Mississippi Mermaid (1969) on TCM tonight

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Mississippi Mermaid (1969) on TCM tonight

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

There’s something different about Julie. It’s not just her hair, but her entire features. She has no key to her trunks. When her beloved canary dies, she shows little interest. All this would be of no consequence if Louis didn’t feel he knew her already, as they had been exchanging letters for some time.

As the owner of a tobacco factory, Louis (Jean Paul Belmondo) is a rich man. Seeking a wife, he has finally resorted to mail order correspondence in his search for the perfect woman. When Julie Roussel (Catherine Deneuve) appears, she looks nothing like her photograph. Other discrepancies follow and before Louis knows what’s happening, she has emptied his bank account and made off with his entire fortune.

This is only the beginning of Francis Truffaut’s tale of obsession and the power of love. Although this film has been categorized as “Hitchcockian”(and does have some elements of Vertigo [1958] and Marnie [1964]), it owes much more to one of Tuffaut’s other idols: Jean Renoir, to whom the film is dedicated. Savvy fans will note the similar ending to La Grande Illusion (1937), parallels with La Chienne (1931), and more. There is also a strong connection to Joseph H. Lewis’ Gun Crazy (1949). Tuffaut is also a fan of movies like us and loves to share scenes and billboards of his favorite films throughout.

Deneuve is brilliant as the icy blonde who is beautiful, unattainable, and incapable of love—or so she thinks. Belmondo is the man who will do anything for her—even if it means his death at her hand. The American title is wasted here as the French (La Sierene du Mississippi) more closely aligns the female character with the traditional Greek Siren, luring sailors to the rocks and ultimately their demise. Truffaut’s femme fatale is not impregnable though, and his hero is not of the typical Noir persuasion. In another’s hands, this film could turn melodramatic mush or predictable crime. Truffaut keeps us guessing about his characters motivations and provides stunning camerawork and cinematography. He also uses visuals more often than words, giving us the chance to decipher what’s important here. There is one scene towards the end that I won’t give away, where one of the characters realizes their dire situation simply by reading a cartoon.

Mississippi Mermaid has not achieved the status of Truffaut’s 400 Blows (1959) or Jules and Jim (1962), but it’s definitely one of his most enjoyable works and a great introduction to a man whose love of movies was so intense that he had to become a filmmaker, but never stopped being a fan. In that sense, we share kinship with him and perhaps this explains why his films touch us so deeply.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on January 20th, 2008, 6:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

A beautiful and relatively unheralded film, Arkadin, and one of my favorites of Truffaut's many great films. It's also worth noting that it is based on a novel called "Waltz Into Darkness" by none other than the king of noir himself, Cornell Woolrich (writing under his pseudonym William Irish). A nice companion-piece to Truffaut's other Woolrich-based film THE BRIDE WORE BLACK.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hi Dewey, Bride is another great film made the year before this, and indeed a fine companion piece. I knew both books were written by Irish, but did not know that was a pseudonym for Woolrich. Thanks for the info. I learn something new everyday around here.

I would like to discuss other elements of the film, particularly the Gun Crazy/Femme Fatale points, but don't want to give the film away to someone who might not have seen it yet. There is one funny thing that happens where Deneuve is removing her clothes in an open topped auto and a passing motorist takes his eyes off the road and runs into a pole! A humorous but revealing foreshadowing of Deneuves' darker nature.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I like this movie I have it on dvd and I'm glad TCM is showing it. The only problem I have is with Belmondo, who I have never warmed to as actor or been impressed by. I would have preferred someone else, but it's ok, Deneuve is good enough for both. And the locations are best of all. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Is it in English or French? I will stay up if it's English, otherwise - Belmondo turns me off like a hot water faucet.

Anne'
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

It's French.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

1. Truffaut is a director that I'm lukewarm about -- loved SMALL CHANGE and SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER, but never quite understood the fuss over THE 400 BLOWS and JULES AND JIM. Add in the other films of his I've seen and I'm left with no strong like or dislike.

2. I have been trying to collect the films based on Cornell Woolrich's works, so despite my feelings toward Truffaut, when Facets was having it's warehouse sale a month or two ago, I bought MISSISSIPPI MERMAID on VHS for $0.75.

Based on the posts, I popped the tape in this afternoon and was very pleased. Deneuve is not who I think of when it comes to a femme fatale, but in this she is with Peggy Cummins and Ms. Stanwyck. The GUN CRAZY shot -- or, should I say -- the mirror-image of the GUN CRAZY shot was wonderful. Two other shots bowled me over: (a) Belmondo ripping Deneuve's white undergarments and throwing them into the fireplace (one doesn't have to be Dr. Freud , or even Hitchcock, for that), and (b) Belmondo, in his houndstooth coat, backing up against -- and disappearing into -- the lace curtains.

Jean Renoir need not be afraid...but he should have been pleased.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I also find a Gun Crazy connection in the fact that she is sexually awakened by his murdering prowess. As in GC, a gun definitely is a phallic substitute here.