SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

I'm now going to echo something laffite touched upon the other day.

Yes, even though the D-backs' offense couldn't muster the key hit they needed throughout the game when they had runners on base and thus perhaps making my following comment somewhat academic, I have to wonder how much relief pitcher Kevin Ginkel who had shown to be their only reliable reliever makes for working only ONE (sometimes plus) inning(s) in a baseball game.

Yep, must be nice being young, fit and possess a very good arm with very good control, and yet be paid what is probably pretty good money for working only 10 to 15 minutes on occasion.

(...or in other words, I KNEW "closer" Paul Sewald was going to have the lousy 9th Inning that he had in Game 5 as the guy has been a "high wire act" since the day the D-backs acquired him from Seattle, AND that Ginkel should have returned to the mound for the 9th inning as well and thus most likely keeping the game's score closer than it would turn out to be)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Seager is really fun to watch, both on the field and at the plate.

I really lucked out this season. I was a Cub fan since birth but the Cubs aren’t on tv. So from the beginning of season all the Ranger games are on my cable set up. I fell in love with all the players. I started crying last night when they won it. It’s bitter sweet though, season is over.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 9:28 am [Chargers Head Coach] Brandon Staley gets away with it again......
Hey laffite! At the moment and at the end of the 1st quarter of tonight's MNF game, the Chargers are rollin' along against the Jets and by taking advantage of Jets fumbles and by scoring a TD on a punt return. The score starting the second quarter is now 14-0.

And so my question here is: How do you think the Chargers will end up blowin' it and losin' this baby tonight???

LOL

And 'cause if there was ANY team with a history of doin' just THAT--"Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory" as they say--and REGARDLESS who their head coach was or is, it sure has always been the Chargers, RIGHT?! ;)

(...btw...my guess is that after the Jets rally and make a comeback in this thing, the Chargers will fumble on the goal line just as they're about to score the go ahead/winning TD with under a minute to play and it'll be run all the way back for a Jets TD)

LOL...some more now
Last edited by Dargo on November 6th, 2023, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 9:12 pm
laffite wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 9:28 am [Chargers Head Coach] Brandon Staley gets away with it again......
Hey laffite! At the moment and at the end of the 1st quarter of tonight's MNF game, the Chargers are rollin' along against the Jets and by taking advantage the Jets fumbles and by scoring a TD on a punt return. The score starting the second quarter is now 14-0.

And so my question here is: How do you think the Chargers will end up losin' this baby tonight???

LOL

And 'cause if there was ANY team with a history of doin' just THAT--"Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory" as they say--and REGARDLESS who their head coach was or is, it sure has always been the Chargers, RIGHT?! ;)

(...btw...my guess is that they'll fumble at the Jets' goal line with under a minute to play and it'll be run all the way back for a Jets TD)

LOL...some more now
The Chargers offensive looks weak, but I don't know if the Jets can score over 20 points, thus making that give-me TD on the punt return the likely difference in the game.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 6th, 2023, 9:21 pm
Hey laffite! At the moment and at the end of the 1st quarter of tonight's MNF game, the Chargers are rollin' along against the Jets and by taking advantage the Jets fumbles and by scoring a TD on a punt return. The score starting the second quarter is now 14-0.

And so my question here is: How do you think the Chargers will end up losin' this baby tonight???

LOL

(...btw...my guess is that they'll fumble at the Jets' goal line with under a minute to play and it'll be run all the way back for a Jets TD)

LOL...some more now
The Chargers offensive looks weak, but I don't know if the Jets can score over 20 points, thus making that give-me TD on the punt return the likely difference in the game.
Good point.

However, I'm thinking because the punt return for the TD happened so early in the game, and because the Jets defense is likely to begin playing better as the game progresses, AND that because even Zach Wilson is also likely to begin playing better as the game progresses IF and/or when the Chargers defense begins to tire, this game's final score is STILL very much up for grabs here.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

THANK GOODNESS...Chris Berman and that big bellowing, blustery, gruff and irritating voice of his is ONLY on my TV for that "Fastest 3 minutes" recap of the Sunday games on network sports broadcasts now days. The dude has NEVER credited his "He could go all the way" line to whom originated it...Howard Cosell.

(...and mind you, THIS comin' from a guy--me--who usually enjoys and appreciates punny references made by the TV talking heads)
Last edited by Dargo on November 6th, 2023, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hey laffite! At the moment and at the end of the 1st quarter of tonight's MNF game, the Chargers are rollin' along against the Jets and by taking advantage of Jets fumbles and by scoring a TD on a punt return. The score starting the second quarter is now 14-0.

And so my question here is: How do you think the Chargers will end up blowin' it and losin' this baby tonight???

