I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:30 pm

On a more felicitious note, I started looking at Barbra Streisand 's autobiography, which is almost as big as a doorstop at 969 pages, but it is extremely interesting and every word radiates her unmistakable spirit. The book interweaves her work with singing, film work, the stage, politics, and her personal life. I admit that I find the material relating to films to be the most interesting, but its a well handled book.
I have been listening to the audiobook version of the autobiography, read by Barbra Streisand herself.
It had me from the prologue where she referenced her description as an "amiable anteater" in a review of her Broadway stage performance of I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE.

What a treat to listen to!

Besides the wonderful history, her asides are delightful, such as the lousy potatoes at the Jewish summer camp in the Catskills that she attended at age eight.

The first chapter recounts her introduction to her step-father Louis Kind.
Ouch!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:45 pm

On a more felicitious note, I started looking at Barbra Streisand 's autobiography, which is almost as big as a doorstop at 969 pages, but it is extremely interesting and every word radiates her unmistakable spirit. The book interweaves her work with singing, film work, the stage, politics, and her personal life. I admit that I find the material relating to films to be the most interesting, but its a well handled book.
I have been listening to the audiobook version of the autobiography, read by Barbra Streisand herself.
It had me from the prologue where she referenced her description as an "amiable anteater" in a review of her Broadway stage performance of I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE.

What a treat to listen to!

Besides the wonderful history, her asides are delightful, such as the lousy potatoes at the Jewish summer camp in the Catskills that she attended at age eight.

The first chapter recounts her introduction to her step-father Louis Kind.
Ouch!
I'm looking forward to reading it. Does she write about Pins and Needles? I find that to be one of her most enjoyable recordings, particularly her rendition of "Nobody Makes a Pass at Me."
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:46 pm
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND her COFFEE TABLE DESIGN BOOK about HER INFAMOUS CLIFFSIDE MALIBU HOME. She has a lake. She has a water mill. She has a PRESIDENTIAL SUITE. She has A MALL IN THE BASEMENT.

...I'm thinking she also has a PADDED CELL for the occasional complete snap with reality.

She matches the sofa...
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I just now remembered, and I’m being 100% serious here:

my aunt and uncle’s dog’s sister is one of Barbra Streisand’s dogs.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Jealous of my star connection?
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

She’s a purebred Coton de Tulear or bichon frise, or something like that, looks a lot like the dog in that photo with Babs.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lorna wrote: January 12th, 2024, 6:03 pm I just now remembered, and I’m being 100% serious here:

my aunt and uncle’s dog’s sister is one of Barbra Streisand’s dogs.
Lorna, I don't want to get into any further trouble for dropping names, but along the lines of what you just mentioned:

My dog was the half sister of a dog that belonged to Lainie Kazan's aunt. (My mother got our dog from the sister of a friend, who had given a dog from a previous litter to Lainie Kazan's aunt).
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

NETWORK (1976) This movie hooks me at any point I happen to come upon it, like last night. :smiley_worship:

umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 10th, 2024, 2:25 pm
Lorna wrote: January 10th, 2024, 12:28 pm also also, for them to charge twice the price, you think CRITERION would start producing some actual documentaries instead of using those VIDEO ESSAYS.

Also also, there is a CRITERION CHANNEL that you can stream for a monthly cost of something like $12.00...$14?
That Criterion streaming service is .... Bothersome. It seems you can only run it if you use it on an internet-connected TV. It does not work on an actual computer monitor. I wasted some money that way not knowing. Sigh.
I watch 99% of my movies on the Criterion Channel on my web browser on my computer. I use the latest version of Chrome. Perhaps there is some technical issue that is preventing this for you.

I also can watch on any of my TVs that I have Amazon Fire, but prefer to watch movies in a room where I can watch without interruption. I use Watch TCM from this computer too.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

JULES (2023) Loved it.

Masha

Post by Masha »

Queen Kong (1976)

A sadistic movie director shanghaies a feckless young Englishman named Ray Fay to be the star of her epic movie to be filmed on the island of Lazanga where they do the Konga.

This movie is simply silly in all regards. It lacks the joie de vivre to be a bit of fluff or a gleeful romp but is never believably serious. I found it amusing but did not laugh at any point.

Sample of the wit:
Ray Fay: Lazanga where they do the Konga?
Luce Habit: Our destination, where no Englishman has ever set foot!
Ray Fay: Why has no Englishman ever set foot there?
Luce Habit: Full of Australians.

6.8/11

This movie is available for viewing for free with commercials on: TubiTV.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

scsu1975 wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:44 pm Bank of Dave (2023, Netflix)

My wife and I were searching for something to watch, and took a chance on this. I can't remember the last time we both smiled during almost the entirety of any movie.

Based on an actual event, the film follows the efforts of Dave Fishwick, who wants to start his own community bank in the British town of Burnley. Naturally the big bad bankers in London want to quash his dream and throw up some roadblocks. But with the help of a young lawyer, the townspeople, and Def Leppard (yes, you heard right), Dave fights back.

This is a delightful film filled with engaging performances, humor, and a very good story. Except for one or two f-words (which the viewer may hardly notice) this is suitable for all ages. No sex, no violence, just good old-fashioned entertainment. Very highly recommended.

saw last nite....enjoyed this Capraesque Brit flick :)
thanks for recommending, Rich :smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

ziggy6708a wrote: January 13th, 2024, 6:48 pm thanks for recommending, Rich :smilie_happy_thumbup:
Yup, gonna watch it too-THANKS!
I requested JULES too, but I'm #15 in line at the library. I can wait.

I'm also going to sign up for my library's audio streaming so I too can listen to the Streisand autobiography-THANKS Holden!

Since I cut the cord, I've been listening to NPR while I work all day. Even NPR has become so overtly political, I can no longer listen. I very much enjoyed listening to TCMs Podcasts while working, so am giving audio books a try.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE BOSTON STRANGLER (1968) TONY CURTIS may give his best performance in this interesting... fiction? This maybe the only film I can think of where split-screen is used effectively. A mixed bag,,,

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

txfilmfan wrote: January 12th, 2024, 5:41 pm
Lorna wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:46 pm
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND her COFFEE TABLE DESIGN BOOK about HER INFAMOUS CLIFFSIDE MALIBU HOME. She has a lake. She has a water mill. She has a PRESIDENTIAL SUITE. She has A MALL IN THE BASEMENT.

...I'm thinking she also has a PADDED CELL for the occasional complete snap with reality.

She matches the sofa...
In her autobiography Barbra describes a memory from her childhood that she thinks explains why she loves the color pink.

She also recounts a childhood memory that she think may be the reason she hates the color royal blue.