I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: September 26th, 2023, 2:52 pm Our Perry Mason viewing has included Whit Bissell in a characteristic role (Case of the Crooked Candle) and Geraldine Wall (Case of the Baited Hook). Geraldine Wall was excellent as Van Johnson's mother in High Barbaree, which is how I knew her. She gets some juicy scenes in her Perry Mason appearance.

Most of the supporting roles in Perry Mason are by actors I don't know, but the quality of the acting is good.
I'm somewhat surprised with your last sentence since you are a big fan of studio-era films and I assume you have seen hundreds of films from the 30 - early 60s.

I recognize most supporting actors on Perry Mason since most had roles in film, as well as 50s \ 60s T.V. shows. E.g. Bissell; He was a supporting actor on The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Tells of Wells Fargo and almost every other western and crime T.V. show during that era. I do have to google them to remind me of their name. I.e. I 'know' them, but just can't recall their name.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yeah, are a lot of Hollywood old timers that pop up on Perry Mason. Marie WIndsor was in a handful. Colleen Grey; many others. Supporting players as well.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Buzzr is now showing classic game shows: To Tell the Truth, What's My Line and I've Got a Secret beginning at four a.m. every day of the week.

What's My Line and I've Got a Secret each have a celebrity contestant on every episode as well as on their panels. A few were up-and-comers who went nowhere and so are not easily recognizable but there is a wealth of movie stars.

I hate that it comes on at my usual bedtime! I can ill afford staying awake an extra two hours on the off chance the guest will be a person whom I adore.
Last edited by Masha on September 26th, 2023, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: September 26th, 2023, 5:23 pm Buzzr is now showing classic game shows: To Tell the Truth, What's My Line and I've Got a Secret beginning at four a.m. every day of the week.

What's My Line and I've Got a Secret each have a celebrity contestant on every episode as well as on their panels. A few were up-and-comers who went nowhere and so are not easily recognizable but there is a wealth of movie stars.

I hate that it comes on at my usual bedtime! I can ill afford staying awake an extra two hours on the off chance the guest will be a person who I adore.
I don't think I can live without a DVR. Not that I am inflexible but that I am too damned used to it. I never watch anything in real time (unless it is news). Not even a football game, or should I say especially a football game. Ad breaks are unconscionably long. You are no doubt aware that there are many What's My Line episodes on utube. Still, it's always nice to view when they are regularly scheduled programs, just allowing it to be whatever it is. Condolences, that is a horrible time for any program (except horror movies though that should not count because there in no time good for that). . :smilie_happy_thumbup: :P :P :P
The Shining Hour (1938)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

VICTIM (1961) An important film, it's still powerful, and proof of how brave DIRK BOGARDE was.

Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Allhallowsday wrote: September 28th, 2023, 8:46 am VICTIM (1961) An important film, it's still powerful, and proof of how brave DIRK BOGARDE was.

I have seen it a few times, very good film. I think Bogarde gives his best performance ever here. Darren Nesbitt also very good as one of the scummy blackmailers.
I liked that it done as a whodunnit mystery and great seedy location shots of London, it has the stark atmosphere of many of the "kitchen sink" dramas of the time.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: September 28th, 2023, 10:46 am
Allhallowsday wrote: September 28th, 2023, 8:46 am VICTIM (1961) An important film, it's still powerful, and proof of how brave DIRK BOGARDE was.

I have seen it a few times, very good film. I think Bogarde gives his best performance ever here. Darren Nesbitt also very good as one of the scummy blackmailers.
I liked that it done as a whodunnit mystery and great seedy location shots of London, it has the stark atmosphere of many of the "kitchen sink" dramas of the time.
Seedy location shots?! Most of them are in and around the West End (you can see several theatre marquees in the background), or in Chiswick (the Farr home). Grubby perhaps in spots, dreary, smoky, cloudy skies, definitely, but I wouldn't call it seedy. The UK was a much poorer nation then, still suffering from the effects of WWII, rationing having ended only 6 years prior to filming. Most single people did have to live in bedsits/rooming houses at that time (as they had before).

You can see one of my old apartment buildings in a couple of shots, on St Martin's Lane, around the corner from where Harold Doe's bookshop is supposed to be. The film implies the shop is on St Martin's Ct. But it's the next court south (Cecil Ct) that has a lot of specialty bookshops, art and antique shops. The pub they used for the interiors was The Salisbury, which is at St Martin's Ln and St Martin's Ct, across from the Noel Coward Theatre (which was The New Theatre in the film [Oliver! was running then]). It had been considered a gay-friendly pub since Oscar Wilde's time.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Sex and the Single Girl (1964) In 1962, Helen Gurley Brown put out a book called Sex and the Single Girl. Two years later, Warner Bros. released this laugh-out-loud comedy with Natalie Wood stepping into Brown’s shoes. Natalie plays Dr. Helen Brown, a psychologist whose controversial book of the same title offers advice to single women about living free of inhibitions. A misogynistic rag of a magazine called Stop has written a hit piece on Brown, claiming she may in fact be a virgin, and thus has no business advising women on matters of the bedroom.

Helen’s romantic interest is Bob Weston, played by Tony Curtis, who works for Stop, and uses a false identity to become her patient to gather material for an embarrassing exposé. What I love about Natalie Wood is the way she channels neurosis to comedic heights. The cast is sensational, and what a cast: Lauren Bacall, Henry Fonda, and Edward Everett Horton playing a bottom feeder supreme as Stop’s owner. Also noteworthy is Fran Jeffries as a cool as a cucumber aspiring singer. The script is far-fetched to say the least. And the third act highway car chase perhaps went on too long. Still, I find this to be one of the funniest rom-coms out there.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

In Sex and the Single Girl (1964) For me Nathalie Wood was at her most beautiful,she was very sexy
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

CINEMA PARADISO (1988)

Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

nakanosunplaza wrote: September 29th, 2023, 12:12 pm In Sex and the Single Girl (1964) For me Nathalie Wood was at her most beautiful,she was very sexy
I agree. She looked fantastic.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Since I was a teenager in the 70's I was smitten by her in the film,I remember my father cracking up at the quarters joke at the toll booth !
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

nakanosunplaza wrote: September 29th, 2023, 12:12 pm In Sex and the Single Girl (1964) For me Nathalie Wood was at her most beautiful,she was very sexy
Yes, Natalie Wood was gorgeous in SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL.
She was also beautiful in PENELOPE, released 2 years later.
While not a box office success like SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL, PENELOPE is the more entertaining of the two movies for me.
As in SINGLE GIRL, Natalie Wood rocks the wonderful Edith Head-designed costumes in PENELOPE.
In the movie, she still looks like the the little girl in MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET, but all grown up!

laffite

Post by laffite »

Yes, she looks amazing. Reminds of Loretta in Midnight Mary, perhaps her best movie for runaway good looks.
The Shining Hour (1938)