Dust off your six-shooters, choose the Top-Gun Western ever!

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Okay, here's a first draft, subject to multiple revisions.

1. Once Upon a Time in the West 1968
2. The Magnificent Seven 1960
3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 1966
4. Unforgiven 1992
5. Support Your Local Sheriff 1969
6. Rio Bravo 1959
7. The Mark of Zorro 1920
8. Destry Rides Again 1939
9. The Ox-Bow Incident 1943
10. For a Few Dollars More 1965
11. My Name is Nobody 1973
12. The Iron Horse 1924
13. Forty Guns 1957
14. The Professionals 1966
15. Tumbleweeds 1925
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman

Disappointed!

Post by movieman »

Hi!

This might be a bit on the side of this topic, but, I thought I'd tell you...

I got my DVD order from moviemars.com today.
I'd ordered these films:

Bend of the River
The Naked Spur
The Man from Laramie
Land of the Pharaohs

Imagine my big disappointment when i found a movie I hadn't ordered on top of the pile. It was the totally lame "comedy" "Amazon Women on the Moon" (1987). Somebody had managed to pick the wrong movie, and send me this one which was ordered by some Evan guy (my birthname is Even, but he had a totally different surname.)

I know the DVD net shops are run by people, and that they can make mistakes. But, think of that lucky guy who (maybe) got "The Man from Laramie" instead of that other pile of crap.

I've watched the "Amazon Women..." movie. I thought it might be a good one (at least I didn't have it in my collection). But, I was totally wrong! It's one of the lamest excuses for a parody comedy I've ever set eyes on!

Well, enough of my wining... I guess I'll have to see the Anthony Mann western another time... #?!!!**!#!!??!!

Luckily, the crap movie cost more than the Mann movie. So, I was spared paying too much for the s***, but one crappy movie is one too many!!!

Sincerely

a disappointed customer :cry:
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

movieman,
So I guess Amazon Women won't be making your top 15 westerns list then? I've always had pretty ggod luck with my mail orders but once I received three seasons of Lost in Space in place of a Marx Brothers set and an Abbott and Costello set. Not quite the same thing, though just as laugh inspiring at tmes.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman

Happy and pleased customer!!

Post by movieman »

My bad luck turned to good! I just looked in the mail box and what did I find? "The Man From Laramie"!

I now retract my negative comments concerning moviemars.com. They righted their wrong, and fast!

I can now consider the trash comedy a bonus, no matter how bad a bonus/movie it is. The movie has been onhored a place in my all time worst movie experiences list.

I'll now dust off my six-shooters and ride off to the wild west, and the upcoming list.

Sincerely

A very pleased customer :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

I was reluctant to participate because in spite of the fact that I like and enjoy westerns, they are not a favorite genre per-se.

Also, I haven't seen some pivotal westerns like "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "Shane", "Two Rode Together", "My Darling Cementine", "The Ox-Bow Incident" & many more.

On the other hand, as a kid I saw many westerns on Public TV Channels; most of the Boetticher-Randolph Scott films; some Joel McCrea's; many Jimmy Stewart and Anthony Mann's westerns; some of MGM's '50s westerns with Bob Taylor and Clark Gable ("Lone Star", "Accross the Wide Missouri"), but I do not remember them well at all.

There are also some rural dramas like "The Southerner" or "Easterns" like "Drums Along the Mohawk" and "The Last of the Mohicans", that I "feel" as if there were westerns, but which do not belong properly to the Genre.

My favorite westerns today:

1.- The Searchers (1956)
2.- The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)- Might not be properly a western, but for me it is and it's set in the West!
3.- The Plainsman (1936)
4.- Rio Bravo (1959)
5.- Red River (1948)
6.- The Fugitive (1947)
7.- Jesse James (1939)
8.- Destry Rides Again (1939)
9.- Rachel and the Stranger (1948)
10.- Fort Apache (1948)
11.- They Died with Their Boots On (1941)
12.- Duel in the Sun (1946)
13.- Johnny Guitar (1954)
14.- A Man Called Horse (1970)
15.- Vera Cruz (1954)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

TWO Gary Cooper westerns on your list, Bravissimo, Feo! :D
inglis

ya hoo

Post by inglis »

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Naked Spur
Rio Grande
The Searchers
Rio Lobo
Rio Bravo
TrueGrit
The Magnicent Seven
Shenandoah
The WildBunch
Once Upon A Time In The West
Night Passage
Winchester 73
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Stage Coach.I have so many favorites but these are what I will choose .
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hey Feaito:

With your wonderful insight, it's a shame you haven't been able to see some of the movies you listed. Don't feel too bad about Across the Wide Missouri, I don't think that's ever been on TCM. I'm not sure what studio made it and it isn't a very well known western.

Speaking of western, as the U.S. widened from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific, everything, by decades, was considered 'The West' if it was west of Chicago and St. Louis which were the unmarked end of civilization. So, in actuality, in the 1700's Pittsburgh was the wild west to the people of New York, and Virginia.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

mrsl wrote:Hey Feaito:

With your wonderful insight, it's a shame you haven't been able to see some of the movies you listed. Don't feel too bad about Across the Wide Missouri, I don't think that's ever been on TCM. I'm not sure what studio made it and it isn't a very well known western.
Actually, Across The Wide Missouri has been released on DVD by Warner France:

http://www.amazon.fr/Au-del%C3%A0-misso ... 485&sr=1-1

The film is very famous in France. The DVD transfer is beautiful. This picture was a MGM production. Alas, MGM butchered Wellman's original and recut it. It lost about 30 min... :( But, what's left is probably the most beautifully shot western ever. 8)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

mrsl wrote:
Speaking of western, as the U.S. widened from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific, everything, by decades, was considered 'The West' if it was west of Chicago and St. Louis which were the unmarked end of civilization.
Why did you use the past tense? Ever been to Rockford? :P
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:TWO Gary Cooper westerns on your list, Bravissimo, Feo! :D
You are right; I hadn't realized it.

Of his westerns I also like "Northwest Mounted Police" and "High Noon".
feaito

Post by feaito »

mrsl wrote:Hey Feaito:

Thanks for your kind words Anne.

I'd like to watch again "Across the Wide Missouri" and "Westward the Women", as well as the Boetticher films.
Speaking of western, as the U.S. widened from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific, everything, by decades, was considered 'The West' if it was west of Chicago and St. Louis which were the unmarked end of civilization. So, in actuality, in the 1700's Pittsburgh was the wild west to the people of New York, and Virginia.
So then, "Drums Along the Mohawk" & "The Last of the Mohicans" could qualify as Westerns?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Feaito:

I would say yes. The only difference is the enemy is the English Soldier instead of the Indian, but it's a different location and time period, yet they're still riding horses, fighting with flintlocks, knives, and sabers, etc. as well as protecting their homes from the enemy.

ChiO:

Even though Chicago is in the Western half of the hemisphere, I still think of it as a Midwestern city. yuk, yuk. :wink:

Anne

P.S. Who screwed up these margins? They're unreadable now.
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

My margins are fine.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have to scroll all the way to the right to read the whole line.

I think it's the photos that does it.

Anne
Anne