SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

Surprisingly, the Chargers defense is playing very well at the moment...during the opening minutes of the 2nd half. They've just sacked Wilson twice on 2nd and 3rd down while the Jets were driving and just inside their red zone, resulting in only a field goal for 'em.

It now looks as if the Chargers can muster a drive and a TD and before the Jets do, the game might indeed be out of reach for the Jets.

(...there's still plenty of game left though, of course)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 10:15 pm Surprisingly, the Chargers defense is playing very well at the moment...during the opening minutes of the 2nd half. They've just sacked Wilson twice on 2nd and 3rd down while the Jets were driving and just inside their red zone, resulting in only a field goal for 'em.

It now looks as if the Chargers can muster a drive and a TD and before the Jets do, the game might indeed be out of reach for the Jets.

Yeah, it may mean that even Brandon Staley can't blow it from here.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Yep, Zach Wilson has just fumbled again and which has led to another Charger TD.

Game over, pretty much.

Poor Zach. He really didn't have a chance with his makeshift offense line.

(...good offensive line play, the unsung but most important part of any football team, always being the key to any victory)
laffite

Post by laffite »

And a cryptic note here, given that the NHL probably has no following, but the Boston Bruins (now 10-1-1) defeated the Dallas Stars (now 7-3-1) by a score of 3-2. Who remembers in The Mouse that Roared (1959) a television announcer in the movie reporting news items, probably stuff that was happening in the movie when suddenly he announced the following item: "The New York Yankees defeated the Milwaukee Braves 6-2 to win the World Series" after which the announcer assumed a distracted and contemptuous countenance that seemed to say, who put that there as if it was the most frivolous news item that ever could be.. I got a somewhat muted kick out of that because my beloved Milwaukee Braves lost after having defeated the Yankees by winning the seventh game of the 1957 World Series. That terrible '58 loss, the biggest disappointment in my young life as a baseball fan has been eternised by its evocation in a damn movie. AUURRRRGH !!!
The Shining Hour (1938)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 10:15 pm Surprisingly, the Chargers defense is playing very well at the moment...during the opening minutes of the 2nd half. They've just sacked Wilson twice on 2nd and 3rd down while the Jets were driving and just inside their red zone, resulting in only a field goal for 'em.

Yea, the edge rushing of the Chargers lead by Bosa and Mack has finally come alive, and this is impacting Sacked Wilson.

While the Chargers offensive is still weak (I say due mainly to Coach Stanley), their defense was able to secure this win.
laffite

Post by laffite »

The Los Angeles Chargers are turning into a Side Show.
The Shining Hour (1938)
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: December 15th, 2023, 3:54 am The Los Angeles Chargers are turning into a Side Show.
The Raiders score ZERO points in their previous game against the Vikings and then lead The Chargers 42 - zero at halftime!
laffite

Post by laffite »

The final score, 63-21, is a scorigami. There was another, 11-8, this year. And probably Miami over Denver, 70-20, is another.

I have a queasy feeling that the C are going to keep BS.
The Shining Hour (1938)
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: December 15th, 2023, 3:47 pm The final score, 63-21, is a scorigami. There was another, 11-8, this year. And probably Miami over Denver, 70-20, is another.

I have a queasy feeling that the C are going to keep BS.
You can stop being queasy. Both the coach and GM were fired.
laffite

Post by laffite »

My picks for the Wild Card games...

Cleveland over Houston (24-21)
KC over Miami (24-20)
Buffalo over Pitt (31-21)
LAR over Detroit (31-28)
Dallas over GB (45-21)
Phil over TB (31-14)

straight up, no spread

My picks above are all favor the top seeds with the exception of Rams-Lions.

The favorite for the Super Bowl probably is one of the two first round byes, Not only do they have the best records but they get to play one less game. New Rule : No more first round bye, let them play like the rest. Good idea, Yes?

Okay, ladies and gentlemen,
Last edited by laffite on January 13th, 2024, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shining Hour (1938)
laffite

Post by laffite »

deleted by laffite
Last edited by laffite on January 13th, 2024, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:31 pm The KC-Miami will be repeated on a normal NBC Network at 3pm on Sunday.

I will watch the morning game on Saturday and then simply wait until Sunday and view KC-Miami.

Then go back and watched the Sunday games as they will all be recorded.

I see what has happened. The game was contracted by NBC and would have ordinarily aired on the regular NBC Network, but NBC is being really shitty airing the exclusively on their Peacock Streaming Service and presumably with the consent of the NFL. They make the game unavailable for millions to promote Peacock. If you think you can get around this by simply going for the seven-day trial period, forget it ; they are not offering it. You must subscribe to Peacock and you can cancel in one month. It's $5.99 per month, which is not bad. Unless they some unforseen glitch, the bastards.
Yeah, I know what ya mean here, laffite.

Yep, and with "NBC's Bottom Line" notably missing from the above graphic here.

(...btw, I think that Rams-Lions game will be the best of the weekend...certainly the most interesting anyway, and considering the QB swap of a few years back)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 3:06 pm
laffite wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:31 pm The KC-Miami will be repeated on a normal NBC Network at 3pm on Sunday.

I will watch the morning game on Saturday and then simply wait until Sunday and view KC-Miami.

Then go back and watched the Sunday games as they will all be recorded.

I see what has happened. The game was contracted by NBC and would have ordinarily aired on the regular NBC Network, but NBC is being really shitty airing the exclusively on their Peacock Streaming Service and presumably with the consent of the NFL. They make the game unavailable for millions to promote Peacock. If you think you can get around this by simply going for the seven-day trial period, forget it ; they are not offering it. You must subscribe to Peacock and you can cancel in one month. It's $5.99 per month, which is not bad. Unless they some unforseen glitch, the bastards.
Yeah, I know what ya mean here, laffite.

Yep, and with "NBC's Bottom Line" notably missing from the above graphic here.

(...btw, I think that Rams-Lions game will be the best of the weekend...certainly the most interesting anyway, and considering the QB swap of a few years back)
They also attempt to suck up new subscribers at the expense of millions of deprived patrons via a dubious business practice. Loyal fans have buttressed the entire football industry with their fandom. Yes, it is true that they just want watch football and care a fig with what network, yet let's not penalize them in this way. The NFL is probably more responsible than Peacock. A-holes. They have (literally) sold us out.

Nice chart, Dargo. You are Johnny on the spot with things like this.

Let's hope that a dolphin is mightier that an Chief. Hmmm, that's a touch sell. :smiley_chinrub:
The Shining Hour (1938)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Remember who owns Peacock: Comcast!
There is a rewards program from Comcast and you can get Peacock with commercials for free.
https://www.xfinity.com/rewards
I'm a TV/Internet customer but you probably only have to be an Internet customer.
I recently read the Super Bowl will be in 4K on CBS for the first time this year. Of course CBS is not in 4K on TV channels for the most part. Guess that means CBS Sports or Paramount+.
I kinda think 4K of any kind is still pretty rare.
Reminds me of the 1984 Olympics being broadcast in TV stereo and next to no one had it.
I go way back to AM stereo and had it in my car.
SF Giants baseball was interesting. The sound from the crowd was noticably in stereo sound.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:02 pm ...I go way back to AM stereo and had it in my car.
SF Giants baseball was interesting. The sound from the crowd was noticably in stereo sound.
Yeah, but AM stereo still could never bring to the radio listening audience how freakin' cool and damp the old Candlestick Park was during a twilight doubleheader, huh jimimac! ;)