MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Today is the 120th anniversary of Bing Crosby's birth. He is often acknowledged as one of the greatest singers of the 20th century, but what do you think of him as an actor? He was rarely given a chance to be anything on screen but the happy go lucky, laid back nice guy that the public perceived him as.
He even won an Oscar for Going My Way (1944)

He was not often allowed to prove he could do more than that, but he was excellent as the alcoholic, compulsive liar in The Country Girl (1954), if Marlon Brando had not done On The Waterfront that year, Crosby might have had his second Oscar.
The only other time he got a challenging role was his last, a 1971 TV movie called Dr. Cook's Garden, the first time he showed a sinister side in a film.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

I apologize for breaking in on this interesting and fun thread, with something that doesn't relate to it at all.
I cannot figure out how to start a new thread myself, so am piggybacking on this one.
anyway...The TCM schedule for Canada is still not up. I am very worried TCM might be discontinuing broadcasting in Canada. The Canadian schedule is usually up by now.
Does anyone here have any information as to this? I do hope TCM is not abandoning its Canadian viewers. That would break my heart.

PS: This is the first time I've posted here for quite a while. (By "here" , I mean this Silver Screen Oasis site.) I'm still interested in engaging in conversations about movies, music, etc., but it's been an exceptionally busy time for me in my personal life, and I've not had much chance to come here and read the threads, let alone post on them. Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm ...Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Count me as one of those friends from the old TCM.com days who has indeed been wondering about the lack of your presence here lately, Jan.

(...good to hear you haven't lost interest in the happenings around here) :smiley_cheers:
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm I apologize for breaking in on this interesting and fun thread, with something that doesn't relate to it at all.
I cannot figure out how to start a new thread myself, so am piggybacking on this one.
anyway...The TCM schedule for Canada is still not up. I am very worried TCM might be discontinuing broadcasting in Canada. The Canadian schedule is usually up by now.
Does anyone here have any information as to this? I do hope TCM is not abandoning its Canadian viewers. That would break my heart.

PS: This is the first time I've posted here for quite a while. (By "here" , I mean this Silver Screen Oasis site.) I'm still interested in engaging in conversations about movies, music, etc., but it's been an exceptionally busy time for me in my personal life, and I've not had much chance to come here and read the threads, let alone post on them. Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
I checked the TCM website (empty shell that it is since the boards and shop closed) and saw nothing, but then I checked a Canadian website about TV listings and saw that they were indeed showing the same things on TCM up there that they were down here today. So it looks as though the channel is continuing in Canada, but don't always look to TCM's website for help anymore. Rely on your local cable service and local newspaper for details.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thompson wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 9:49 pm The two walked me home. The guy carried my beer and bottle and the gal held my hand the whole block and a half.
A testament for the service law enforcement provides.

My mantra for leaving an unhappy life situation, "This is the first day of the rest of my life" and it WAS.
I faced my fear of being alone and embraced it, made the best of it. Life is too short to waste any of it unnecessarily unhappy.

Guess I learned this from dealing with the weather: freezing cold & tons of snow. Instead of hiding from it, learned to dress correctly & embrace winter sport.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pmThis is the first time I've posted here for quite a while. ... Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Good to see a post from you again. I was mostly a lurker over a TCM (daily visits, but only something like 63 posts from 2005 until the closure notice), but liked reading your posts.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

dianedebuda wrote: May 4th, 2023, 8:14 am
MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pmThis is the first time I've posted here for quite a while. ... Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Good to see a post from you again. I was mostly a lurker over at TCM (daily visits; only something like 63 posts from 2005 until the closure notice), but liked reading your posts.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:53 pm
MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm ...Not that I'm vain enough to think most people have noticed one way or the other, but perhaps a few of my friends from the old TCM chat site may have thought I'd lost interest. Not so.
Count me as one of those friends from the old TCM.com days who has indeed been wondering about the lack of your presence here lately, Jan.

(...good to hear you haven't lost interest in the happenings around here) :smiley_cheers:
Me too. I've noticed.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

MissWonderly wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:00 pm I apologize for breaking in on this interesting and fun thread, with something that doesn't relate to it at all.

I'm glad to see you back on the boards, Miss Wonderly! I was wondering where you were :-)
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Masha

Post by Masha »

TikiSoo wrote: May 4th, 2023, 5:53 am
I faced my fear of being alone and embraced it, made the best of it. Life is too short to waste any of it unnecessarily unhappy.
I have been married for approx. twenty-three of my seventy years. I have rarely felt alone even when I was between men. There were times when I felt alone even when I was married. A notable example of this was when my second husband tried to include me in activities with his daughter. She never accepted me as anything but her daddy's current sex object. That form of isolation did reach me on a deep level.

I freely acknowledge that I am not normal but I empathize greatly with the meme: "It is a good night to go deep into the woods and change my name to something the wolves will understand."
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: May 4th, 2023, 12:09 pm
...I freely acknowledge that I am not normal but I empathize greatly with the meme: "It is a good night to go deep into the woods and change my name to something the wolves will understand."
Hmmm...and here I've always pictured you as being more a cat person, Masha???

;)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: May 5th, 2023, 2:55 pm Hmmm...and here I've always pictured you as being more a cat person, Masha???
Go into a woods where there is a cat which matches me in body weight? I believe the appropriate phrase is: "I am not as dumb as I look."
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:04 pm
Dargo wrote: May 5th, 2023, 2:55 pm Hmmm...and here I've always pictured you as being more a cat person, Masha???
Go into a woods where there is a cat which matches me in body weight? I believe the appropriate phrase is: "I am not as dumb as I look."
Wait! Are we back to that whole "left-handed compliment" thing we discussed earlier here again??? ;)

(...or was that in another thread?) LOL
Masha

Post by Masha »

The first Saturday in May is: World Naked Gardening Day.

My little Fuzzy shouted for me to help him for a minute. I found him tending his Echinacea seedlings. The problem he was having was that we are kitten-sitting and one of the tiny monsters wanted to be part of the activity. He did not want to pick her up because his hands were wet and dirty and he had been handling blood meal.

My pondering is whether he was truly in the spirit of the day because he was wearing slippers. I understand that the concrete floor of the basement room in which the grow-lights are set up is cold and feels damp even when it is not but his toes being covered means that he was not totally naked.

It is hard for me to be completely impartial in the judgement of this because the slippers he was wearing are the ones which I gave him three years ago for his birthday and are now apparently relegated to doing chores in the nether regions of the house and being besprinkled with all manner of fertilizers and soil amendments.

Comments?
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Masha wrote: May 4th, 2023, 12:09 pm
I have rarely felt alone even when I was between men.
Must... resist... joke.