MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: January 13th, 2024, 11:43 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 10:24 pm Remember the Carvel birthday cakes? With that whale?

Who gets the titles of these submarine films mixed up -- UP PERISCOPE, RUN SILENT RUN DEEP and DESTINATION TOKYO?
Bronxie, I always get RUN SILENT RUN DEEP mixed up with THE DEEP SIX and THE ENEMY BELOW. I know I've seen the first two, but can't recall if I've seen the third. RUN SILENT has Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster (good film) and THE DEEP SIX has Alan Ladd and Dianne Foster (not quite so good), and as for THE ENEMY BELOW . . . .

They're all so confusing, and I don't even like submarine movies. (or war films in general)

I get THE DEEP SIX title confused with that early talkie one about gangsters that I think had Jean Harlow in a very early role even before THE PUBLIC ENEMY. Something with SIX. Oy my poor aging noggin, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: January 17th, 2024, 1:10 am My husband and I both enjoyed THE ENEMY BELOW, with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens ideally cast as captains in this deadly chess match between an American destroyer and a German U-Boat. It's a little talky at first, but then it delivers on all the important matters. A solid film, with Dick Powell as director.

Alicia Malone correctly pointed out the importance of the sympathetic portrayal of the German captain. Alicia was wearing an interestingly draped green dress which unfortunately did not fit her well.

I saw just the opening of ANZIO (1968), the next film, which Alicia had mentioned as being anti-war. The opening scene introduces the "Most Americans are pigs" idea in "makes Stanley Kramer look subtle" style.

kingrat, is THE ENEMY BELOW the one where Curt Jurgens delivers an impassioned and conflicted speech in German to his own crew about "the Fatherland"?

(I like Alicia but find her fashion choices....interesting, lol)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: January 14th, 2024, 10:58 am
Detective Jim McLeod wrote: January 14th, 2024, 9:12 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 10:24 pm Remember the Carvel birthday cakes? With that whale?

Who gets the titles of these submarine films mixed up -- UP PERISCOPE, RUN SILENT RUN DEEP and DESTINATION TOKYO?

I remember those Carvel commercials, Tom Carvel had the worst voice for a TV pitchman.
Couldn't have been any worse than the ambulance-chasing lawyer Larry H. Parker who has been all over the California airwaves for many years telling people he'll "fight for you".

(...THIS guy's nasally voice makes even Ben Mankiewicz's sound pleasantly resonant by comparison)

I remember used car salesman Cal Worthington's voice on television when I lived in L.A. He was very annoying. Then there was also this odd looking preacher guy (the name does not come to my mind) who sounded weird. They were both from the late 1970's.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 12:37 am
I remember used car salesman Cal Worthington's voice on television when I lived in L.A. He was very annoying. Then there was also this odd looking preacher guy (the name does not come to my mind) who sounded weird. They were both from the late 1970's.
I'll bet you might be referring to Robert Schuller here, Bronxie...

He built that enormous and modern designed church called the "Crystal Cathedral" out in Orange County...

This agnostic here (me) remembers going to see their elaborately staged Christmas pageant they put on there every year, a couple of times back in the '80s.

(...hey, it even had live camels in it...my mother was always especially impressed by that for some reason) LOL
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Nope, Dargo, it wasn't Schuller.

The guy I'm thinking of was not "normal" looking at all; I seem to have a vague memory of him speaking in a sort of lockjaw way. His teeth when bared seemed like something out of a horror movie.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

It's coming back to me --

GENE SCOTT!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 1:19 am It's coming back to me --

GENE SCOTT!
OH yeah! I remember that guy too.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Guys, I have to tell you something wonderful!

I no longer need to mute the BM intros and outros!

It was an ephiphany!

I simply decided to NOT CARE if the man made himself sound ridiculous and embarrassing! I determined that it would not annoy or upset me because in reality I had no emotional investment or expectations in this individual.

The test? I listened to: "Imagine if Deborah Kerr pronounced her name as "Kir". Then Louis B. Mayer would have had to exclaim "Deborah Kir, it rhymes with stir".

I did not react at all. My blood pressure did not rise. I was impervious, impassive!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: January 25th, 2024, 1:26 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 1:19 am It's coming back to me --

GENE SCOTT!
OH yeah! I remember that guy too.

Yep, that's him!!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 1:31 am Guys, I have to tell you something wonderful!

I no longer need to mute the BM intros and outros!

It was an ephiphany!

I simply decided to NOT CARE if the man made himself sound ridiculous and embarrassing! I determined that it would not annoy or upset me because in reality I had no emotional investment or expectations in this individual.

The test? I listened to: "Imagine if Deborah Kerr pronounced her name as "Kir". Then Louis B. Mayer would have had to exclaim "Deborah Kir, it rhymes with stir".

I did not react at all. My blood pressure did not rise. I was impervious, impassive!
Why am I now thinking of a certain Pink Floyd song here, I wonder?!

LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 12:37 am I remember used car salesman Cal Worthington's voice on television when I lived in L.A. He was very annoying. Then there was also this odd looking preacher guy (the name does not come to my mind) who sounded weird. They were both from the late 1970's.
Cal Worthington and his dog Spot! Haven't thought of those commercials in years!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LiamCasey wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:58 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 12:37 am I remember used car salesman Cal Worthington's voice on television when I lived in L.A. He was very annoying. Then there was also this odd looking preacher guy (the name does not come to my mind) who sounded weird. They were both from the late 1970's.
Cal Worthington and his dog Spot! Haven't thought of those commercials in years!
Ah, so then LC, do you remember who Cal was satirizing with those commercials of his?

I do. It was the commercials for another large car SoCal dealership (Brand Motors Ford City, and then later to become Ralph Williams Ford) that was a rival of Cal's, and with those commercials featuring their pitchman Chick Lambert...and his dog "Storm".

(...a German Shepherd)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hate to bring up the sore point of June Allyson, but she made a pretty embarrassing mistake at the 1958 Oscars. Her husband Dick Powell directed that film, and she was due to present the category where it received a nomination. Unfortunately, she must have left her reading glasses behind, because she opened the envelope and misread the title as "The Enema Below"
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Dargo wrote: January 25th, 2024, 7:01 pm
LiamCasey wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:58 pm
Ah, so then LC, do you remember who Cal was satirizing with those commercials of his?

I do. It was the commercials for another large car SoCal dealership (Brand Motors Ford City, and then later to become Ralph Williams Ford) that was a rival of Cal's, and with those commercials featuring their pitchman Chick Lambert...and his dog "Storm".

(...a German Shepherd)
Don't recall that one. But I only lived in California from 1984 to 1992 so maybe he was before then.