LOL

(...btw...my guess is that after the Jets rally and make a comeback in this thing, the Chargers will fumble on the goal line just as they're about to score the go ahead/winning TD with under a minute to play and it'll be run all the way back for a Jets TD)

LOL...some more now
I am actually watching the Bruins-Stars hockey game, but I have my eye on the Charger game. I'm recording both on the DVR. If Brandon baby or the team itself makes any enormous gaffes then I will be ecstatic and review them by playback. It is my most fervent hope that the Charger will every lose every game they play until Brandon is relieved of his duties. In real life, I don't anyone to lose their job but as a sports fan I am most justified. I would have fired him minutes after Game 3 when he made arguably the dumbest decision in history by attempting a fourth and one ON THEIR OWN 20-YARD LINE instead of doing what any coach on any team and in any era would do and that is punting the ball. A cowardly and demented front office did not fire him as we know but then he turned around and did virtually the same thing the following week only this time THE BALL WAS ON THEIR OWN 40. Aikman said earlier in tonight's game that Zach Wilson was not performing as befitting a NFL quarterback and I say that Brandon Staley has not performed as befitting a NFL coach, and me and Troy are both right. I know less about Zack the Brandon but I will take his word for it. I notice that Brandy Boy has shaved his mustache so I guess he has given up on the idea that the mustache makes him look intelligent and mature which of course failed to make him look that way at all, and now he looks like a 12-year-old which is his exact mental age. The last time I looked it was 14-3 at the 2 minute warning. I am hoping for anything that will result in a Charger loss, but it will be more satisfying if is directly due to some further egregious stupidity from this imbecile.
"Desire" (1936)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Surprisingly, the Chargers defense is playing very well at the moment...during the opening minutes of the 2nd half. They've just sacked Wilson twice on 2nd and 3rd down while the Jets were driving and just inside their red zone, resulting in only a field goal for 'em.

It now looks as if the Chargers can muster a drive and a TD and before the Jets do, the game might indeed be out of reach for the Jets.

(...there's still plenty of game left though, of course)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 10:15 pm Surprisingly, the Chargers defense is playing very well at the moment...during the opening minutes of the 2nd half. They've just sacked Wilson twice on 2nd and 3rd down while the Jets were driving and just inside their red zone, resulting in only a field goal for 'em.

It now looks as if the Chargers can muster a drive and a TD and before the Jets do, the game might indeed be out of reach for the Jets.

Yeah, it may mean that even Brandon Staley can't blow it from here.
"Desire" (1936)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Yep, Zach Wilson has just fumbled again and which has led to another Charger TD.

Game over, pretty much.

Poor Zach. He really didn't have a chance with his makeshift offense line.

(...good offensive line play, the unsung but most important part of any football team, always being the key to any victory)
laffite

Post by laffite »

And a cryptic note here, given that the NHL probably has no following, but the Boston Bruins (now 10-1-1) defeated the Dallas Stars (now 7-3-1) by a score of 3-2. Who remembers in The Mouse that Roared (1959) a television announcer in the movie reporting news items, probably stuff that was happening in the movie when suddenly he announced the following item: "The New York Yankees defeated the Milwaukee Braves 6-2 to win the World Series" after which the announcer assumed a distracted and contemptuous countenance that seemed to say, who put that there as if it was the most frivolous news item that ever could be.. I got a somewhat muted kick out of that because my beloved Milwaukee Braves lost after having defeated the Yankees by winning the seventh game of the 1957 World Series. That terrible '58 loss, the biggest disappointment in my young life as a baseball fan has been eternised by its evocation in a damn movie. AUURRRRGH !!!
"Desire" (1936)
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 10:15 pm Surprisingly, the Chargers defense is playing very well at the moment...during the opening minutes of the 2nd half. They've just sacked Wilson twice on 2nd and 3rd down while the Jets were driving and just inside their red zone, resulting in only a field goal for 'em.

Yea, the edge rushing of the Chargers lead by Bosa and Mack has finally come alive, and this is impacting Sacked Wilson.

While the Chargers offensive is still weak (I say due mainly to Coach Stanley), their defense was able to secure this win.
laffite

Post by laffite »

The Los Angeles Chargers are turning into a Side Show.
"Desire" (1936)
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: December 15th, 2023, 3:54 am The Los Angeles Chargers are turning into a Side Show.
The Raiders score ZERO points in their previous game against the Vikings and then lead The Chargers 42 - zero at halftime!
laffite

Post by laffite »

The final score, 63-21, is a scorigami. There was another, 11-8, this year. And probably Miami over Denver, 70-20, is another.

I have a queasy feeling that the C are going to keep BS.
"Desire" (1936)