Noir Alley

jamesjazzguitar

Re: Noir Alley

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

ElCid wrote: December 17th, 2023, 3:05 pm I had seen Beware, My Lovely before and didn't care for it much. Watched it again this morning, but still don't care for it. I don't think the 1918 setting did much for or against the movie. Although I did wonder how a single widow supported herself since I doubt there was any war widow's pension of much value and teaching piano to kids wouldn't pay much. Of course she also had a boarder, but still.
I like Ida Lupino and Robert Ryan, but somehow this movie just doesn't make it for me.
Guess we will have to wait for 2024 to see the next Noir Alley.
Thanks for setting the time period of the film. I haven't seen it in a long time and recalled that the time period was a post-war, but I forgot which war!
Andree

Post by Andree »

I've seen it before two or three times. Howard must be one of the most annoying psychos around. He's like the
party guest who won't go home who also happens to be a nutcase. His one-man crazy show just goes on far
too long and one begins to lose interest in what happens. Just get rid of this guy. I felt sorry for Helen, both
for the real threat Howie poses and for his never ending monologues. The 1918 setting helps a bit, but nothing
can withstand his marathon talking jag. I suppose the ending was a bit ambiguous. I just figured the telephone
repair man called the cops and they have come to finally take Howard away. And put him into a nice jail cell
where he can gab to his heart's content. And he's some handyman. He spent five minutes polishing the floor
and the rest of the time yapping.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 15th, 2023, 2:22 pm
Hibi wrote: December 15th, 2023, 11:25 am More like a woman in distress film! Victorian style.
Woman in distress film, for sure, but I'm not following the Victorian style comment. If I recall correctly the time period is the 50s, in a mid-sized American town.

(now Ladies in Retirement is Victorian style).
The 50s??? I was a little off. Not sure what period 1918 is considered. I just remembered Ida's long skirts!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: December 17th, 2023, 9:07 pm I've seen it before two or three times. Howard must be one of the most annoying psychos around. He's like the
party guest who won't go home who also happens to be a nutcase. His one-man crazy show just goes on far
too long and one begins to lose interest in what happens. Just get rid of this guy. I felt sorry for Helen, both
for the real threat Howie poses and for his never ending monologues. The 1918 setting helps a bit, but nothing
can withstand his marathon talking jag. I suppose the ending was a bit ambiguous. I just figured the telephone
repair man called the cops and they have come to finally take Howard away. And put him into a nice jail cell
where he can gab to his heart's content. And he's some handyman. He spent five minutes polishing the floor
and the rest of the time yapping.
LOL!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I'd seen the film before several times, but not in a long time. I think it's a pretty good film, thanks to the 2 leads. Ryan is really menacing, yet he creates empathy in the viewer (even though he could break Ida's neck at any moment) for his character. One imagines his life was full of incidents like the bratty niece taunting him. Ida is very good too. Just the right note of controlled hysteria.

As for that niece, I envisioned her in the future becoming a 20s flapper and then an unwed mother and a life that she deserved! UGH.
I never realized that actress was Margaret Whiting's sister!

The film's time period is interesting. You don't normally see a woman in distress film set in that period. Gaslight comes to mind, but I can't think of too many others.

The real crime here is Eddie going on hiatus for the holidays!!! Like dark things don't happen in the world during this time????
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays Noir-istas and Afico-Noir-dos. Noir we've never seen

A Nice montage of beautiful Jenny Karezi in Greek Christmas Noir - Ta Kokkina Fanaria - The Red Lanterns (1963) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sf7y9i3cr8

And My list of Christmas and Holiday set Noir here:
https://noirsville.blogspot.com/2022/12 ... -with.html
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

I get TCM through Hulu and I couldn't access BEWARE MY LOVELY. I called Hulu and there was a rights issue that prevented them from showing it. This is the first time this has happened. My guess is it may happen again. Anyway, I was disappointed as it looked like it was going to be a decent noir. Has anyone else had this problem?
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Hoganman1 wrote: December 20th, 2023, 11:11 am I get TCM through Hulu and I couldn't access BEWARE MY LOVELY. I called Hulu and there was a rights issue that prevented them from showing it. This is the first time this has happened. My guess is it may happen again. Anyway, I was disappointed as it looked like it was going to be a decent noir. Has anyone else had this problem?
Beware, My Lovely (1952) is one of the titles that was also blocked in Canada.

I noticed that Blast of Silence (1961), which was broadcast Monday evening, was blocked from streaming live on WatchTCM, so I wonder if it was blocked on Hulu as well. (Blast of Silence is a noir film that Eddie featured in 2021.) However, Blast of Silence was shown on cable in Canada this year.

