I See a Dark Stranger (1947)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

I See a Dark Stranger (1947)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Anyone else recording this one? Apparently RO has been hunting it for years! Kerr is always good, so I took the chance.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

What a terrific film. All day long, one great little gem after another, so many are different from each other, but each is a gem unto itself.

It was so hard spending most of the film watching a hate-filled Deborah Kerr. What a great performance in a film that kept me watching the whole time. Why did Trevor Howard EVER get these beautiful women?!!

I'm glad this film is available on DVD - it's now at the top of my list. I wish the others were!

These screenwriters also wrote THE LADY VANISHES and GREEN FOR DANGER, and did the excellent comedy BELLES OF ST. TRINIANS, maybe the best of that quartet.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Yes Ollie, how did Trevor get those beautiful women? Deborah was pretty hate filled, but also, so dumb. I guess listening to those stories would do it, but her dad was entertaining his customers, he didn't even know she was listening, and she worked herself up into a tizzy about the English. For Heaven sake, Cromwell was dead 300 years!!! girl, let it go.

You're also right about a great day for TCM. I hope a lot of you folks set your recorders today. If not, read over the comments on the different threads from todays movies. You will want to find them on Netflix or wherever you can.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

[quote]Why did Trevor Howard EVER get these beautiful women?!!/quote]

Holy cats, I know several women, relatives and friends who could answer that question! He was a very attractive fellow. No, not a movie star handsome leading man, but jeez, much more appealing than a dozen conventionally handsome types.

This movie is right on the money about people who romanticized the Irish Troubles, (and who continue to do so). I did wonder why Trevor fell for her character, but then, whenever Deborah Kerr took a moment to stop speaking, she was so very lovely, I guess it's understandable.

Btw, I do understand her aversion to Oliver Cromwell.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sorry moira:

I guess I stepped on some Irish toes. I know there have been wars raging between the Irish and the British forever, but I never delved into it, and wasn't thinking very intelligently when I said what I did. Pull out the wet noodle.

I have to admit, I don't find Trevor a very romantic sort, but again, it's a to each his own situation.

I couldn't help concentrating on Deborahs' upper lip line. The make up artist did her mouth in a way I've never seen before - did you notice? He made her upper lip fuller and it really added to her face - I liked it.

Anne
Anne

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

No need to be sorry and no offense taken, Anne! After all, it's only a movie, and a very enjoyable one too!.

I think one reason that some of us like Trevor Howard is that he's not overly handsome but is a subtle actor, and, of course, as you said, to each his own. To be honest, I honestly don't see the appeal of a certain Mr. Mitchum, though I can appreciate the deceptive ease he brought to some roles and really enjoyed his low key role in The Red Pony last night, didn't you?

Re: Kerr's appearance in this movie
I think that Deborah Kerr was much lovelier (and more relaxed) in her British movies before she went to Hollywood. Perhaps it was a tendency of the Brits to have less fuss and gobs of makeup applied to her natural looking beauty. Btw, I thought that her character wasn't so much dumb as hopelessly naive, as the old I.R.A. commander at the National Gallery tried to tell her. Kerr's character seemed to be drawn to the idea of being a rebel in part because it got her the heck out of that tiny village, with everyone knowing her business. Can't blame her a bit for wanting out and wanting more, even if she was clueless about how to accomplish the construction of a life for herself. The "rebel" hat she tried to wear probably appealed to her as an identity since it meant being someone other than simply a daughter or girlfriend.

A brief sidelight on the Irish history dramatized in I See a Dark Stranger:
I thought that it was interesting that I See a Dark Stranger (1946) dealt with the real I.R.A.-Nazi connection that had occurred during the just ended war. Very little has been written about it in America, but as a sidelight of WWII, the Irish government was officially neutral, actively oppressing the I.R.A., yet maintained a diplomatic relationship with the German and other Axis powers throughout the war. Prior to the U.S. entry into the war, the tensions between Britain & Ireland had increased, in part because the British Navy desperately wanted to use Irish ports to fight the German U-Boats that, for a time, dominated the Atlantic. Also, a faction of the I.R.A. conducted random bombings that harmed civilian as well as military targets in England during the war. Given the number of Irish citizens who were serving in the British forces and those who had emigrated to Britain in order to find a job, it made their position very difficult, even though the vast majority of them had nothing to do with the I.R.A. activities. If you'd like to read a concise article about the Irish government during "The Emergency" as WWII was called by the Irish Free State, and info that is still emerging about that period, you might click here.

This film, while I'm sure it irked those who cling to historical injustices, seemed pretty effective to me in revealing the foolishness of fighting battles that occurred long ago, without caricaturing the Irish people. Of course, it may be a trite observation, but if one looks around the world, in every continent, people still seem to be all too willing to kill each other every day over some ancient injury--though thank God, tensions between Ireland-U.K. do seem to be easing.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I have to admit the larger POLITICAL question that popped around my brain was "Why is Trevor hooked on her with that acid temper?" Early on, she wasn't just unkind to him - she was terrible to him!

The film could have shown a destroyed Trevor earlier, like during the credits, showing he'd suffered horrible losses and was in an emotional bounce-back mode. Then, his tolerance for her harsh and hateful words toward him might have been excused by someone who'd seen and experienced a lot worse.

But on the initial outing, I kept thinking, "Get out now, Trevor - use the More Fish In The Sea analogy, but just walk away..."

Then, seeing his face react to the gravity - the profundity of his chasing this SPY - and realizing how he's put himself in terminal status - I was very impressed with that.

Like Burt Lancaster in THE KILLERS with Ava Gardner and William Hurt in BODY HEAT with Kathleen Turner, I SEE A DARK STRANGER is another answer to the question, "If a woman's good-looking enough, can she get a man to do anything?"

I just couldn't understand why Trevor thought those incredibly few breadcrumbs she'd throw him were enough to keep him chasing along.

Maybe that's the weakest part of this story, but films and cohesive story-logic aren't always necessary for a good movie.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I love the backstory that you gave Trevor's character, Ollie. You're right, we learn precious little about Howard's character and why he is apparently such a masochist when it comes to Bridie the Terrible (but oh, so pretty).

They definitely could've filled in the hazy areas more, though Trevor Howard's reaction when he realized the import of Kerr's involvement and his realization that he was hooked--effective though it was--would have had an added emotional weight.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

As I said, I was not being very intelligent when I typed what I did. I am forever looking for different angles and occasions which occurred during our Civil War, which is still being fought in some areas of the U.S. today, so there is example enough for me to think before I type.

Ollie, I too, like your backstory, sometimes I also fill in my own to make the movie more interesting. And, Moira, I thought of mentioning my Bob, but being the possessive cretin I am, I didn't want to leave myself open to picks and pans of him. Yes, I loved him in The Red Pony, I never saw it before, and I thought I had seen everything he ever did. That title slipped away from my sights somehow. You're probably correct about Deborah also. I have often remarked how hard and unnatural the 50's make up was, and although DK is lovely, she might have looked even better if they had left her 'natural' look alone.

Anne
Anne

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I suspect that the few weak points in this film's story don't amount to a hill of beans because the performances and the rest of the story trapped me in and took me along.

And then I'm considering DARK STRANGER Kerr and HERE TO ETERNITY Kerr, and that's going to be an interesting comparison.

Earlier comments here about DARK STRANGER Kerr's being practically brainwashed on pub rhetoric, and having youthful exuberance turned into a vein of poison activities...

Then seeing her years of marriage turned into another vein of poison. Kind of like two ends of the candle.

And she does both with such effectiveness. Congrats to her, and I think she'll get decades more of fans.
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:
I guess I stepped on some Irish toes. I know there have been wars raging between the Irish and the British forever, but I never delved into it, and wasn't thinking very intelligently when I said what I did. Pull out the wet noodle.

Anne
No biggie, Anne; for what it's worth, Cromwell's pretty despised in Scotland, as well.
Heck, he was, ultimately, even demonized by the the very English Parliament that put him in power, and, really (politics & religion aside), the only concrete thing anyone could ever charge him with was simply doing his appointed job far & away too successfully, too often & too well!