Allhallowsday

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Allhallowsday »

HARRY NILSSON Nilsson Schmilsson

Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Sweetheart Of The Rodeo by The Byrds- Aug 1968

The group's 6th album, I like this one better than the last. McGuinn and Hillman are the only original members left, and this record is a pure country album. Gram Parsons (guitar and vocals) and Kevin Kelley (drums) are the new Byrds. The opener is a Bob Dylan song "You Ain't Goin Nowhere" the best song on the album and one of the best Byrd songs. It has great harmony singing on the chorus which makes you want to hear it over and over. "I Am A Pilgrim" has some great banjo and fiddle playing, Hillman sings lead very well also. "The Christian Life" is good religious song sung by McGuinn. Parsons sings the heartbreak song "You're Still On My Mind" and his voice is clear and pleasant. "Pretty Boy Floyd" is good Woody Guthrie song sung by McGuinn and more banjo picking. "Hickory Wind" is another nice vocal showcase for Parsons. He also sings an interesting tale of murder and prison in "Life In Prison". Another Dylan song "Nothing Was Delivered" has good harmony singing and ends the record.

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

^ The one BYRDS album I had to own!

HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS Whipped Cream & Other Delights

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

MOBY Hotel (ambient disc 2)

Detective Jim McLeod

Dr Byrds And Mr Hyde by The Byrds-Mar 1969

There are more changes in the Byrds lineup now. McGuinn is now the sole original member since bassist Hillman had quit. Gram Parsons and Kevin Kelley also left. John York was the new bassist, Clarence White now on guitar and Gene Parsons the new drummer. This is one of the weaker Byrds albums with only a few good songs. Bob Dylan's "This Wheel's On Fire" has an ominous melody and a good opener. "Old Blue" is an OK country tune about a dog with some handclaps on it. McGuinn wrote two songs for the flop movie Candy, "Child Of The Universe" is pretty forgettable and the title song is a little better. The best song on the album is Drug Store Truck Drivin Man a satiric song of a southern redneck. The final track is a medley of a snippet of "My Back Pages", one of the group's best and a instrumental "BJ Blues" and Jimmy Reed's old blues song "Baby What You Want Me To Do"

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TIM BUCKLEY Greetings From L.A.

Andree

Post by Andree »

Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

Allhallowsday wrote: February 19th, 2023, 2:48 pm TIM BUCKLEY Greetings From L.A.

Nice to see Tim out in public here.. I was captured by HELLO AND GOODBYE in the late 60s and there are a number of songs that I still love and should be classics. But this my genre of choice and know hardly anything. We used to doobie up, it was the times. I wonder if he is dated since some of those songs were so 60s. And I understand only vague that his son eclipsed him in popularity. In the album mentioned above he uses his what I take to be his natural fach, that is in the tenor range. In other songs (not in the album above) he purposely lowers his voice and I hate that. He is fantastic in HAG, absolutely brilliant. Is be considered forgotten? Who is better, Tim or Jeff? I have no idea. I have never even heard a song by Jeff?

How can anyone NOT like this? The use of voice is incredible.

[media]https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... dW0PEeybJ8[/media]
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

norfious

Post by norfious »

_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

laffite wrote: February 19th, 2023, 5:49 pm ...
Nice to see Tim out in public here.. I was captured by HELLO AND GOODBYE in the late 60s and there are a number of songs that I still love and should be classics. But this my genre of choice and know hardly anything. We used to doobie up, it was the times. I wonder if he is dated since some of those songs were so 60s. And I understand only vague that his son eclipsed him in popularity. In the album mentioned above he uses his what I take to be his natural fach, that is in the tenor range. In other songs (not in the album above) he purposely lowers his voice and I hate that. He is fantastic in HAG, absolutely brilliant. Is be considered forgotten? Who is better, Tim or Jeff? I have no idea. I have never even heard a song by Jeff?

How can anyone NOT like this? The use of voice is incredible.

[media]https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... dW0PEeybJ8[/media]
I listen to TIM BUCKLEY occasionally, and Hello Goodbye is his best known album I expect. We are about the same I know a lot about JEFF BUCKLEY but have never taken much interest. I listen to Happy/Sad most often, but Greetings From L.A. I don't have a copy and like it best! Hell, I even have Lorca!
TIM BUCKLEY was definitely not a hit-maker, but that's part of the reason I like him.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hot Sundae

"Get down and break a sweat . . ."

Stevomachino

Post by Stevomachino »

HoldenIsHere wrote: February 19th, 2023, 11:08 pm Hot Sundae

"Get down and break a sweat . . ."

I feel the only appropriate response here is, "I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so...scared...!"
Detective Jim McLeod

The Ballad Of Easy Rider by The Byrds- Nov 1969

A good album, big improvement over the last one. The title song is a beautiful, soothing ballad sung by McGuinn. Bassist John York wrote and sang "Fido" which does not fit in with the album. "Oil In My Lamp" is a good traditional song with nice harmonies. "Tulsa County Blue" is good country tune. "Jack Tarr The Sailor" is an old sea shanty and well sung by McGuinn sounding just like an old English sailor. The best track is the rousing and catchy "Jesus Is Just Allright". Next is an excellent version of Bob Dylan's "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" with the best harmony singing on the record. Drummer Gene Parsons sings the next two songs, while he doesn't have a bad voice, it is not really outstanding either. "There Must Be Someone" is an ordinary song and "Gunga Din" only a little better. McGuinn takes over a poignant version of Woody Guthrie's "Deportee" about a plane crash of Mexican migrant workers. McGuinn's fascination with space travel ends the album with a short tribute to the recent moon landing on "Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins"