mentioned "What's Up Doc"

Therefore, I decided to pull out an old DVD of that movie that starred Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Streisand out and started watching it for the first time in 7 years. This movie started the career of Madeline Khan as Eunice Burns and she was sensational. It's a funny caper involving four overnight bags that was shuffled around like playing cards and I was amused/laughing so hard watching it last night. It was wonderfully directed and produced by Peter Bogdanovich and he did a great job putting it all together. :lol:

I know everyone here pretty much know about this movie that made back in 1972 - but it is one of my favorite movies and I just wanted to thank Lucky V for the inspiration to watch it last night of where there is nothing on Television to watch at that time. Great Cast too.

Thanks Lucky V.
You're very welcome. I agree, it's a wonderful comedy, and Madeline, in her debut, was never better. Barbra was pretty sharp, too. Wish they'd make more screwball comedies; we need all the laughter we can get!

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lucky Vassall wrote:
Rita Hayworth wrote:Lucky V gave me the inspiration to watch this old Comedy Classic

Thanks Lucky V.
You're very welcome. I agree, it's a wonderful comedy, and Madeline, in her debut, was never better. Barbra was pretty sharp, too. Wish they'd make more screwball comedies; we need all the laughter we can get!

Well Said!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

V.I.P.S. The - 1963 Film

It's a great drama with many people having crisis after crisis and it was well executed by many fine performances of the players involved and its very well scripted too. I find that every performer including Margret (Won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress) Rutherford was stellar and the acting of both Burton and Taylor was dynamite. I was somewhat confused by the acting of Orson Welles in this movie and I felt that this character was pretty much useless and I have to say this - that I didn't care for it.

Louis Jourdan was not bad at as Marc Champselle who was trying to win the heart of Frances Andros (Taylor) and until Marc was forced to hand her the letter and she realized that she is making a mistake going to Marc - rather to her husband Paul Andros (Burton) instead. I thought that acting sequence was touching, powerful, and yet moving too. The last 10 minutes of the movie was by far the best 10 minutes of the movie - bar none.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this drama of rich people stuck overnight at a London's Heathrow Airport with a variety of personal trials and it's rather played well by an all-star cast and one more thing - I really enjoyed Maggie Smith performance as well. She was splendid too.

I hope some of you watch this great drama back in 1963.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE VIPs is well written, if not fascinating. Playwright Terence Rattigan followed the format of his SEPARATE TABLES; a disparate group of characters confined in a space. The tried and true formula works well, with a collection of Class A actors doing it justice.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

On Wednesday, I watched 'Against All Flags" (1952) directed by George Sherman.

It is a very enjoyable swashbuckler. It started with Errol Flynn being flogged, only to quickly assure us that this was necessary so he could go undercover among the pirates. I began to fear that this would turn out to be some kind of dour Cold War allegory, but the movie (thankfully) never went down that road.

I was really taken by the chemistry between Flynn and Maureen O'Hara. While it wasn't Flynn & de Havilland, it still struck more sparks that Flynn had with any other leading lady. Flynn actually seemed to show a flair for humor here, and a lot of the humor seemed surprisingly (to me) risque for 1952.

Of course, the shadow of Universal's "Arabian nights" movies of the Forties seemed to hover over this film too, adding to the lighthearted nature of this movie.

No, it's not "Captain Blood" or even "The Crimson Pirate," but "Against All Flags" is pretty enjoyable.