MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
laffite

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 9:33 pm
dianedebuda wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 8:19 pm
Dargo wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 6:56 pmFunny...I've heard the same thing about Texans!
Grrr. 😾
LOL

So Diane, I take this to mean that I would be well-advised to heed the message on this young lady's T-shirt then, eh?!...

Image ;)
Not to worry. No chance of that.

:smiley_snoopy: Now wait a minute, Laffite, just what do you mean by that? Sounds like that could be taken as an incendiary remark. After all, I gather you are not the type that has to fight them off your back?

Gosh, Snoop; you sound a little like Dargo there.

:smiley_snoopy: Couldn't resist. And so how say you?

It's the weather. I was in Dallas one time, almost died.
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Youse guys ain't got a clue. We've got European sophistication out the wazoo. Mel Ferrer? Meh. We've got
Frankie, Brucie, and Grover. Now give me twenty dollars of regular. I've got to get back on the Parkway.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 11:14 pm Youse guys ain't got a clue. We've got European sophistication out the wazoo. Mel Ferrer? Meh. We've got
Frankie, Brucie, and Grover. Now give me twenty dollars of regular. I've got to get back on the Parkway.
LOL

Great Gandolfini impression here, Andree!

(...now, lemme see ya do Chris Walken...haven't seen a good one of him done since Spacey was banished from the airwaves)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Dargo wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 11:23 pm
Andree wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 11:14 pm Youse guys ain't got a clue. We've got European sophistication out the wazoo. Mel Ferrer? Meh. We've got
LOL

(...now, lemme see ya do Chris Walken...haven't seen a good one of him done since Spacey was banished from the airwaves)
Dargo,my Christopher Walken impression is actually quite good. My sister's husband always asks me to do it whenever we see each other.

Others in my repertoire:
Billy Bob Thornton's character from SLING BLADE
Truman Capote and . . .
The mother from GOOD TIMES (actually just the way she exclaims "James!")
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 11:53 pm
LOL

Dargo,my Christopher Walken impression is actually quite good. My sister's husband always asks me to do it whenever we see each other.

Others in my repertoire:
Billy Bob Thornton's character from SLING BLADE
Truman Capote and . . .
The mother from GOOD TIMES (actually just the way she exclaims "James!")
YEAH?! Well that's pretty cool there, Holden!

But please don't tell me that your BEST impression of Walken includes using a wristwatch as a prop.

(...his version of that is freaky enough on its own, ya know!) ;)
Andree

Post by Andree »

LOL

I never did trust Fat Tony. He had the stink of a snitch for the feds. Haven't seen him around lately?
Hint: take a look in Newark Bay.

I like Walken, but I'm not that familiar enough to do an impression. I do a fairly good Truman Capote. It takes a few
sentences to get going and to raise my voice to his higher level. I like to start off with 'Norman told me I was his
favorite writer' and go on from there. Of course you'd got to throw in that funny little chuckle every once in a
while.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: July 4th, 2023, 12:34 am

LOL

I never did trust Fat Tony. He had the stink of a snitch for the feds. Haven't seen him around lately?
Hint: take a look in Newark Bay.

I like Walken, but I'm not that familiar enough to do an impression. I do a fairly good Truman Capote. It takes a few
sentences to get going and to raise my voice to his higher level. I like to start off with 'Norman told me I was his
favorite writer' and go on from there. Of course you'd got to throw in that funny little chuckle every once in a
while.
Too bad we can't get you and Holden here together and then have a "Dueling Trumans" sort'a thing go on.

Ya know, kind'a like that old SNL skit with Belushi and Peter Boyle doing their Brando impressions against each other.

(...WAIT...you know how to use Zoom, don't ya?!...Holden young man, are you listening here?) ;)
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

Some news about The Magnificent Ambersons (How do you start a new topic here?).

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/03/11848396 ... hYvUdqp2Fs
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Dargo wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 9:33 pmSo Diane, I take this to mean that I would be well-advised to heed the message on this young lady's T-shirt then, eh?!...
Except when messing is invited. 😉
Dargo wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 10:16 pmI eventually found my way back after 3 hours and after before telling the bike's owner I'd be back in only about an hour)
Did they notice? 😆
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Now, now, guys, today is the Fourth! Texas, Philly, New Jersey, Florida -- we're all Americans!

Francis Albert Sinatra was from Hoboken, n'est pas? But I don't think he wanted to be reminded, sadly.

My famous Meryl Streep impression from SOPHIE'S CHOICE: "Coney Island, oh boy!"

So who else enjoyed Bing and Bob yesterday? (for some reason THE ROAD TO RIO is never shown) ROAD TO MOROCCO is their best but I think ROAD TO BALI is funniest. I was of course not able to tear myself away from Crosby's left arm..

Here comes YANKEE DOODLE DANDY...."We'll put ants in their Japants...." My brother and I for some reason always remember that line from when we first saw the movie as kidlets. Not p.c. I know but the brain doesn't always think in social justice terms, lol.

I'm waiting for 1776. "Sit down, John!" Love William Daniels as Adams.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

dianedebuda wrote: July 4th, 2023, 7:34 am
Dargo wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 10:16 pmI eventually found my way back after 3 hours and after before telling the bike's owner I'd be back in only about an hour)
Did they notice? 😆
LOL

Why Diane! Need you even ASK?!

I mean, surely you've been at some function (and lets say and in this case, a family reunion party), have looked around and suddenly said to yourself something like, "HEY! where'd the life of the party go?"

And so, NATURALLY my absence was noticed those three hours I was gone! ;) LOL

(...actually and according to my wife, a few of them had started to wonder if I had maybe crashed that motorcycle while out on my little New Jersey exploratory venture...my wife of course knowing what a competent motorcyclist I am, knew not to worry and surmised that I must've just gotten lost)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Stix Nix Hix Pix

That's another one that "stix" with us....
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 4th, 2023, 5:52 pm Stix Nix Hix Pix

That's another one that "stix" with us....
...and thus asking that timeless question: "Will it play in Peoria?"
laffite

Post by laffite »

CinemaInternational wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 1:40 pm Question of my own. Can films of the 70s, 80s, and early 90s still be called modern films or are they in some purgatory like middle ground of not being classic or modern? They certainly have more spiky material than the classic era, but they also have more thoughtful craftsmanship than much of what has been doled out in the last 25 years.
I would say that the first increment of the advent of modern films is The Street Car Named Desire, a true watershed movie. The next increment might be somewhere in the 60s when the studio system was dissolved and/or the Code was cracked. Somewhere in the 90s, cursing became prevalent and suddenly everyone was saying, s***, f***, goddam this and goddam that, that certainly is a modern quality. I have left all the finding to someone else as I don't have the knowledge myself, and the outline given perhaps not very good and incomplete. And to add there is a vast quantity of films I have not seen that many others have. I think the overall idea is a good one and I was hoping to hear what others have to say. Maybe there have been responses made on this sub-thread I have missed.
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Somehow I can't picture Truman canoeing down the white water rapids of the Chotapactaloussie river. Breakfast at Bojangles.

Yep, Frankie was born in Hoboken. Could have been worse--he could have come from Bayonne. Just kidding, though I can't
recall anyone saying when I was a teenager "Hey you guys, let's drive over to Hoboken."