Streaming rights in general seem to be a mess. It must be difficult for TCM to keep everything straight.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

cmovieviewer wrote: December 20th, 2023, 12:17 pm
Hoganman1 wrote: December 20th, 2023, 11:11 am I get TCM through Hulu and I couldn't access BEWARE MY LOVELY. I called Hulu and there was a rights issue that prevented them from showing it. This is the first time this has happened. My guess is it may happen again. Anyway, I was disappointed as it looked like it was going to be a decent noir. Has anyone else had this problem?

I noticed that Blast of Silence (1961), which was broadcast Monday evening, was blocked from streaming live on WatchTCM, so I wonder if it was blocked on Hulu as well. (Blast of Silence is a noir film that Eddie featured in 2021.) However, Blast of Silence was shown on cable in Canada this year.

Streaming rights in general seem to be a mess. It must be difficult for TCM to keep everything straight.
It was blocked on YouTubeTV, so I'm guessing the same with Hulu live TV.

It's a case where the law doesn't adequately cover modern technology. The only difference between watching TCM via cable and watching it live on a service like YouTubeTV is the underlying delivery of the bits and bytes from the source to the subscriber's TV. The laws need updating. More and more cable companies are ditching their own video service and directing folks to a streamer like Hulu or YouTubeTV.

Not noir, but the Rudolph and Frosty annual specials on CBS were also blocked from live TV streaming platforms.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Jan 06 and Noir Alley returns with Pickup. This one is a Hugo Haas production in which he also stars. Not sure if I have seen it, but not a Hugo that I remember if I have. Be interesting to hear what Eddie has to say about it.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

ElCid wrote: January 6th, 2024, 6:37 pm Jan 06 and Noir Alley returns with Pickup. This one is a Hugo Haas production in which he also stars. Not sure if I have seen it, but not a Hugo that I remember if I have. Be interesting to hear what Eddie has to say about it.
I watched Eddie and Pickup, the first Hugo Haas production for Columbia. It was interesting and a hoot, low budget film. I liked that the film didn't spend time on aspects of the plot, but just keep the story moving along. E.g. gal gets thrown out of her apartment. Next scene there is wedding music, and we see the aftermath of a wedding party!
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on January 8th, 2024, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

txfilmfan wrote: December 20th, 2023, 3:36 pm
cmovieviewer wrote: December 20th, 2023, 12:17 pm

It was blocked on YouTubeTV, so I'm guessing the same with Hulu live TV.

It's a case where the law doesn't adequately cover modern technology. The only difference between watching TCM via cable and watching it live on a service like YouTubeTV is the underlying delivery of the bits and bytes from the source to the subscriber's TV. The laws need updating. More and more cable companies are ditching their own video service and directing folks to a streamer like Hulu or YouTubeTV.

Not noir, but the Rudolph and Frosty annual specials on CBS were also blocked from live TV streaming platforms.
I have held out moving to streaming and still only have cable television. It costs more but streaming is right on its heels.
Way back on the old forum, Miss W. was rather vocal when Noir Alley didn't show in Canada.
I agree that TV is TV and it now depends on what kind of wire you use to receive the channels.
So Rudy and Frosty have been Black Listed from streaming? Gee, that's just stupid.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Watched Pickup and around about the middle it got boring, but then it picked back up. Probably not a movie I would watch again. Beverly Michaels did give a good performance as a trashy girl. Then there was Miss America 1952(?)
I have One Girl's Confession on DVD, starring Cleo Moore with Hugo Haas as star, director, producer and maybe writer. Much better than Pickup, but that may be due to Cleo Moore.
May have to do a search for Hugo Haas movies and see what pops up.
Eddie's outros and intros are on YouTube if any one missed them.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Andree

Post by Andree »

So Haas wagered $85,000 on Americans having a taste for sleaze? How could he miss. While it's the old wife
trying to bump off hubby for the money and using her boy toy to do the dirty deed plot, what's different in
this one is nobody is killed. The boyfriend chickens out and the wife packs her suitcase and leaves. It was
kind of good to see nobody getting killed for a change. I imagine that might be the reason Beverly is not punished
at the end. No harm, no foul. Liked the professor, I've nicked a few books from the library, but not as many as
him. Fairly entertaining, though the psychosomatic deafness was kind of screwy. Maybe when Bev thinks things
over she'll figure out there was no divorce and maybe she can squeeze a few more bucks out of Hunky/Czechy.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky